Hope You’ve Had Your Fill: Netflix Cancels SANTA CLARITA DIET

I hope you’ve all had your fill of Netflix’s zom-com Santa Clarita Diet because there will be no fourth course. The streaming giant has canceled the show after 3 seasons. Netflix released the following statement:

“The world had never known a ‘zom-com’ until Santa Clarita Diet, and we’re indebted to creator Victor Fresco for bringing this idea to Netflix. To their endless credit, the incredible Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant were totally game, with an uncanny knack for comedy that brought Sheila and Joel Hammond to vibrant life, even though one of them was undead. We’re grateful to Victor, Drew, and Timothy, along with fellow executive producers Tracy Katsky, Aaron Kaplan, Chris Miller, and Ember Truesdell and the terrific cast, including Liv Hewson and Skyler Gisondo, and crew for three hilarious seasons for Netflix members to discover for years to come.”

Showrunner Victor Fresco and executive producer Tracy Katsky released a joint statement:

“The world had never known a ‘zom-com’ until Santa Clarita Diet, and we’re indebted to creator Victor Fresco for bringing this idea to Netflix. To their endless credit, the incredible Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant were totally game, with an uncanny knack for comedy that brought Sheila and Joel Hammond to vibrant life, even though one of them was undead. We’re grateful to Victor, Drew, and Timothy, along with fellow executive producers Tracy Katsky, Aaron Kaplan, Chris Miller, and Ember Truesdell and the terrific cast, including Liv Hewson and Skyler Gisondo, and crew for three hilarious seasons for Netflix members to discover for years to come.”

Synopsis:
Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant star in this Netflix-original series as married realtors, Sheila and Joel, who are living a quiet life, raising their teenage daughter in Santa Clarita, Calif. Their world unexpectedly changes when Sheila goes through a dramatic transformation that sends her down a road of death and destruction — but leaves her looking and feeling better than ever. Barrymore and Olyphant also serve as executive producers, alongside showrunner and creator Victor Fresco.

This is a news item, not an editorial, but I still can’t help expressing dissatisfaction. Santa Clarita Diet was a great show, highly binge-able, and the chemistry between Barrymore and Olyphant was fantastic. Season 3 ended on a cliffhanger, and there was serious spinoff potential for Abby Hammond (their fictional daughter played by Liv Hewson), who was becoming something of a Buffy-type.

And, I don’t mind admitting: I’d rather see ten more seasons of Santa Clarita Diet than one more minute of that “Chilling” teenage witch. You know who I’m talking about.

Were you a fan of Santa Clarita Diet? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram!

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: