FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> My Non-fanboy Rant on the PS3
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

Far Cry 2 is one of the best FPS I've ever played. The level of detail in the character animations alone had me in awe. And I've barely scratched the surface of the campaign. Never mind the infinitely enjoyable map editor.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:11 am  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Far Cry 2 is one of the best FPS I've ever played. The level of detail in the character animations alone had me in awe. And I've barely scratched the surface of the campaign. Never mind the infinitely enjoyable map editor.

*GASP!* You...you liked something?! I don't know what to say!
Actually, I thought you might enjoy it. As much as I like my lasers and BFGs, I also thought it was quite snassy for a reality based game. My only complaint (and I'm sure you'll point, laugh and call me a n00b) is the damn iron sights. Sorry, I don't need that much realism in my games. I've only played a few games with them, and it just feels like a crapshoot when I pull the trigger. I like the targeting reticule to tell me "yes, this bullet will indeed penetrate the skull of Mr. Nazi". FPS are not my game of choice, but they are growing on me due to the shear awesomeness of the 360 library. I'd give it 4 out of 5, but I had to return it to the video store so Fallout and me could spend some quality time together.
acp35
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:42 am  Reply with quote

I have both the 360 and the PS3. Right now the PS3 inches ahead. It actually gets the exclusives I want such as in the case of Smackdown vs Raw 2009. Still waiting for the 360 pack which whenever it arrives still won't have as much.

I really love movies and its a great blu-ray system.

With games like Uncharted, Resistance 2, Singstar, and a host of others the PS3 has done well for me.

Same with the Xbox 360. They both have there strengths and there weaknesses.
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:01 am  Reply with quote

I hardly ever play games. I just lack the patience and time in my old age.

BUT.

I won 500 bucks on the Super Bowl so I figured it was free money. I broke down and bought a PS3, if only for the Blu-Ray player. I picked up Smackdown vs Raw 2009, Dead Space, Madden 2009, and Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. My friend is going to loan me GTA IV this weekend since he already beat it.

All I gotta say is.....times sure have changed since the old Atari 2600 days.... Laughing The graphics are mind blowing.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:31 am  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:

*GASP!* You...you liked something?! I don't know what to say!
Actually, I thought you might enjoy it. As much as I like my lasers and BFGs, I also thought it was quite snassy for a reality based game. My only complaint (and I'm sure you'll point, laugh and call me a n00b) is the damn iron sights. Sorry, I don't need that much realism in my games. I've only played a few games with them, and it just feels like a crapshoot when I pull the trigger. I like the targeting reticule to tell me "yes, this bullet will indeed penetrate the skull of Mr. Nazi". FPS are not my game of choice, but they are growing on me due to the shear awesomeness of the 360 library. I'd give it 4 out of 5, but I had to return it to the video store so Fallout and me could spend some quality time together.

I don't know who you think I am but I like a lot of things...A hell of a lot more than I hate...I have over 1300 dvds, you think that comes from disliking things? I've been a gamer since the 2600 was the newest tech...You don't stick with things if you don't like a lot of them.

I used the silenced MP5 for about 50% of the game and I was taking people down with it from across the map...Though I do wish they made the weapons upgradable by adding sights and such.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

Uncle Creepy wrote:
I have all the current systems. XB, XB360, GC, and PS2. Out of all of the systems which one has failed me the most? PS2. Not because it's a bad system or it doesn't have good games. It's just that the hardware is crap. I went through 4, yes 4 PS2's and I really take care of my stuff. I called Sony each time and they were super non-responsive. I did everything that they told me to do. Plug it in to an outlet all by itself. Turn it upside down. Shake a handful of chicken bones and recite a voodoo chant. You name it. Nothing works. Ever. It's not just me either. I know too many other people these same issues have plagued.

A friend of mine manages an EB Games and he told me without question the PS2 is the most problematic system ever. I saw his back stock room. There was 1 broken GameCube, about three busted Xbox's and enough PS2's to build a tiny non working village.

Sony seemingly has never corrected these problems. In fact they made them worse. So they make the PS2 smaller. How? By removing the fan. Gee, that was really smart. Now the thing overheats almost every time after a few hours of use. This maybe OK for the casual gamer, but for the hardcore one this sucks. Secondly the smaller one has great difficulty playing the blue-back discs. YAY having a system that has trouble playing a third of its own library. And don't even get me started about their advertising. How many times have we seen commercials for PS2 games with amazing graphics, and then bought the game, got it home and realized all that we saw were cut-screens and the actual gameplay looked horrid? I can go on and on.

I think the reason for this poor quality hardware is that Sony has a gazillion other products on the market. Everything from toasters to high end Hi Def TVs. Any revenue that they generate from gamers is just gravy to them. Whereas companies like Nintendo and Microsoft have mainly focused on digital entertainment since their inception.

Don't get me wrong, I am no fanboy or system basher. I believe in having good games. I don't care what system they're on. I am just a realist speaking from his own experience. I'll eventually get a PS3. My only reservations about it are based on my troubles with the PS2. Before I shell out $600 bucks for the system, I'd like to know that the damned thing works.

I'm pretty happy with the PS3. Haven't had so much as a hiccup since I bought it unlike my 360. Yep, My 360 RRoD on me and I had to send it back. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it does it again so I play on it sparingly. I buy everything for the PS3. The first system to ever fail on me and that includes the PS2 which ran great from launch up until I gave it to a co-worker when I picked up the PS3.

So in this case I say fuck you Microsoft.

Everyone wants to bitch about the price but with all things considered the 360 and PS3 cost me about the same to get them both to have the same functionality. Actually, I think the 360 cost me more and it's pretty much a worthless hunk of plastic. The HD-DVD drive I bought is definitely a worthless hunk of plastic.

Sony also is a risk taker on software and it never fails that at the end of the systems cycle I always prefer Sony's games over anyone else. I'm pretty sure that'll happen with this gen as well in the end.

Oh and Farcry 2 is an awesome game. Really surprised me since I was pretty sure I wasn't going to like it. Have to get back to that when I finish up FEAR 2.