Rest in Peace: Dread Central’s Own Zebediah De Soto Has Passed Away

Words escape me right now.

A member of the Dread Central family, Zeb became like a brother to me since our meeting almost 20 years ago when he was pitching a TV series to the cable TV startup we were working on creating at the time. He has been a part of our family here from the day Steve and I set out to do Dread Central on our own.

Many of our long-time readers will remember his work on the first animated logos for the site as well as the awesome Screamfest promos he made before setting out on pursuing a full-time career in film making.

His life and career were cut short but in the time he shared with us, he had the chance to work with many genre icons including the likes of Joe Pilato, Tony Todd, Bill Moseley, Danielle Harris, and many more.

Not only did Zeb produce our first two anthology horror films Monsterland and Zombieworld, but he also held the record for most hours of motion capture recording at Giant Studios. A literal mad scientist when it came to VFX, Zeb personally designed and created a real-time 3D compositing and facial capture system called “The Beast” that caught the eye of James Cameron.

Zeb is survived by his wife, Kristal De Soto, his four children.

We ask everyone to take a moment of silence in honor of Zeb and all that he did for us and the horror community.

I love you, brother. Until we meet again.

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: