Todd Talks Oz

default-featured-image

McFarlane talks OzWhen it was announced that Todd McFarlane, creator of Spawn and the main reason we have shelves lined with horror figures right now (if we’re cool, that is) announced that he was working with History of Violence screenwriter Josh Olson for a new twisted take on Oz (“McFarlane Goes to Oz” – August 2007), I was honestly surprised how many fans groaned in disappointment.

I mean, really, it’s not like the guy has a long and sorted film history, and a grown-up look at Frank L. Baum’s classic tale has been long overdue. So maybe this will help; recently, McFarlane sat with the folks at IGN Filmforce, to discuss the project and revealed that, among other things, his “Twisted Land of Oz” toy line was the starting point for the film but it has since become a ”huge, massive Lord of the Rings epic.”

Apparently he’s asking for $140 million from Warner Bros. to make it happen, so he’s being realistic about just how dark the final product can be; ”they’re not making the movie exactly that I would have made, but they’re making something. And you have to go is that something better than, even if you had the power to insist it your way, not making it,” he told them. “There are those moments where you just have to compromise a bit and go this is a collaborative effort and here’s what the studio wants. It is dark and moody, but it’s always been a PG-13 movie. You might not see that in the toys because the toys weren’t built with that PG-13 in mind. The bondage Dorothy, in my pitch, is literally an eight second scene. Just one scene of her in that.”

That might come as a disappointment to some, since bondage Dorothy is pretty freakin’ hot, but I’m sure if it does get made Todd will make up for it with great visuals. As for when that might actually happen? ”Maybe it’ll come out in a year and a half, maybe it’ll go into development hell. I’ve seen both versions.”

Keep it here and we’ll make sure you’re updated on it either way!

Johnny Butane

Got news? Click here to submit it!
Find someone to put in bondage in the Dread Central forums!
Want free stuff? Bring us new blood!

Share: 

Categorized:Uncategorized