FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Dark Sector
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:40 pm  Reply with quote

So I just finished playing the game, and it was pretty good.
It really felt like they took Gears of Wars and Resident Evil 4, threw them in a room, and let nature take its course. The "stop and pop" gameplay feels like GoW, without the cool reloading trick. As you progress, you find cash that allows you to buys weapons from the arms dealer in the sewer (no joke) and weapon mods. It's like RE4's merchant, but very limited. You never seem to find enough money to really enjoy all the guns for sell, and the mods are permenant. I found myself wishing for more.
One of the more original ideas in Dark Sector is the glaive. Being able to control it mid-flight (in slow motion no less) never gets old. And while throwing it works well, it feels WAY under powered as a melee weapon. Puzzles are here, but you will never get stumped by them.
Not a bad game, but I'm glad I rented it, as it only took around 5 days to finish. 3 out of 5 from me.
Anyone else play this thing? How did you like it?
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:41 am  Reply with quote

While only having one inspired concept, the Glave, I found Dark Sector to be a very solid, good game. I enjoyed it while it lasted and was left pretty satisfied. Then I returned to Gamestop for a full refund. I love used games.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:40 am  Reply with quote

I liked it as well. I was pretty much figuring it was going to be some generic dreck but was pleasantly surprised. Very solid game. Great graphics.
Kyle.Voorhees
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

I just borrowed this from my buddy, and actually thought it was pretty decent, although a little frustrating at times (especially the fact that the Glaive blew as a melee weapon) but overall I enjoyed the experience. Oddly enough, Digital Extremes, the company who designed is located here in my city.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:13 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I just got it over the weekend. Pro-tip: some Wal-Marts have this for $9.96! It's a real bargain at that price, and working the Gamer's Edge card and some special deals, you may get that much back in credit from Gamestop if you trade it in pretty shortly after you purchase, effectively making it a free game.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

OK, I'll say it. Dark Sector is better than Gears of War. I played and beat the first one, and while the reload tactic was pretty sweet, as a one player game it didn't impress me much. Pretty graphics and sound, but the weapon choices were a little bland for me. Nothing I would play through again.
DS on the other hand, I've finished twice and am trying on the brutal difficulty now. It's just so damn satisfying to throw your razor frizbee and decapitate three unlucky fools with one swipe. It's hard to see why this one got "Worst of the Year" by some sites. It ain't perfect, but it's unique enough to hold my interest. For $10, everyone should have this game.
As a side note, Lost Planet is also like ten bucks now. Go buy it.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:00 am  Reply with quote

I'm waiting until I get a ps3. As soon as I get it, I'll be picking this up with lost planet as well. I loved lost planet, and I am pretty sure after I beat afro samurai a third time, I'm going to be wanting something with a bit more substance. This seems like it can fit the bill and after what I drop on the ps3, it will fit my budget as well.