FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra - New Trailer
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:10 am  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
Uhm....what was wrong with The Exorcist?

Well, considering that I laughed through out the entire movie and it wasn't supposed to be funny, I'd say the movie is a fail. Especially the melodramatic acting and every scene in which Reagan is possessed.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:11 am  Reply with quote

cybershark wrote:
I know your trying to help frank, but I don't like being told what to watch,

You're nurturing quit the chip on your shoulder. He's not telling you what to watch. He's making a recommendation.
cybershark
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Well i'd say telling me not to make another post until I watch a film definitely sounds like a demand to me, maybe I mistook that statement, but regardless, I most likely won't see The Godfather for quite awhile.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:40 am  Reply with quote

cybershark wrote:
Well i'd say telling me not to make another post until I watch a film definitely sounds like a demand to me, maybe I mistook that statement, but regardless, I most likely won't see The Godfather for quite awhile.

Yup, that was a joke. Guess I'll explain...
I suggested you watch the Godfather and then speaking about required viewing, I kinda got off subject and (jokingly) demanded that you watch all the classic Universal monster movies such as House of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, Dracula (Spanish version!) etc. I firmly believe any horror fan should know his or her roots and at least know who Jack Pierce, James Whale, Tod Browning and all the others responsible for the classic horror movies are. And if you haven't seen them all yet, it might take a couple of days, hence the remark at the end of my post. It's just my sense of humor, buddy. Nothing to take offense at.
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:46 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
LSD Zombie wrote:
Uhm....what was wrong with The Exorcist?

Well, considering that I laughed through out the entire movie and it wasn't supposed to be funny, I'd say the movie is a fail. Especially the melodramatic acting and every scene in which Reagan is possessed.

False.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

No, no. 100% true. The movie is a joke to me. The only moment I found remotely "scary" or rather unsettling, was the dream when he sees his mother go down the subway stairs.
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:14 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

No, no. 100% true. The movie is a joke to me. The only moment I found remotely "scary" or rather unsettling, was the dream when he sees his mother go down the subway stairs.

That's great and all, but it doesn't stop it from being one of the most flawlessly written, directed, and shot horror film of it's time and ours. The movie is like one big painting with rich living breathing characters and a whole lot of troubling social commentaries.

You may not like it dude, but the movie is way more important than any movie you and I will ever do most likely.
Emy
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

I don't really understand the never watching a movie twice, but maybe that's just me.

There are very few movies that I have seen that I will never watch again (rare exemples are Dr. Sachs, Brother which I walked out of in front of its director, ...)

On the other hand, there are lots of movies that I am seen a very high number of times like Star Wars, all the Asterix movies, ... I think our DVDs of Shaun of the Dead, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Amelie, Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra, Taxi, The Princess and the Warrior, ... are so used they will eventually stop playing.
Emy
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

Also, I have never seen the Godfather movies but have seen The Exorcist.
ImTheMoon
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

I saw the Godfather for the first time only a couple of years ago, what made the experience really nice was that I got to see it on a the big screen.
cybershark
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

Oh i've rewatched films before, used to do it all the time when I was younger, nowadays though, I only rewatch films if they're playing on TV and I havne't seen thme for a long time.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:

That's great and all, but it doesn't stop it from being one of the most flawlessly written, directed, and shot horror film of it's time and ours. The movie is like one big painting with rich living breathing characters and a whole lot of troubling social commentaries.

Written? Eh...I don't know about that. Directed? Well, considering that I found it funny, not the desired effect, that's debatable as well, and yes, it looks great. So do a lot of other movies. Hardly enough to qualify your claims.

Quote:
You may not like it dude, but the movie is way more important than any movie you and I will ever do most likely.

Well considering that both of us are just starting out, I think that's a bit premature. Especially since timing is everything with what movies make that kind of impact. It came at the right time. It's that simple.

Look at TCM. I love it, and it's a classic and will remain so. But it has some of the worst acting I've ever seen in a movie. If that came out now, it wouldn't get the love it does. You may not think so, but a lot of the "important" movies are that way because of the time they were released and the social climate they were released in. I'm actually kind of sick of the praise the Exorcist gets because it's incredibly overrated.
cybershark
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, i'm probably never gonna see THe Exorcist either, dosne't too great at all, and your feelings about THe exorcist are pretty much the exact same feelings I harbor for the original Friday The 13th, there is NOTHING special about that film, and besides it was mainly inspired by A Bay Of Blood.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:01 am  Reply with quote

Ok, initially I thought the trailer looked retarded. But after seeing TV spots numerous times and reading Devin Farachi's positive review, I'm actually considering seeing this one. I'd be lying if I said it didn't look fun. Did I just type that? Damn it, I did!
arandomthought
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:57 am  Reply with quote

It was a fun movie, Snake Eyes is spot on, and beyond that, I just pop it in with the rest of the action flicks. A lot of stupid stuff happens, but I can deal with having to weaponize a weapon in order to set it off. Destro has some neat parts though the scottish accent turned me off. And Kobra Kommander is amazing. The mask is kind of irritating(it looks like it has a handlebar), the "twist"/big reveal is lame, and is obvious. But it really does make up for it with how fun it was.