FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds - In Theaters Augus
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:43 am  Reply with quote

Here's the plot...

In Nazi-occupied France during World War II, a group of Jewish-American soldiers known as "The Basterds" are chosen specifically to spread fear throughout the Third Reich by scalping and brutally killing Nazis. The Basterds soon cross paths with a French-Jewish teenage girl who runs a movie theater in Paris which is targeted by the soldiers.

Brad Pitt's the lead, Mike Myers has a small role, Samuel L. Jackson is the narrator, and for fans of The Office (like myself), B.J. Novak (Ryan) plays one of "The Basterds". The film also stars Diane Kruger and Cloris Leachman, among others.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idCATRE4BU54520081231

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Controversial director Quentin Tarantino's take on World War II will hit movie theaters on August 21 2009, the studios behind the highly-anticipated film called "Inglourious Basterds" said on Wednesday.

Tarantino often takes a long time between projects. His last movie was a 2007 combined feature called "Grindhouse" made with director Robert Rodriguez, but he has not single-handedly directed a film since the 2004 "Kill Bill: Vol. 2."

The director's oddly spelled World War II epic "Inglourious Basterds" stars actor Brad Pitt, and production began in Europe in October.

Pitt plays a U.S. army lieutenant leading a group of soldiers operating behind Nazi lines, terrorizing the enemy.

"Inglourious Basterds" reportedly borrows from Spaghetti Westerns, the mostly Italian-made films of the 1960s and '70s that combine brutal violence and lyrical, fairytale-like qualities in a different take on Hollywood cowboy movies.

The film was inspired by the 1978 World War II movie "Quel maledetto treno blindato," also called "The Inglorious Bastards," from Italian director Enzo Castellari.

The August 21 release date of "Inglourious Basterds" is for the U.S. and Canada, and dates remain undetermined for its international release, said The Weinstein Company and Universal Pictures, which are jointly presenting the film. [The Weinstein Company will release the film domestically; Universal Pictures will handle the foreign distribution.]

Tarantino, who won an Oscar for his 1994 "Pulp Fiction" movie script, made the martial arts epics "Kill Bill: Vol. 1" (2003) and "Kill Bill: Vol. 2" (2004). The first film made $181 million worldwide and the sequel grossed $152 million, according to tracking firm Box Office Mojo.

Critics say Tarantino's films trivialize and stylize violence, but the director has a devoted fan base and has received numerous awards, including the Golden Palm at the Cannes Film Festival for "Pulp Fiction."

Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

Now what does this have to do with the horror genre, other than Brad Pitt's creepy moustache? Razz
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:49 pm  Reply with quote

Tsotha-lanti wrote:
Now what does this have to do with the horror genre, other than Brad Pitt's creepy moustache? Razz

Absolutely nothing.
It's kinda funny how Tarantino's name gets thrown around when talking about horror, though. The only horror movie he ever had a contributing hand in was Dusk Till Dawn. Death Proof, Kill Bill and other gory projects he has worked on are not horror to me. The original Inglorious Bastards was a pretty fun spaghetti war movie with a good cast. Not interested in the remake in the least, but I can't help but wonder why on god's green earth Pitt decided it would be a good move. Has he not seen Tarantino's last three movies?
Well, you never know. This might be his big redeeming film. Or he might just have Pitt running around barefoot for two hours.
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:12 am  Reply with quote

The script is a brilliant mess. Like two completely different films mashed together.

Don't go expecting THE DIRTY DOZEN Tarantino-style. Most of the the script spends time with the girl 'Shoshannah' as she gradually plots her revenge on the Nazi who killed her family.
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
The only horror movie he ever had a contributing hand in was Dusk Till Dawn. Death Proof, Kill Bill and other gory projects he has worked on are not horror to me.

Wasn't Death Proof meant to be some kind of slasher, even if it didn't really feel like one? And didn't Quentin serve as producer on both Hostels? Confused
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:43 am  Reply with quote

Tsotha-lanti wrote:
frank_dracman wrote:
The only horror movie he ever had a contributing hand in was Dusk Till Dawn. Death Proof, Kill Bill and other gory projects he has worked on are not horror to me.

Wasn't Death Proof meant to be some kind of slasher, even if it didn't really feel like one? And didn't Quentin serve as producer on both Hostels? Confused

I think it was supposed to be a horror movie, but a wicked car crash and chicks beating up a dude does not make a horror movie to me. Exploitation? Sure. Horror? No way. I did forget about his producing credits in the Hostel movies, but that just means he threw some money at it. There is also the line of "Quiten Tarintino presents" movies that has his face on the cover, but again, they are not his movies.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:08 am  Reply with quote

After sitting through that excruciatingly bad biker film Hell Ride, I am never touching a damn thing with Quentin's endorsement.

Never have I seen old men fail the cool test so badly as they do in Hell Ride.

And the dialogue, oh good lord the dialogue.
NickEhst
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

Hello, I've been a long time reader of the site, but I'm new to the forums.

Am I crazy, or didn't Tarantino have some hand in initially bringing Lucio Fulci's The Beyond to the states when Anchor Bay first released it back in the day?
corpse_grinder99
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

Tarantino is in the process of trashing a great film with this sorry remake!
Nobodaddy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:15 am  Reply with quote

Location: Munyeca. Yo te ciaro. Yo te ciaro Ohio. Muy bonito.

It's not a remake. Not even close. He just really liked that title...
Nobodaddy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:20 am  Reply with quote

Location: Munyeca. Yo te ciaro. Yo te ciaro Ohio. Muy bonito.

NickEhst wrote:
Am I crazy, or didn't Tarantino have some hand in initially bringing Lucio Fulci's The Beyond to the states when Anchor Bay first released it back in the day?

He had a hand in the theatrical run. It was done through his Rolling Thunder imprint at Miramax. I think Grindhouse and Anchor Bay may have used his name to promote the DVD as well.
TheDamnedThing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:00 am  Reply with quote

Fuckin hate Tarantino. Death Proof was an abortion of cinema.
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:01 am  Reply with quote

Hmmmm. Why the hell are Hollywood suddenly making so many movies about World War 2? Last year there was Spike Lee's Miracle at St. Anna and Valkyrie, this year there's gonna be QT's Inglorious Bastards and that one with Daniel Craig I can't remember what's called. Maybe they're riding the coattails of Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of Our Fathers but those were a bit too long ago IIRC for all these to be following a trend that much. Confused
corpse_grinder99
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

Nobodaddy wrote:
It's not a remake. Not even close. He just really liked that title...

I disagree with that to an extent. He took the name and part of the premise of the original.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

TheDamnedThing wrote:
Fuckin hate Tarantino. Death Proof was an abortion of cinema.

I truly believe everyone has at least one or two great, earth-shattering awesome ideas in their head. Unfortunately, most of us will never see them come to fruition.
That being said, Quentin, you're out. I don't hate you as a director, after all you gave us Pulp Fiction. But it's about time you collaborative with someone on your next screenplay. Your well is dangerously close to being dry, and if I have to sit through another Kill Bill or Death Proof, it will push our already rocky relationship over the fence. Find your cool again, man.