FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Sins of a Solar Empire
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:54 pm  Reply with quote

I've had Homeworld on my mind lately but maybe this game will suffice. Anyone play it?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:46 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great feedback guys I bought it.

I also bought Dawn of War II (Love me some Warhammer) and a shiny new Nostromo N52TE Speedpad Tournament Edition.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:05 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

I actually bought it, and have wanted to play it for a long time, but I have yet to get into it, mostly because I have too much on my plate. I'm not big on RTS's, but I've heard it's a solid game all around. Also, I've been wanting to play EVE Online as well, I'm a big fan of spacefaring games, especially ones where you can build your own ships.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

I've been tempted with Eve myself but I'm just not really into MMO's anymore. I read through their forums on this game and everyone seems to love it.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

I've been playing this game for a while, and it is fantastic. Ive actually just started pc gaming(with the exception of starcraft and warcraft), so I'm starting with the early stuff(freeware dos games), and some 90's era gaming(home world 1&2, sub titans, space ranger 2), and just going up the list.

I need to find myself a copy of this game, and comp. that can run this. If you like games where you can build ships, look for galactic civilizations 2.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

A desire to p-lay Homeworld is what led me to this game.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:51 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
A desire to p-lay Homeworld is what led me to this game.

Homeworld is a little more open-ended in the sense that you can fly and follow your ships anywhere, where as sins, you're limited to hopping from planet to planet or through a black hole to another galaxy. Well this is fine, I don't believe this is similar enough to homeworld to make it a substitute.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

I still would like to get my hands on Homeworld but Sins sounds like a damn good game. I still haven't loaded it up yet which is good because my computer crashed last night.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:24 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Floydian Trip wrote:
I still would like to get my hands on Homeworld but Sins sounds like a damn good game. I still haven't loaded it up yet which is good because my computer crashed last night.

Gametap used to have the Homeworld series available. That service is still worth the monthly fee if you like retro games and play enough PC games to make it worth your while. (I don't, I mainly play console now, so paying for Gametap was silly.)
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:11 am  Reply with quote

Thanks but I'll come across it eventually I'm sure.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:36 am  Reply with quote

Good luck with that, the game is about $50, I found it for $14, but it was just the disc, in scratched condition.

I recomend sins though. Def good stuff.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

This game is much more complex than I thought it was going to be. I've gotten used to dumbed down RTS's on the consoles.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
This game is much more complex than I thought it was going to be. I've gotten used to dumbed down RTS's on the consoles.

I just wish they'd make a pc port of the console rts to the computer. The added control alone would make it a better game(I'm looking at you avp extinction, and goblin commander). Have you ever tried future tactics? It's a budget game, but I really like it. It's a combination of rts, and fps. That's about the only way I could explain it.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

arandomthought wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

I just wish they'd make a pc port of the console rts to the computer. The added control alone would make it a better game(I'm looking at you avp extinction, and goblin commander). Have you ever tried future tactics? It's a budget game, but I really like it. It's a combination of rts, and fps. That's about the only way I could explain it.

I haven't heard of that one. I've got my hands full with this one. It's incredibly deep and I can tell the games are going to be long. It's pretty overwhelming right now and I've barely gotten started.

I never played AvP. I heard nothing but bad things about it.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
arandomthought wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

I haven't heard of that one. I've got my hands full with this one. It's incredibly deep and I can tell the games are going to be long. It's pretty overwhelming right now and I've barely gotten started.

I never played AvP. I heard nothing but bad things about it.

I enjoy it for what it is. It's not great, but it's not bad. It's about what I expected, and I really enjoy it.