CANDYMAN Remake Producer Clarifies: Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is Not Replacing Tony Todd

Reports that Tony Todd would be replaced by Aquaman villain Yahya Abdul-Mateen II in the upcoming Candyman reboot have been misreported. The film’s producer, Nia DaCosta, set the record straight during a recent press stop, although her words suggest something unexpected may be brewing:

“Well, it’s been slightly misreported. I can’t say what’s happening in the film because we want it to be a surprise, but he’s not replacing Tony Todd. That’s been reported, and I was just like, ‘I don’t know what to say about this. This is not right.'”

Notice how DaCosta doesn’t say Abdul-Mateen II wont be playing Candyman, just that he isn’t replacing Tony Todd. Does this mean he’ll be playing a younger version of Candyman and, more importantly, does this suggest that Todd will be returning to reprise the role he made iconic? There’s certainly room for speculation.

The Candyman remake is being penned by Jordan Peele and Win Rosenfeld; the film is eyeing a June 2020 release. We’ll keep you posted on all Candyman-related news as details emerge. Stay tuned!

While we wait, check out the synopsis and trailer for the original Candyman (released in 1992) below.

Synopsis:
Skeptical graduate student Helen Lyle (Virginia Madsen) befriends Anne-Marie McCoy (Vanessa Williams) while researching superstitions in a housing project on Chicago’s Near North Side. From Anne-Marie, Helen learns about the Candyman (Tony Todd), a knife-wielding figure of urban legend that some of her neighbors believe to be responsible for a recent murder. After a mysterious man matching the Candyman’s description begins stalking her, Helen comes to fear that the legend may be all too real.

Candyman is directed by Bernard Rose and based on the short story The Forbidden by Clive Barker.

What do you think about Nia DaCosta comments regarding the upcoming Candyman remake? Do you hope Tony Todd will be back to play the title role? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram!

Source: Collider

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: