FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Battlestar Galactica
Rottenjesus
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

I'd rather watch something that isn't a remake. Unlike you.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

rjschwarz wrote:
I loved Razer and the Mutiny episode and the first half of the final ep but most of the rest of those two seasons seemed too soap opera-ish. Too much of who is dating who and the baby, the baby.

The show has ALWAYS had soapy writing. It's never really bothered me. Primarily because the actors are so damn good.
rjschwarz
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:26 pm  Reply with quote

But in order to wrap it up they had to overdose on the soapy stuff lately and it bugged me much more than previously. I enjoyed it when they were on the run. There has been a lack of drama lately as they got into reproduction issues.

And the luddite ending turned my stomach.
Sirand
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:36 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I wouldn't call anything on the show "soapy."

Sure, there were elements involving things like cancer and love triangles...but they were things that were EARNED in the context of the story. They helped propel what was going on unlike regular soap opera gimmicks.

As for them abandoning technology at the end, I could sympathize. If I spent my life in a broken down claustrophobic rust bucket eating nothing but algae, I'd be happy as hell to ditch it all and live off the fat of the land. Especially if it served the greater good like it did.

Of course, I'm one of the few who loved the show even more when they moved away from the "us vs them" actiony stuff and started exploring all the grey areas with the cylons and humans. BSG was always a complex character study amidst a background of war, religion and politics, which is why the 4th season gripes really baffle me.

As far as I'm concerned, this show went out on top and I'm still amazed they took some shitty 70's Star Wars rip-off and turned into one of the greatest pieces of science-fiction to exist in any medium.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:54 am  Reply with quote

Rottenjesus wrote:
So you're ignorant...Unlike me. Awesome.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:55 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
I'm still amazed they took some shitty 70's Star Wars rip-off and turned into one of the greatest pieces of science-fiction to exist in any medium.

But it's a remake, therefore it can't be better than a shitty Star Wars rip-off.
Sirand
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:45 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Sirand wrote:
I'm still amazed they took some shitty 70's Star Wars rip-off and turned into one of the greatest pieces of science-fiction to exist in any medium.

But it's a remake, therefore it can't be better than a shitty Star Wars rip-off.

It's a remake in name only. Just like the one or two handful of decent remakes made.
Rottenjesus
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:05 am  Reply with quote

Rottenjesus wrote:

Yes I'm ignorant...in lieu to remakes. So I'm pretty blissful. Oh and whole "God did it" thing is just such lazy writing. They should've gone with a ballsy ending but instead they went limp. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:02 am  Reply with quote

Rottenjesus wrote:
Rottenjesus wrote:

Yes I'm ignorant...in lieu to remakes. So I'm pretty blissful. Oh and whole "God did it" thing is just such lazy writing. They should've gone with a ballsy ending but instead they went limp. Mr. Green

There are so many quality remakes that writing one off for some misguided and yes, ignorant, reason doesn't make you blissful...Just ignorant. The entire show was about faith so God playing a part in how it all ends makes perfect sense for the show. Not to mention that the original was a terrible show so a remake of it was not only a great idea, but it far surpassed the original in every possible way.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:03 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
Sirand wrote:

It's a remake in name only. Just like the one or two handful of decent remakes made.

I wouldn't say in name only for this show...It's the same concept, same character names and such. It's just a really good remake of a bad show.
rjschwarz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:31 am  Reply with quote

The old show was a product of its times and that shows, still a few episodes are great fun. The initial episodes were pretty good and then the quality of that show tapered off dramatically but as a kid I didn't really care. Until Galactica 80 which was so bad I couldn't watch it.

The new show is better in every single way, including the soap operaish stuff. And by soap opera I consider things like Col Tigh dating and having a kid with one of the sixes (I don't remember which one but since he's a final five the sixes area ll his kids) and then having his wife come back from the dead. Then the baby was die. That's pure General Hospital stuff there and I could do without it.

I understand why they did that, but it just didn't entertain the way the larger issues did.

I would have liked the Luddite ending if it came from Baltar and his religious folks and not from Apollo. I think it would still have been better if they set up a hand full of small towns. They gave the impression of folks splitting off and living totally isolated. There is strength in numbers. One could grow food while others hunt, and further others herd cattle and or build things. They just sort of shat on their civilization and decided to be little more than cavemen which is silly to me.
Sirand
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:18 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

rjschwarz wrote:
And by soap opera I consider things like Col Tigh dating and having a kid with one of the sixes (I don't remember which one but since he's a final five the sixes area ll his kids) and then having his wife come back from the dead. Then the baby was die. That's pure General Hospital stuff there and I could do without it.

Still, don't consider it soapy. That subplot was integral to Tigh's character and his final acceptance of being a cylon, not to mention finally answering the cylon reproduction issue.

Plus, soap opera triangles don't usually involve S&M. Wink
rjschwarz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

Tigh was still talking about tossing the cylons out the airlock at the start of the final episode so I think it's a stretch to say that incident did much. It seemed much more like a last minute scramble to end one story line after they had decided on who the final cylon was. That is what a lot of the later stuff felt like while in previous seasons it seemed much more thought out and foreshadowed.

Still a great show, but I think they overstayed by a season.
The Buz
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:33 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Rottenjesus wrote:
Rottenjesus wrote:

Did you just read Aint It Cool Talk backs to form your opinion?
FanClubOfEvil
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:16 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you just read Aint It Cool Talk backs to form your opinion?

I formed my opinion after I drove back from LA after watching it with some friends. Unfortunately they don't agree with me that yes the 'God did it' Rolling Eyes ending sucked.

(But of course I was watching the show before any of them so based on that it will probably take them 2-3 years to realize I was right about that too)

Last edited by FanClubOfEvil on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total