FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> inFamous (PS3)
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

This is an absolute must play for anyone with a PS3. It's fun, addictive and surprisingly deep for an open world game. While not quite as impressive as GTA IV, it's got a lot more going on that Crackdown, which I also enjoyed.

Seriously, check it out.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

If I had a PS3, I'd be on this like stink on a monkey. Instead, I'll have to wait for Prototype (and maybe Red Faction) for my next open world adventure.
I wish I was rich sometimes...
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:35 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Heavy Rain is my 'console-selling- app for PS3, but this one is close. If Sony can keep exclusives like this and HR coming, I may actually save up and buy one.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:16 am  Reply with quote

Heavy Rain will be awesome, no doubt. But really with MGS 4 and Uncharted being available already and Uncharted 2 on the horizon, not to mention all the functionality the console has, being a gamer, PS3 is a no-brainer. Provided one can afford it.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:18 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

You really see Uncharted to be a console-seller? I don't see a single console-selling exclusive. On the 360? The list of console-sellers is as long as your arm. Sony has a LONG way to go with convincing more devs to make games like inFamous that fully use the system's potential -and- are a fun game. Heavy Rain is the next one, but will we ever see a major franchise like a Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc. hit the console as an exclusive? Doubt it. Right now, we'll keep getting one-shots until the install base increases, and that won't happen till they shave $100 off the price.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:44 am  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
You really see Uncharted to be a console-seller? I don't see a single console-selling exclusive.

Considering that I bought the PS3 so I could play Uncharted I'd have to say yes. And it was worth it. I played the game 4 times. That and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Quote:
On the 360? The list of console-sellers is as long as your arm. Sony has a LONG way to go with convincing more devs to make games like inFamous that fully use the system's potential -and- are a fun game. Heavy Rain is the next one, but will we ever see a major franchise like a Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc. hit the console as an exclusive? Doubt it. Right now, we'll keep getting one-shots until the install base increases, and that won't happen till they shave $100 off the price.

It depends on what you mean by "major" because Uncharted is a franchise with Among Thieves dropping in the fall, and it makes every game on the PS3 and 360 look like crap.

Then you have Resistance, Killzone, inFamous and so on which will all become or have become franchises.

I love my 360, but I love my PS3 just as much. With rare exception, every single exclusive title has been great. Can't say the same about 360. I've only loved Mass Effect and Left 4 Dead. I liked Dead Rising and Crackdown but neither sold me on the console.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

Look at that. You guys are talking about consoles with a mature, logical mind. None of this "PS3 suks cause I sez so, shitbird!"
Honestly, I think the reason I haven't got a PS3 yet is I spend too much time on my 360 as it is. Uncharted looks awesome, as well as other exclusive games like Little Big Planet (sorry MGS, it's over between us). Not to mention I have a TV that would take advantage of a Blue Ray, where would I ever find the time to screw around on teh internet?
If it were to drop to $300, however, the temptation might be a little too much...
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

Team Ico's next game is moving along as well and if that doesn't sell systems I don't know what will. I play the PS3 far more than I do my 360 but I only play exclusives on the 360 because it's only a matter of time before it dies again. I guess hindsight is 20/20.
CMax
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

I am totally loving inFamous. Everytime I think about putting it down I get a new power that totally changes the way the game is played.

Nice little comic book sections that fill in the story. Phone calls during missions just to make you laugh. Random people popping up asking you “What poster is better?” while you are chasing a beast. It kind of reminds me of the Spider-Man 2 Game when it comes to side missions - people are just kinda there, tell you "Go do that!" and you do it, but it's ok cause the missions are fun as hell and you can complete them in multiple ways.

The city is huge, but easy to navigate. You can climb ANYTHING, something that was absent in Crackdown.

And it has some satisfying difficulty to it. When I had it on easy I still got my ass handed to me.

The worst thing might be the controls as the movements seem a bit floaty at times, but whatever. I'm really happy that I have a PS3 because of this game now - it's just so much fuckin' fun and will probably be my game of the year.

As much as I love this for a PS3 exclusive I wish it were cross-platform only because Cole (the main guy in inFamous) and Alex Mercer (main guy from Prototype) would be on a frickin' collision course and that would be a hell of a game.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

I've tried and tried to get into sandbox style games but just can't do it. I always seem to break the illusion that you can go anywhere and do anything and get pulled right out of the game.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:05 pm  Reply with quote

You would think that shooting electricity from your fingertips would get boring, but it really doesn't. I'm six hours in and I'm hooked. This game beats the shit out of Prototype. Sure, you can't transform your body into a deadly weapon like you can in Prototype, but you feel more relevent to the environment in inFamous. You're not just a grim reaper.....although you can be.

You're also not bombarded by dozens of armed men, monsters, tanks and helicopters. There's no shitty targeting system either. Bring on inFamous 2!
CMax
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:17 am  Reply with quote

inFamous also has a great thing going for it in that it's difficulty is always around the same.

Prototype you go from killing everything with ease and grace and then all of a sudden you are ass raped by everything that moves and restarting the last checkpoint for the 10th time.
Screamz
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:52 am  Reply with quote

I'm a little late on this, but I finally got this game and have to say it has become one of my favorite video games. I've played through it like four times already and I'm still not sick of it. I still get excited every time I replay it when I obtain a new power.

I'm just really anxious hoping they'll do inFamous 2... Cool
arandomthought
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

I started on normal, and the game told me to go to hard mode. This game was easy to take advantage of the climbing system, as well as certain powers. I love this game.
CMax
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:44 am  Reply with quote

Screamz wrote:
I'm just really anxious hoping they'll do inFamous 2... Cool

It's in the works right now - but they are looking to replace the voice actor that played Cole.