FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> H.P. Lovecraft
Mephistopheles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:29 am  Reply with quote

I never got around to reading Lovecraft, but I just discovered this on Barnes & Noble. It's pretty cheap but contains all his work. So I figured this would be as good as anything.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/HP-Lovecraft/H-P-Lovecraft/e/9781435107939/?itm=4

My only concern is that someone warned me that getting this book as it is could be overwhelming if I've never read his works before. Is there a recommended way to go through his fiction without feeling lost? And how accessible is Lovecraft, compared to stuff like Poe or Stoker? I'm not expecting mainstream fare, obviously.

Thanks...
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:08 am  Reply with quote

Damn you for showing me that! I already have over 10 books containing his work in one form or another. But this one is the most complete I've seen. Buy it, that's a good deal. You won't be disappointed.
A lot of his stories are stand alone, and some are connected in one way of the other but it's not like you MUST read one before the other.
Nothing terribly deep or confusing in his writings (Poe makes me go "whaaa?" sometimes) though he tends to drag a bit sometimes.
Cthulhu saves! Cthulhu saves! Cthulhu saves! Cthulhu saves!
wilum pugmire
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:43 pm  Reply with quote

The first edition of the Barnes & Noble Lovecraft was filled with many misprints and errors. These have been corrected for the soon-to-be-published second edition. But those who have that first edition -- HANG ON TO IT! It's already selling for big $$$ on-line.

My favourite Lovecraft editions are the three Penguin Classics paperbacks, edited and annotated by S. T. Joshi. They are the books I have here at my writing desk, where I write my own books of Cthulhu Mythos fiction. The annotations are awesome!