Is KILL BILL One Movie or Two? Quentin Tarantino Sets the Record Straight

A couple of days back, we reported on the possibility of Quentin Tarantino and Uma Thurman reuniting to make Kill Bill Vol. 3. But is “Vol. 3” really an accurate way to describe a new Kill Bill movie? Though Kill Bill was released as two films (titled Vol. 1 and Vol. 2), the entire saga was filmed at once, with Tarantino intending to release one, mammoth production.

Related Article: Quentin Tarantino & Uma Thurman Have Discussed Making KILL BILL: VOL. 3

So is Kill Bill one movie or two? Fans can debate the issue until the cows come home, but Tarantino has the final word–and he’s given it! Here’s what he told our friends at CinemaBlend:

“Technically we released it as two movies, and there is a closing and an opening credits (on each movie), but I made it as one movie and I wrote it as one movie, (so it’s one movie).”

Any questions?

Tarantino was also asked if he thinks Kill Bill would have been as popular if they were released as a single film:

“Now it works really good that way. Frankly, the truth of the matter is, I don’t think it would’ve been as popular as a four-hour movie. I literally had a guy say that to me. It was one of those weird diamond bullet moments where you can’t unhear it. He said, ‘Quentin, here’s the thing. My uncle would love this movie, but he wouldn’t love it at four hours.'”

Quentin Tarantino’s 9th film, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, arrives in US theaters this Friday (July 26th). Check out the synopsis and trailer below.

Synopsis:
Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood visits 1969 Los Angeles, where everything is changing, as TV star Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his longtime stunt double Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt) make their way around an industry they hardly recognize anymore. The ninth film from the writer-director features a large ensemble cast and multiple storylines in a tribute to the final moments of Hollywood’s golden age.

Do you agree that Kill Bill worked better as two films? Are you excited to check out Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this weekend? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram! You can also carry on the convo with me personally on Twitter @josh_millican.

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: