FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Das Boot
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:26 am  Reply with quote

Wolfgang Petersen knocked it out of the park with this one. Brilliant movie. brilliant acting from the entire cast. It is over 3 hours long and incredibly intense from beginning to end. I can count on one hand the number of horror films that can match its intesity. It also turns things around and I find myself feeling sympathetic and rooting for the bad guys. In this case a German U-Boat and her crew.

I love war movies almost as much as I love horror especially the ones about naval combat. I served on a Destroyer during the Gulf war. Got to go through the Suez Canal behind a Battleship and then watch them fire all the guns at the same time as they pummeled an island. Very impressive sight to behold.iBattleshipss are fucking enormous. There were two of them in the Gulf war and then they got decommisioned along with all the Destroyers. The goofy looking Frigates took over with their fancy gas turbine engines. Bah the Destroyer would take out a Ftigate I'm sure.I lleft the Navy after decommisiong 2 Destroyers and they gave me orders to go and decommision yet another one and I said fuck you and got out,. Thank God too because they were starting to put women on warships. Bad idea.

I got off track . This is an amazing movie and watching it in German adds to the movie. I didn't like it in English at all. The acting is so amazing I felt like I was on a German U-Boat. I think the end of the movie is there so as not to Totally piss off Americans.

This DVD costs 35 bucks. It is a must watch movie.
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:25 am  Reply with quote

I haven't seen it in ages but remember loving it.

Didn't expect a guy called "Floydian Trip" to be a Gulf War veteran, though. Smile
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

What's in a name? I used to go by Lloyd the bartender.

I shouldn't say Gulf War because I don't want it to be confused with the other Gulf War. I was in Desert Storm.
Lantern Man
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

Location: an hour south of Tampa... just follow the "old man" smell.

Floydian Trip wrote:

I love war movies almost as much as I love horror especially the ones about naval combat. I served on a Destroyer during the Gulf war. Got to go through the Suez Canal behind a Battleship and then watch them fire all the guns at the same time as they pummeled an island. Very impressive sight to behold.iBattleshipss are fucking enormous. There were two of them in the Gulf war and then they got decommisioned along with all the Destroyers. The goofy looking Frigates took over with their fancy gas turbine engines. Bah the Destroyer would take out a Ftigate I'm sure.I lleft the Navy after decommisiong 2 Destroyers and they gave me orders to go and decommision yet another one and I said fuck you and got out,. Thank God too because they were starting to put women on warships. Bad idea.

small world...

I was in, from '85 to '91. I was on one of those boxy-looking Aegis cruisers. (We called them "Ticos", short for "Ticonderoga" class.)

I was in during Desert Storm. I remember thinking, "THERE'S A FUCKING WAR ON???!!! I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS!!! WTF!!!"

My ship never got sent over there. I don't think it would have mattered if we had gone, as more sailors died outside that war than in it. (Iowa and the Stark come to mind.)

I do however, remember seeing the Iowa blasting away at the island of Vieques. It was prettty impressive. We would fire our little 70 pound shells at a hill and hit it, then one of the Iowa's 2000-pound shells would land and level the hill.

If you get a chance, watch "Carrier" on PBS. It took me back, though it was very weird to see women sailors. Not bad, I guess, but weird.

As for your destroyer, I'm guessing it was a Coontz class? I'm just guessing, as it's the only destroyer I know at the time that didn't have gas turbines.

And once again: small fucking world.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

Very cool. Yeah you're right on the class. Cruisers are fucking badass. Love them. I was over there for over a year and a half. It was Desert Shield mostly and we drilled night and day and then it was Desert Storm for about a week. After that we went to some coutry in the Mediteranean and helped put an end to a civil war that had erupted.

Being around the Battleships and all the different Aircraft Carriers and having F-14's do flybys and putting on impromtu airshows for us I was totally impressed with our military might but all the technology in the world would be useless without the men and women operating it all. I was feeling like we were pretty invincible.

It wasn't all work though we had a good band on board and were eating steak, lobster and pizza most nights.

I miss the ocean now though.
Lantern Man
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

Location: an hour south of Tampa... just follow the "old man" smell.

"I miss the ocean now though."

Watching this one makes me almost seasick. Make sure you play it with the sound on, as the music is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcHZHcDV6tw
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

That is awesome. You're right, love the music. Laughing