FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Heroes
ajburton29
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:50 pm  Reply with quote

So what is Kring saying?
That when I watch Heroes on television, on NBC on Monday nights, that makes me a dipshit because I don't watch it online, on DVD, or on a fucking ipod? The 'superior' ways of watching it?
Fuck you, Kring. Make a better show.
And get Brea Grant naked already.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:30 am  Reply with quote

I watched HEROES through the end of the second season before I ultimately gave up. Frankly, I found it so derivative and insultingly written that I couldn't bear to go any further. I kept waiting for it to get interesting, and it never did.

After I did a little reading on Kring's latest interviews, I'm glad I stayed away. Is it really true that Peter has basically forgotten the Irish girl he left in the future? And is it true that the copycat girl (forgot her name) who was left in the clutches of gangstas at the end of Season 2 was never seen nor mentioned again?

Wow. That is unbelievably fucking lame and ridiculously inept.

No wonder Kring is dismissing serialized storytelling. He apparently has no idea how to do it. He's a guy who jumped on the superhero bandwagon without the foggiest idea of what he was doing. And to cap it off, he casually insults his fans. Sounds like he'd be best off going back to his hackiish episodic CROSSING JORDAN beginnings.
conundrum
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
And is it true that the copycat girl (forgot her name) who was left in the clutches of gangstas at the end of Season 2 was never seen nor mentioned again?

Actually, she was saved at the end of season 2 and then never seen again. Micah came back for a greatly awkward moment when he sees Ali Larter's (I will learn to spell her name when she learns how to act) new character.

I love watching "Heroes." You have no idea the smug feeling of superiority I get from realizing that there is a multi-million dollar show on TV that I could, in complete candor, write better than how it currently exists. Sure, everyone says "even I could do better than this" at some point, but with "Heroes", probably 90% of the people saying it actually could.

It is like some cruel joke the creators are playing, seeing how long they can continue to string their loyal fanbase along under the delusion that a better show is around the bend. They make the episodes get progressively worse and make less sense every week. If you do not watch, this week we were treated to another eclipse (the second in about a year, in canon), one that seemed to last for hours on end. And it appears to be related to their powers in some way. I beg those of you with any knowledge of the show not to think about this beyond merely reading the words, or like me you will detect around 5 plot-holes having to do with this new angle in about as many seconds. Unfortunately, some of the cast do not seem to be in on the joke. Adrian Pasdar, Jack Coleman, and Zachary Quinto are all wasting their genuine acting talent on this mindless drivel when they could be doing so much better (I guess at least Quinto is looking a lot like Spock in the new "Trek" trailer).

You know how Lewis Carroll originally wrote "Jabberwocky" as an example of how NOT to write a poem and it then grew to be actually acclaimed for being something its author considered the nadir of the artform? If I saw any indication that Kring was an intelligent man or a high concept artist, I would swear that he was trying to replicate that with a new medium.
Howl at Astronauts
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:23 pm  Reply with quote

Well this year is better than last year. Robert Forster has helped the show a lot in my opinion.
conundrum
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:05 pm  Reply with quote

Howl at Astronauts wrote:
Well this year is better than last year. Robert Forster has helped the show a lot in my opinion.

I think that it is definitely arguable that this season is better than season 2. This is very faint praise, mind you, and I do not even agree with it. It is flashier and I am happy that characters are actually using their powers on a more regular basis, but from the standpoints of story and characters, season 2 blows 3 out of the water.

And I am still a bit ambivalent about Forster. Mostly because I am still not sure if his character is supposed to be like that, or if he simply cannot act anymore. (exhibit 2 is "Dragon Wars", so guess which way I am leaning).
Howl at Astronauts
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:40 am  Reply with quote

His character is supposed to be bad and that's what he does as far as I saw. I think his presence has given the show more of a focus. He's the big heavy and he plays it well. And I think it is designed to have this big showdown with two super-powered clans down the line.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:28 am  Reply with quote

Pushing Daisies Creator Signs 2 Yr Deal With NBC Universal; Will Return To Heroes Writing Staff

I just hope he's able to create a Pushing Daisies film, be it theatrical or direct-to-DVD somewhere down the line.

I will say that, though this season's been subpar at best, Fuller wrote the best episodes of Heroes when he was on their writing staff last time, chief among them "Company Man", the HRG-centered episode, so since he's rejoining and will have a key role in the writing and direction of the series (per the article), maybe Heroes can correct course.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...381cedfd646ed1a

Quote:
Bryan Fuller closes in on UMS deal
To rejoin 'Heroes,' develop new projects for the studio

By Nellie Andreeva

Dec 4, 2008, 12:15 AM ET
hr/photos/stylus/62341-fuller_bryan_341x182.jpg

"Pushing Daisies" creator/executive producer Bryan Fuller is close to a two-year overall deal with Universal Media Studios.

Under the seven-figure pact, Fuller will rejoin the UMS-produced drama "Heroes," which he left after the first season to launch ABC/WBTV's "Daisies," and will develop new projects for the studio.

Fuller, who is wrapping postproduction on the final episodes of "Daisies' " 13-episode second-season order, is expected to officially come on board "Heroes" starting with Episode 20.

His exact role on the sci-fi drama has not been determined, but he is expected to play a key role in the writers room alongside "Heroes" creator/executive producer/showrunner Tim Kring.

After the end of the season, Fuller might continue on "Heroes" or join another UMS-produced series while also developing his own projects.

"Heroes" has had a rough start to its third season following a nine-month WGA strike-imposed hiatus, with ratings declining and fans griping about the show's creative direction.

Two co-exec producers, Jeph Loeb and Jesse Alexander, were let go last month.

Fuller, who was a strong creative voice on the much lauded and high-rated first season of "Heroes," could help in the show's effort to regain the spark of that freshman year, when it was more accessible and had broader appeal.

After a promising start last fall when it was the best-reviewed new series, "Daisies" also became a casualty of the strike, struggling to regain momentum this season after being sidelined for nine months. The pilot for the show earned Endeavor-repped Fuller a writing Emmy nomination.

Known for his quirky brand of darkly comedic fantasy series, Fuller also created "Dead Like Me" and "Wonderfalls."

Howl at Astronauts
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:39 am  Reply with quote

That's good news at least.
goblin310
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

The last episode was a giant step in the right direction for the show getting back on track.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

*There are some spoilers*

Bryan Fuller's R/x for Heroes

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2008/12/exclusive-bryan.html

Quote:
Exclusive: Bryan Fuller's Rx for 'Heroes'

Dec 10, 2008, 06:17 PM | by Michael Ausiello

Pushing Daisies fans will probably take a hit out on me for saying this, but something good has come out of the comedy's untimely death: It's freed up Bryan Fuller to rescue Heroes from the villain known as "What the Frak Have They Done to a Once-Great Show?!" In his first interview since rejoining the series as a consultant, the writer-producer-genius behind such acclaimed season 1 hours as "Company Man" reveals where it all went wrong, what it'll take to make it right, and who's gonna have to be sacrificed before that can happen.

AUSIELLO: Where did Heroes go wrong, in your opinion?
BRYAN FULLER: It became too dense and fell into certain sci-fi trappings. For instance, in the “Villains” arc, when you talk about formulas and catalysts, it takes the face off the drama. And I think the goal for everybody is to put a face back on the drama. You have to save something with a face; otherwise you don’t understand what you’re caring about. I thought the "Villains" arc started out very interestingly, and then became sort of muddy and dense and I couldn't get my hooks into the characters to understand their motivations. I also started to feel confused about what people's abilities were. One of the great things about the first season is that the metaphor for their abilities was very clear. Those metaphors seem to have gotten complicated in the past two seasons. I share that concern with everybody on the writing staff. It's not like I'm coming in and saying, "This is what you need to do to fix it!" Everybody knows what needs to be fixed and everybody is sort of rowing in that direction.

Your work starts with episode 19, yes?
Yes. I'm fortunate to be coming into a very exciting story line. [Former co-exec producers] Jeph [Loeb] and Jesse [Alexander], before they left the show, set so many great events in motion with the "Fugitives" arc [kicking off Feb. 2]. It really is a fresh start. All of the characters are back in their real lives. You see Peter as a paramedic. Claire is looking for colleges. We get away from the world of formulas and quasi-magic.

Are the "Fugitives" episodes leading up to 19 solid?
Yes. Episodes 14, 15 and 16 are amazing. The whole "Fugitives" arc starts out very strongly, and then it gets a little dense in the middle in terms of the mythology. So I came in right at the point where everybody was realizing, "Oh, we're getting too dense here and we need to put faces on stories because there is no face to a formula; there is no face to saving the world." So it's turning this big ship back into a character stream, and everyone on the writing staff shares that desire. We need to get back into a character place, because that's where this story started: Very clean, superhero metaphors to everyday life. That's the path that we're taking. But it is a big ship so it's going to take a little while to turn it.

Any plans to trim the sprawling cast?
People will die. And some will return. Matt’s wife [Janice] comes back. We’ll find out what happens when you have a superbaby. We're also going to tell fewer stories per episode. We're going to limit it to three or four with one big one that you can wrap the stories around. We're altering the structure of the show so that there's a very clear A story that takes up a larger percentage of the show so that that story gets traction.

Are you looking at Season 4 as a complete reboot of the series?
It's not necessarily a reboot as much as it is going back to the basic spirit of the show and pulling people back in. I don't think the issues with the show have been about the serialization as much as about the density of the stories that have been serialized.

Will you be part of the show next season?
That's the idea.

Will the recent behind-the-scenes changes at NBC impact the show at all?
It's really hard to imagine Heroes without [Universal Media Studios president] Katherine Pope, because she has been such a proponent of the show. She was so instrumental in [setting] the tone and style of the show in the first season. She is as vital a piece as any of the players on the show at this moment. Her contribution can't be undervalued. It'll be very interesting to see how things shake out.

What's your working relationship with series creator Tim Kring been like since returning?
It's actually been very positive.

Who gets final say: you or Tim?
Tim. I’m a consultant. My job is to help facilitate the vision of the show, and the vision has been a little inconsistent. But “Fugitives” is such a great sea change. I think people who have been critical of Heroes will come back.

More Heroes Scoop:
Find out who's playing Sylar's dad!
(It's John Glover)

Rottenjesus
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

No one can save this show now. Put a bullet in its' head and call it a day. Free up Hayden to do crappy PG-13 horror flicks and/or BIKINI CAR WASH COMPANY 3000 in a few years.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger