FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Shellshock 2 thoughts?
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:15 am  Reply with quote

About a month ago Uncle "homo shaving" Creepy turned some of us onto an upcoming game called Shellshock 2 Blood Trails. Ever since I have been waiting patiently for my video store to get it in. Now that I have played and beaten it, here's my thoughts.

The WW1/WW2/Vietnam/modern warfare games tend to bore me faster than Strawberry Estates. Apart from the weapon selection and a few bells and whistles, they all play pretty much the same. And before you ask, no, I don't really play online, so that aspect has little or nothing to do with my opinion of any game. It's kind of refreshing to see someone try something different by adding zombies to the mix. But does a somewhat original idea make a good game? Sort of.

Right from the start you need to realize this is a budget title. The graphics, sound, presentation and gameplay are all fair to below average compared to the big titles of today. As for me and a few others, if a game looks and sounds like it's 10 years old but is still fun to play, we'll give it a passing grade. If you're a graphics whore and expect everything to look and sound like CoD 4, open your mind and expand your horizons a little, starting with this game.

You really have to compliment the developers on trying to mix the action of a FPS with the tension of a survival horror by giving us an outbreak story, limiting ammo to the point you start sweating when you check and see you only have 23 rounds in your AK-47, and of course, the boogity boogity jump scares. All of these work fairly well, and as dated as the game looks I still thought the atmosphere was effectively creepy. So was there anything wrong with the game? Unfortunately yes.

There's something to be said about the charm of simplistic, old school gameplay, but this one brings nothing, and I mean nothing new to the bloodstained operating table. Get from point A to point B alive. There are a few of the mandatory quick time events and stationary gun placements to break things up but thats all you get. With a whopping total of eight types of firearms, (with some handguns and machine guns being different only in looks and the sound they emit) frag grenades and some useless flares, it may be historically accurate but man can it get dull. Some type of power up or abilities would have really added some much needed depth.

With ten levels clocking in at around 4-5 hours, the game will last you a weekend. The achievements are also worth checking out. You score some points for clearing each stage in 2 of the 3 difficulties (playing on easy won't get you anything except for finishing the game) and easy little stunts like killing 5 guys with one clip or throwing some boom-boom into a crowd. If you have the time and desire it's one of those games you can get 1000 g on. Also worth mentioning is the complete and total lack of any multiplayer.

Despite it's flaws I still had a good time with it. I would love to pick it up to support new ideas, but the $40 price tag just seems a little too steep for a game you can finish on a lazy weekend. Rent it for sure, and if you see it in the bargain bins for around 20 bucks, it will be money well spent.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:51 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Good review, this one completely snuck up on my so it wasn't on my radar to acquire and review. Glad someone snagged it. Smile
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:07 am  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

I dig it! I dig it a lot!