FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> A Bioshock movie? Seriously?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

And it's not being directed by Uwe Boll!!!

Gore Verbinski is a pretty damn capable director. What could he have possibly seen in this tripe that would make him think there's a movie here? I don;t know about anyone else but I need a good dose of tension to make it through a game and Bioshock was one of the most unintense and easy games I have ever played.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:41 pm  Reply with quote

Your disdain for Bioshock has been duly noted. Very Happy
As for Gore being a capable director has yet to be seen. Absolutely none of the movies he's ever directed have impressed or even entertained me, with the possible exception on The Ring. No, no, that one stunk too. Anyway, is it his fault or has he just gotten some bad gigs? My money is on the latter and if he ever gets a good script he'll have a chance to redeem himself. But what do I know? A lot of people love the pirate movies and I've been told I just didn't "get" The Weather Man.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:11 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

See, you're both nuts. Bioshock is the best game ever made, flat-out, and -other- than The Ring, Verbinski has consistently churned out enjoyable, well-made movies.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:55 pm  Reply with quote

A Nick Cage fan I'm not but The Weather Man is an awesome movie. I related so well to the character.
theGoldenSimatar
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

I think for me the problem with a Bioshock movie is that the game is very linear in it's storytelling. Though there is a vast richness to the world, the game moves in a linear way. And being as how there is only one game thus far, an adaptation would be difficult.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:19 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

theGoldenSimatar wrote:
I think for me the problem with a Bioshock movie is that the game is very linear in it's storytelling. Though there is a vast richness to the world, the game moves in a linear way. And being as how there is only one game thus far, an adaptation would be difficult.

I think it'd just be a retelling of the story from the game, with some fleshing out of the characters. We'd need to see the guy you're playing, he'd need to have a personality. We'd need to care. Past that, the game has such an amazingly deep story, emotional highlights, and twists that would make M Night Shamalamadingdong weep, it's kind of ready-made for a film.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

could be interesting
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

Well the movie is stalled and Verbinski might be out as director so I'm far less interested now.
krawlingkhaos
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

I loved the game but gotta vote 'no' on a movie version because I think the scope of the project is beyond any studio's willingness to tackle. If Fox was unwilling to set AvP in space due to budgetary resitrictions I'm mortified of what penny-pinching execs would do to this property. I hope this, like Lost Planet, gets scuttled by its price tag. Bioshock on the cheap would be an abomination. My biggest nightmare would be to go to the theater and see actors in front of green-screens in a full CG Rapture being chased by splicers that look like the creatures from 'I Am Legend.' Hollywood made a DOOM movie without demons and where the final fight was a kung-fu battle between two dudes. Resident Evil went from being survival horror to whatever the hell its become. Hollywood seems incapable of grasping even the basic concept of what makes a game work and what aspects to maintain in an adaptation for the screen.

Come to think of it, have video games EVER made a successful transition to screen. Ever? I'm not sure I can think of one that worked. (If someone does, let me know...) I would love to see Bioshock become the Dark Knight of video game movies, but I guess I'm just to glass-half-empty to have any hope for it.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:52 am  Reply with quote

krawlingkhaos wrote:
I loved the game but gotta vote 'no' on a movie version because I think the scope of the project is beyond any studio's willingness to tackle. If Fox was unwilling to set AvP in space due to budgetary resitrictions I'm mortified of what penny-pinching execs would do to this property. I hope this, like Lost Planet, gets scuttled by its price tag. Bioshock on the cheap would be an abomination. My biggest nightmare would be to go to the theater and see actors in front of green-screens in a full CG Rapture being chased by splicers that look like the creatures from 'I Am Legend.' Hollywood made a DOOM movie without demons and where the final fight was a kung-fu battle between two dudes. Resident Evil went from being survival horror to whatever the hell its become. Hollywood seems incapable of grasping even the basic concept of what makes a game work and what aspects to maintain in an adaptation for the screen.

Come to think of it, have video games EVER made a successful transition to screen. Ever? I'm not sure I can think of one that worked. (If someone does, let me know...) I would love to see Bioshock become the Dark Knight of video game movies, but I guess I'm just to glass-half-empty to have any hope for it.

Mortal Kombat is to this day still probably the best translation to screen, which is kind of sad. I can't think of a better one.

The problem with Bioshock being the Dark Knight of video game movies is that we went through a LOT of trial and error before getting to the Dark Knight. They have to make a video game movie on the cheap that becomes critically successful BEFORE they can tackle a project like that.

I think the original Clock Tower would make a boss movie, and could be done for fairly cheap.
CMax
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:41 am  Reply with quote

I'm in the vast minority of people that didn't enjoy Bioshock. Yeah - I'm a horrible, horrible person.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:53 am  Reply with quote

CMax wrote:
I'm in the vast minority of people that didn't enjoy Bioshock. Yeah - I'm a horrible, horrible person.

It's cool. That's why there is the Wii.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

I'm generally not too into FPS's, but this game is just gorgeous.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

The only video game adapted movie I like is Silent Hill.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:45 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Floydian Trip wrote:
The only video game adapted movie I like is Silent Hill.

It was given to a writer/director team who understood it. That was my hope for Bioshock, given Verbinski's glorious visions of deep-sea horror in the Pirates films. Now that he's off the project, my hopes are dimming substantially.