FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Pushing Daisies Creator Rejoining Heroes Writing Team
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

I just hope he's able to create a Pushing Daisies film, be it theatrical or direct-to-DVD somewhere down the line.

I will say that, though there are several episodes I need to catch up on and this season's been subpar at best, Fuller wrote the best episodes of Heroes when he was on their writing staff last time, chief among them "Company Man", the HRG-centered episode, so since he's rejoining and will have a key role in the writing and direction of the series (per the article), maybe Heroes can correct course.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i5a49077a0f8280a05381cedfd646ed1a

Quote:
Bryan Fuller closes in on UMS deal
To rejoin 'Heroes,' develop new projects for the studio

By Nellie Andreeva

Dec 4, 2008, 12:15 AM ET
hr/photos/stylus/62341-fuller_bryan_341x182.jpg

"Pushing Daisies" creator/executive producer Bryan Fuller is close to a two-year overall deal with Universal Media Studios.

Under the seven-figure pact, Fuller will rejoin the UMS-produced drama "Heroes," which he left after the first season to launch ABC/WBTV's "Daisies," and will develop new projects for the studio.

Fuller, who is wrapping postproduction on the final episodes of "Daisies' " 13-episode second-season order, is expected to officially come on board "Heroes" starting with Episode 20.

His exact role on the sci-fi drama has not been determined, but he is expected to play a key role in the writers room alongside "Heroes" creator/executive producer/showrunner Tim Kring.

After the end of the season, Fuller might continue on "Heroes" or join another UMS-produced series while also developing his own projects.

"Heroes" has had a rough start to its third season following a nine-month WGA strike-imposed hiatus, with ratings declining and fans griping about the show's creative direction.

Two co-exec producers, Jeph Loeb and Jesse Alexander, were let go last month.

Fuller, who was a strong creative voice on the much lauded and high-rated first season of "Heroes," could help in the show's effort to regain the spark of that freshman year, when it was more accessible and had broader appeal.

After a promising start last fall when it was the best-reviewed new series, "Daisies" also became a casualty of the strike, struggling to regain momentum this season after being sidelined for nine months. The pilot for the show earned Endeavor-repped Fuller a writing Emmy nomination.

Known for his quirky brand of darkly comedic fantasy series, Fuller also created "Dead Like Me" and "Wonderfalls."

Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

I have to say that I'm not much of a Fuller fan, as his concepts most often tend to be cloyingly twee and faux-quirky (I'd call him a second rate Tim Burton, but that position is already occupied by Barry Sonnenfield) I quickly tuned out of PUSHING DAISIES. The only reason it lasted as long as it did was because of the strike. WONDERFALLS had a good pilot but soon sank into dull sameness. His HEROES episodes were just as undistiguished as all the rest of them, in my book. The best thing he was involved with was DEAD LIKE ME, and it only got better after he left.

|I wish him luck. Maybe one day he'll create another show that I like. But if I was him, I wouldn't count on HEROES being around too terribly long either.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:18 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
I have to say that I'm not much of a Fuller fan, as his concepts most often tend to be cloyingly twee and faux-quirky (I'd call him a second rate Tim Burton, but that position is already occupied by Barry Sonnenfield) I quickly tuned out of PUSHING DAISIES. The only reason it lasted as long as it did was because of the strike. WONDERFALLS had a good pilot but soon sank into dull sameness. His HEROES episodes were just as undistiguished as all the rest of them, in my book. The best thing he was involved with was DEAD LIKE ME, and it only got better after he left.

|I wish him luck. Maybe one day he'll create another show that I like. But if I was him, I wouldn't count on HEROES being around too terribly long either.

Well if his involvement can't right the ship, at least he'll be able to develop another series at NBC Universal.
conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:21 am  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
His HEROES episodes were just as undistiguished as all the rest of them, in my book.

Really? Most people who liked "Heroes" at some point tend to agree that "Company Man" is hands down the best episode of the series (faint praise, but it was genuinely good).

Anyway, this is like putting a bandaid® on a severed leg.