FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Duma Key
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone read this? I'm having a real hard time getting myself to start. King just isn't what he used to be.
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:59 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

It's a damn fine book, it really is. I've not read Lisey's Stor yet, which most say is one of his best in years, but this one really got me. I read it in about a week, which is pretty good considering it's length.

Give it a chance, save for the ending I'll bet you dig it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, sounds good. I'll crack it open today. Its been sitting here since release day collecting dust.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:23 pm  Reply with quote

I'm a ways in now and dare I say that this is his best book since he's come back, so far anyway.
Mephistopheles
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't been too crazy about some of his more recent books, but I loved Duma Key. Easily one of his better novels in a while.
Orunitier
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

I'm still reading it, and it's great. I wish this book had illustrations. It should have illustrations.
bigcheen
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

First, I see the number 666 all the time, in all things around me. Perhaps its just coincidence (hope so). I'm reading Duma Key, and all the while I'm thinking about what will be on page 666. I get to page 665, which is the start of Chapter 18 "Noreen." On the reverse side is page 666, I turn to look at it, and the page comes out in my hand. I shit you not. I tugged on the pages which surround this one, and they are securely bound. I figure that this must be some kind of gag. I have a paperback version printed by Pocket Books. Has anyone else come across this? Its starting to concern me...

the book is awesome though. I read to page 666 in one day....
JackTourette500
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

King hasn't really been up to par lately, although I'll be the first to admit I loved Cell. I'm probably in the minority there though.
Avid Fan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

JackTourette500 wrote:
King hasn't really been up to par lately, although I'll be the first to admit I loved Cell. I'm probably in the minority there though.

I thought Cell was pretty fun, especially the first half. The whole supernatural hoodie kid didn't make any sense to me, but I enjoyed the tense journey up to the point of the levitating "zombies" and the mind reading hoodie dude (who's name I don't recall).
Admittedly I'm not the biggest King fan, his concepts are pretty good but I feel his execution lacks any character or style. Alot of his books have such cookie-cutter characters and there is always some mind-reading or some psychic connection, which I find a bit overdone and cheap as a vehicle of convienience. I'm a much bigger fan of his short stories, since he can hold the mood long enough to the finish with shorter tales. His longer works tend to wander and loose the sense of dread or whatever he's trying to convey at the time.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

Telecommunications is my field so the fact that everything in Cell could never happen killed it for me. It wasn't a horrible read and I was glad to have him back but I just found too many things wrong with it.
Maximum Destruction
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:59 am  Reply with quote

I liked From a Buick 8. After reading that i tried to read Talisman. I couldn't get into it.
theXporcelainXdoll
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

his more recent books just haven't been the same. i've had Duma Key sitting on my shelf since release date :/.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

You should read it.