This 2011 Horror Movie Brought Barbara Crampton Out of Retirement

Though she made a huge impact on genre fans of a certain age after starring in the Lovecraft-inspired creepers Re-Animator and From Beyond, lauded horror icon Barbara Crampton found offers for new roles drying up when she hit her mid-30s. She had pretty much put acting in the rear-view mirror when she moved up to northern California with her husband and two sons.

Then, in 2011, a filmmaking duo contacted her about staring in their indie, home-invasion horror flick.

“I said, ‘Who are these people? They don’t want me to audition? They’re just going to hire me?’” Crampton told The L.A. Times.

“These people” were then up-and-comers Adam Wingard and screenwriter Simon Barrett and the film was You’re Next. The experience signaled a return to form for Crampton, who found herself experiencing a career resurgence: “I realized how much I loved [acting] and how much I missed it. And I thought, ‘I really want to do this again.’”

Since appearing in You’re Next, Crampton has appeared in many new films, including Lords of Salem, We Are Still Here, Tales of Halloween, Road Games, Beyond the Gates, Death House, and Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich. She currently has two films in post-production: Reborn and Stay Out Stay Alive.

Crampton’s comments came in an expose of 20th Century “Scream Queens” and their legacies; the story includes conversations with Suspiria’s Jessica Harper and A Nightmare on Elm Street’s Heather Langenkamp. You can read the article in its entirety HERE. Also, if you’ve yet to experience You’re Next for yourself, give the synopsis and trailer a spin below.

Synopsis:
The Davisons, an upper-class family, are extremely wealthy — but also estranged. In an attempt to mend their broken family ties, Aubrey (Barbara Crampton) and Paul (Rob Moran) Davison decide to celebrate their wedding anniversary by inviting their four children and their children’s significant others to their weekend estate. The celebration gets off to a rocky start, but when crossbow-wielding assailants in animal masks suddenly attack, the Davisons must pull together or die.

Are you a fan of Barbara Crampton? What’s your favorite Barbara Crampton movie? Sound off in the comments below or on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram!

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: