FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Battlestar Galactica
FanClubOfEvil
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:18 pm  Reply with quote

Also, I propose we call the series Battlestar Deus Ex. I think it would be more fitting.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:03 am  Reply with quote

I'm kinda with you on this.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:35 am  Reply with quote

Finally got to watch it and was incredibly satisfied. I feel like everything came together at the end and while I highly doubt it was the plan all along, I LOVED how the dream played out in reality. What I didn't like was that Cavil was so easily convinced, but I guess the idea of getting back resurrection was too tempting to not attempt.

LOVED what Tyrol did to Torrie. I was hoping that would come back and boy did it ever.

I would have liked some main character deaths but I was still immensely satisfied. I'm going to miss this phenomenal show.

P.S. The only time I lost faith was the mid-section of Season 3 which felt like too many stand alones thrown together to pad the 22 ep length.
Jim_McD
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

FanClubOfEvil wrote:
Also, I propose we call the series Battlestar Deus Ex. I think it would be more fitting.

RingoJ wrote:
I'm kinda with you on this.

Thirded. I know a lot of people liked it, but man I thought this was one of the biggest cop-outs in recent memory. All this crazy stuff happening! OMG! What could it all possibly mean?!?!

God did it.

Wait, what?

God did it.

That's all you have for me? God did it and Starbuck was a fucking angel? All that weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth and you tell me GOD DID IT? Sorry, but in my opinion there was nothing profound about any of it. It was so simple, so lazy, so unimaginative. God did it. Gimme a break. I know some of you loved it and I fully accept that, but for me this was too mediocre to even qualify as terrible. What atrocious writing.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

How is it a "cop out" when they have been alluding to it and driving down this path from day one?
Sirand
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:14 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Again, theology and religion was what drove the Battlestar mythos. Characters were ranting about "God's plan", retrieving mystical artifacts and fulfilling prophecies the entire show.

There was no way they could have explained everything empirically. It was certainly a more fitting revelation that saying that everything was some big elaborate cylon conspiracy...which is what I was terrified they would do.

People who say it was a cop out or deus ex machina need to go back and pay closer attention to the series.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
Again, theology and religion was what drove the Battlestar mythos. Characters were ranting about "God's plan", retrieving mystical artifacts and fulfilling prophecies the entire show.

There was no way they could have explained everything empirically. It was certainly a more fitting revelation that saying that everything was some big elaborate cylon conspiracy...which is what I was terrified they would do.

People who say it was a cop out or deus ex machina need to go back and pay closer attention to the series.

Exactly. Kara Thrace was always supposed to play a role in them finding Earth. I love the twist that it was 150,000 years prior to our civilization, by the way. But back to the topic at hand. I'm a huge Buffy fan and I know that the Scythe was "deus ex machina" because there wasn't even a hint as to that existing in the Buffyverse. No, Fray doesn't count because it's not canon. But BG has always been about religion and faith, military, technology and the battles between them crossing over each other's lines.
Jim_McD
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:26 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:

BAH! Smile

Sorry Sirand, I just don't buy it and I'm not even atheist. Just seems to me that if they had been more creative with the writing it would have been a more meaningful reveal, not so heavy handed. The God angle doesn't really bug me, it's the way that it was so ineffectively used. Kara just disappears? The Admiral flies away with Laura, why would she have wanted to die in a spaceship instead of sitting comfortably in the grass in the sunshine? Then the admiral is just "never coming back"? I know I'm in the minority here but to me it was like getting continuously hit in the head with a sledgehammer.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:08 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not reading any of these posts as I have yet to watch the final 3 shows. I really don't want it to end. They did lose me for awhile between seasons 3 and 4 but I felt they made up for all that during the final season.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

Just watched Caprica. A fairly interesting movie about the birth of the Cylon.
Sirand
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:22 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Really dug Caprica. Very Philip K Dick. It should be enough to fill the void left by Battlestar.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:23 pm  Reply with quote

I liked all the boobies.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:04 am  Reply with quote

Very well produced tease of whats to come. I'll be tuning in come 2010.
rjschwarz
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:06 am  Reply with quote

Didn't much like Caprica. Beyond the terrorist blast nothing really happened and what did felt as if I'd seen if before.
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:12 pm  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
Really dug Caprica. Very Philip K Dick. It should be enough to fill the void left by Battlestar.

Sounds good. Caprica just arrived from Netflix and I look forward to it.

I'm on Season 4 of BSG. Brilliant show. Blew my expectations out of the water!