FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> R.I.P. RE 5
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:02 am  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark- Holder of the longest logged hours to Fallout 3. Seriously, you must have like 100 hours by now, right? Very Happy
I would love to defend RE5 and tell everyone here how great it is, but I can't. Yes, fiends, the unthinkable has happened. After a quick year and a half, Ol' Frank's beloved 360 has BRICKED. At least 3 weeks, the surprisingly English-speaking young lady told me. Weep for me, for the same may happen to you.

Oh well, it gives me time to play RE4 and Phantasy Star 4 on the PS2.
STR8EVIL
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
After a quick year and a half, Ol' Frank's beloved 360 has BRICKED. At least 3 weeks, the surprisingly English-speaking young lady told me. Weep for me, for the same may happen to you.

I had a launch day 360, mine gave me the ol' RROD 9 days before the warranty was up. While partially amazed (I was the only person I or my friends knew that had a launch day 360 that hadn't given the RROD), I was mostly thankful that it finally just up and fucking died within the warranty.

They told me 3 weeks too. I got it back just a bit shy of that. When I picked it up at UPS, the guy there asked if it was a 360. I said yes, but wondered how he knew as the box isn't labeled. He told me they'd seen so many of the white boxes that MS shipped them back in, they could identify them on sight.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

STR8EVIL wrote:
frank_dracman wrote:
After a quick year and a half, Ol' Frank's beloved 360 has BRICKED. At least 3 weeks, the surprisingly English-speaking young lady told me. Weep for me, for the same may happen to you.

I had a launch day 360, mine gave me the ol' RROD 9 days before the warranty was up. While partially amazed (I was the only person I or my friends knew that had a launch day 360 that hadn't given the RROD), I was mostly thankful that it finally just up and fucking died within the warranty.

They told me 3 weeks too. I got it back just a bit shy of that. When I picked it up at UPS, the guy there asked if it was a 360. I said yes, but wondered how he knew as the box isn't labeled. He told me they'd seen so many of the white boxes that MS shipped them back in, they could identify them on sight.

I thought they mailed out boxes, but I printed my shipping label out and threw it on a shoebox. The representative told me not to put it in the original box for fear of it getting stolen. After reading your story, I wonder if the UPS guys caught on to the MS boxes and started taking those, or if they stopped sending out boxes for a different reason.
Confused

Anyway, great timing for you, eh? I would have been 7 kinds of pissed if mine died less than a month after the warranty was up. This would never had happened if I sold my kidney and bought a PS3....
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:34 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

frank_dracman wrote:
Mr. Dark- Holder of the longest logged hours to Fallout 3. Seriously, you must have like 100 hours by now, right? Very Happy

A hundred? Maybe. i don't get to play games as much as I'd like, so a lot of that time would be sitting on pause while I get called away, or sitting spinning around my char while I'm drooling on the controller, having fallen asleep while playing.

I really wish I was making that up.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:08 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Mr. Dark wrote:
frank_dracman wrote:

A hundred? Maybe. i don't get to play games as much as I'd like, so a lot of that time would be sitting on pause while I get called away, or sitting spinning around my char while I'm drooling on the controller, having fallen asleep while playing.

I really wish I was making that up.

Nice to see I'm not the only one lost in the Wasteland right now. I swear, I went back to Vault 101 and found a bunch of loot I had to drop because I was overweight when I started the game, and didn't know any better. I know there's still caps out there because I had no idea what they were used for the first 20 minutes of the game.

I still haven't started the Anchorage mission. Do you have to finish the main storyline first, because I have yet to be able to launch it.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:40 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Chainsaw wrote:
Nice to see I'm not the only one lost in the Wasteland right now. I swear, I went back to Vault 101 and found a bunch of loot I had to drop because I was overweight when I started the game, and didn't know any better. I know there's still caps out there because I had no idea what they were used for the first 20 minutes of the game.

I still haven't started the Anchorage mission. Do you have to finish the main storyline first, because I have yet to be able to launch it.

Just to completely derail the topic, you have to go to a specific spot to start it. I don't know what that is, as I don't own it yet. I'm pretty sure you must do it before you finish the main storyline, if only because the game has a hard stop at the end. Some upcoming DLC is supposed to fix that, also rising the level cap to 30, but until then I think once you pull the trigger on the ending, that's it for that character.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Chainsaw wrote:

Just to completely derail the topic, you have to go to a specific spot to start it. I don't know what that is, as I don't own it yet. I'm pretty sure you must do it before you finish the main storyline, if only because the game has a hard stop at the end. Some upcoming DLC is supposed to fix that, also rising the level cap to 30, but until then I think once you pull the trigger on the ending, that's it for that character.

Until you load your last save point.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

OK, so has anyone played RE5 yet? I'm dieing over here waiting for my 360 to come back from the grave and want to know how you guys like it.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

I thought it was great. I beat it Saturday. Right now I'm going through it on the third difficulty. I still have alot of achievements I have yet to pick up.

I think the highlight of my experience was being able to have a final showdown with an old nemesis..... Very Happy
CMax
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:42 am  Reply with quote

I've enjoyed the crap out of RE5 so far. Replay value is kind of lacking at first, but once you get your weapons upgraded enough it's hella-fun again just to see how much damage you can inflict.

It's also way funner with a live person co-op'ing with you rather than AI Sheva.
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

I love RE5. I'm about to finish Veteran.

Frankman! We need to play online.

EDIT: LSD ZOmbie - I fucking agree.
Nobodaddy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Location: Munyeca. Yo te ciaro. Yo te ciaro Ohio. Muy bonito.

I really dislike this game. The graphics are wonderfully rendered but the controls seems archaic and impenetrable to me. It's the gaming equivalent of nerd speak in a comic book shop. It's a language that the locals get but is alien and creepy to the casual interloper into their world. Three buttons to swing a machete might be fine for a hardcore game geek, but I just can't handle it. I'm going off to practice my nerd-fu with some other titles. When I'm a sufficient gamer, I'll give it another look. Hopefully I'll be ready for it then.
Count Zartro
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

I've been a fan of the series since RE1 back in 96.

I had not followed a lot of the information on RE5, and it's release snuck up on me a bit.

I picked it up and played through it and beat it.

My response is just 'meh'.

It was okay, not great but not horrible. I understand they consider the inclusion of co-op to be that evolution everyone is speaking of, but I didn't think it really fit with a Resident Evil game.

There were a lot of outside areas, and it didn't really feel like an RE game to me until about Chapter 5. Even RE 4 had that isolation feel to it, I think that having a partner, AI or a person, takes away from that.

Outside of all that, the game felt too broken up, lots of cut scenes or area changes. Plus, with saving every 10 mins that threat of dying is gone. Remember RE1 when you would save and then play for 30 mins or so just to get be-headed by a Hunter and have to go back and do it again? Brutal.

I had no real issues with not being able to run and shoot at the same time.

But when I found a lab and booted up a computer, and that Umbrella logo came up, it was a nice tribute to the old game and it did leave me thinking about what a real RE game was like.

Considering how much info was in the files about the Bio Terrorism unit Chris and Sheva work for, I suspect the RE series will keep growing into a more action based IP.

I give it 3 1/2 out of 5, overall.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

I played through this one in co-op with my son and I loved it. Co-op was definitely the right way to go with the series and it worked so well. I did try to play it solo for a bit but didn't enjoy myself nearly as much because the AI was too stupid.
MeAndMyMeatCleaver
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:05 am  Reply with quote

I got it the other day. I'm on the Mines right now.

Its okay I think. As said, controls/inventory are awkward. The AI partner is good mostly, except she loves to waste ammo. I'm pushing through doing the old "don't shoot if i don't have to" RE, and she's just firing pot shots. And healing even if i don't need it. Its fun though. But once the wonder wears off, we'll see how it holds up.