FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Fallout 3
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:44 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Expect a full review of this from me in the future, but for now I'll just say that it's pretty much devouring every spare second I can squeeze in front of my Xbox. My initial estimate was correct: Oblivion with rocket launchers and zombies. Well, okay, I was a little off: rock-it launchers and ghouls. (And the rock-it launcher has to immediately win Best. Weapon. Evar. just for the fact that you can kill your opponents by launching teddy bears and plungers.)

Anyone else slogging around the Capital Wasteland?
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

OMGZ! Fallout 3 is teh ShIzNiT!!11 Bestest game in teh hole wyde worldz!
Seriously, best $60 I've spent since Mass Effect. I have yet to get the rock-it launcher, been too busy hoarding crab meat or whatever it's called. Did you know if you run out of room, you can store your items in a vacant locker and they will be there for you later? Duh, I'm an idiot. The VATS system had me worried that it would make the game too easy, but oh man, It's saved my ass more than once. I never get tired of the boom-to-the-face animation. The lack of transportation also had me nervous, but as soon as you find a town or place of interest you can fast travel at any time. Nice. So far a 4 out of 5. That most likely will go up the further into the game I get.
I may start over, though. I went on a rampage and killed everyone in the vault before I left. Beginning to wonder if that was a good idea...
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:30 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

frank_dracman wrote:
OMGZ! Fallout 3 is teh ShIzNiT!!11 Bestest game in teh hole wyde worldz!
Seriously, best $60 I've spent since Mass Effect. I have yet to get the rock-it launcher, been too busy hoarding crab meat or whatever it's called. Did you know if you run out of room, you can store your items in a vacant locker and they will be there for you later? Duh, I'm an idiot. The VATS system had me worried that it would make the game too easy, but oh man, It's saved my ass more than once. I never get tired of the boom-to-the-face animation. The lack of transportation also had me nervous, but as soon as you find a town or place of interest you can fast travel at any time. Nice. So far a 4 out of 5. That most likely will go up the further into the game I get.
I may start over, though. I went on a rampage and killed everyone in the vault before I left. Beginning to wonder if that was a good idea...

Did you play Oblivion? If so, you should have an idea about 'good ideas' and 'bad ideas'.

There really aren't any. You'll have hellaciously bad Karma, but that can work in your favor if you want to play your character that way. There are equal perks for good Karma, bad Karma, and even neutral Karma. If you want to play as a psycho killer, hey, kill away. Just be prepared for some nasty fights and be on the lookout for like-minded souls who are willing to help.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:02 pm  Reply with quote

Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fable, KotOR, Jade Empire and others I always choose the good side for my first play. Why? I don't know. Just a habit. For whatever reason in Fallout I was getting antsy and wanted to get into the world and see some action. so I took it out on everyone. Maybe I'll go against my tradition and go evil first. After all, I REALLY want to blow up Megaton.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:30 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

frank_dracman wrote:
Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fable, KotOR, Jade Empire and others I always choose the good side for my first play. Why? I don't know. Just a habit. For whatever reason in Fallout I was getting antsy and wanted to get into the world and see some action. so I took it out on everyone. Maybe I'll go against my tradition and go evil first. After all, I REALLY want to blow up Megaton.

I think you just struck on one of the things that makes this game different: all those other games, all those worlds...they aren't bad worlds. For the most part, they're beautiful worlds that are being threatened by a great evil.

That makes it much more instinctive to play the hero and save things.

In Fallout 3, that can't be said. There are innocents, and there are very real evils, but there really aren't -sides-. The Brotherhood of Steel certainly seems virtuous enough, and Three Dog's 'Good Fight' would appear to be a side, but even in his case...it's not long before he's more or less extorting you to do his bidding in order to get the info you want. The Brotherhood is more than happy to accept your help...and then tell you to take a hike if you're interested in more than a pittance of caps for your trouble.

It's cool that you pointed that out, it hadn't struck me till then. I'd been trying to put my finger on it. I, too, usually play the goody two-shoes the first time through...but damn if I haven't been tempted to just blow some people away or ignore their plights when I'm trying to get somewhere.

Interesting. This is better than I thought, I need to play more.
Pestilence
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:29 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I've only played this for about 40 mins outside of the intro sections in the vault, but already I've been stricken by just how free-form the world is.

As Mr. Dark has mentioned, in Oblivion etc. you feel almost obligated to act as a paragon of society due to the way the world is shaped. Fallout flies in the face of this completely.

From the moment you hit the wasteland, there are no preconceptions - you're literally free to do whatever the fuck you want and there's no preconditioning telling you not to do this or that.

For example, I made it to Megaton and saved my game as I was heading for bed. Needed some healing so went to see the resident doctor. Couldn't afford any stimpacks so I thought "well, I'm quitting anyway, so let's see..." and shot the fucker right in the face. His head exploded, leaving me free to loot each and every thing from his corpse and the store.

Having just walked right into the town, I was now ready to tear it all up.

As far as I remember, Oblivion simply didn't give you this, and I can't wait to see what other choices I'll be confronted with - nay, allowed to make - as the game continues.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:35 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Pestilence wrote:
I've only played this for about 40 mins outside of the intro sections in the vault, but already I've been stricken by just how free-form the world is.

As Mr. Dark has mentioned, in Oblivion etc. you feel almost obligated to act as a paragon of society due to the way the world is shaped. Fallout flies in the face of this completely.

From the moment you hit the wasteland, there are no preconceptions - you're literally free to do whatever the fuck you want and there's no preconditioning telling you not to do this or that.

For example, I made it to Megaton and saved my game as I was heading for bed. Needed some healing so went to see the resident doctor. Couldn't afford any stimpacks so I thought "well, I'm quitting anyway, so let's see..." and shot the fucker right in the face. His head exploded, leaving me free to loot each and every thing from his corpse and the store.

Having just walked right into the town, I was now ready to tear it all up.

As far as I remember, Oblivion simply didn't give you this, and I can't wait to see what other choices I'll be confronted with - nay, allowed to make - as the game continues.

There -are- consequences for your actions. There's something Doc March asks you to do that you won't be offered now. There's a minor reward attached to that task as well as good karma. You'll probably immediately run into trouble with Sheriff Simms, and if you do you'll lose the chance at a major perk only available from him.

That being said, being the good guy is -hard-. In Oblivion, you were rewarded with some of the finest stuff in the game for being a paragon of justice. (If you purchased Knights of the Nine, anyway.) If you decided to play evil, you got some nifty stuff, but only after amazingly difficult quests, and even then the payback was limited. (Shadowmere, gray cowl, etc.)

In Fallout, I'm always struggling for caps, for ammo, for stims. Because of how the repair mechanic works, you rely on paid help to repair your stuff...which means more caps, or that nifty Rock-It Launcher will be useless after a couple of encounters with mutie brutes.

If I chose to rob or kill, I wouldn't have that problem. At all. A couple of caravan traders later, and I'd have a bankroll big enough to do what I liked...but bad karma and reputation to boot.

That's what's interesting me about this: it's very true to life. In a world without laws, being 'bad' would certainly be easier. But would it be rewarding?

So far this is offering moral temptations and repercussions on the level of Bioshock. You -are- actually tempted to do the wrong thing. Choosing to do the right thing offers few rewards beyond feeling good about what you do. Three Dog explains it perfectly, that's his Good Fight. It's your choice whether you choose to fight it or not, but if you do you can't expect to reap physical rewards.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

I love this game.

It was really hard when I first made it into the wastelands because I wondered out into Super Mutant territory before I had the suitable skill sets and weapons to keep me alive.

So, I decided to hang around Megaton and just concentrate on the missions centered around there until I'm ready to go take out some mutants.

Blowing heads away with my shotgun doesn't get old.

BTW, when can you start using "build weapon" skills?
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:15 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

EvilRex wrote:
I love this game.

It was really hard when I first made it into the wastelands because I wondered out into Super Mutant territory before I had the suitable skill sets and weapons to keep me alive.

So, I decided to hang around Megaton and just concentrate on the missions centered around there until I'm ready to go take out some mutants.

Blowing heads away with my shotgun doesn't get old.

BTW, when can you start using "build weapon" skills?

As soon as you find/buy schematics. It isn't based on skill, although higher repair skill gives you better stats from custom weapons.

Save up for the Rock-It Launcher schematic and find those parts. (Firehose nozzle, vacuum cleaner, leaf blower and...I want to say controller or control module or whatever.) Absolutely high-larious. Nothing like decapitating a super mutie brute with a paperweight or, my new favorite ammo: GARDEN GNOME. That weapon combined with the Bloody Mess perk has to be a laugh riot.

That one is also a strategic choice. You never run out of ammo, because there's always junk around. It doesn't do amazing damage, but it's at least equal to an assault rifle or even a low-level or damaged shotgun.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone find the dog yet? Just curious as to how early or late you find it.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:32 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

frank_dracman wrote:
Anyone find the dog yet? Just curious as to how early or late you find it.

I haven't found Dogmeat. I think when you find him has more to do with where you roam. I'm more or less following the quests (vault 101 to Megaton, Megaton to Grayditch/Super Duper, Grayditch to GNR, GNR to Rivet City) both primary and secondary, but I've intentionally passed up about a dozen things I could have investigated or spent more time in. (I'm trying to balance seeing everything and finishing in a reasonable time so I can turn in my review on my first play through, will stop and smell the roses and use the strategy guide to a much greater extent on my next playthroughs.)

As such, I haven't really touched the upper half of the world map, or any points west of Vault 101. I know there are several companions you can eventually have, although I understand Dogmeat is permanent more or less and other companions may join in addition to him. Those companions depend on Karma.

Yet another way that the game plays very straightforward and honest: a character with bad karma can recruit a helper almost right away, in Megaton. Makes sense: someone with little or no ethical intent could easily find a like-minded individual out in the wastes, while a just man would find allies few and far between.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, I have all good karma now, and all the mercenaries I meet blow me off right away. So I wonder how they react if I have more bad karma.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:18 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

EvilRex wrote:
Yeah, I have all good karma now, and all the mercenaries I meet blow me off right away. So I wonder how they react if I have more bad karma.

According to the strategy guide (which comes in at 464 pages...not counting the poster-sized map...it's bigger than some phone books) there are many different companions you can get, some for every karmic alignment (even neutral). Also, different groups will respond differently to you based on karma. Supposedly, you can reach a bad karma level where raiders will see you as a friendly. Man, you must have to run around kicking puppies and eating babies or something.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:54 pm  Reply with quote

Dogmeat can be found at the Scrapyard, south of Minefield. He's an incredibly stupid animal when it comes to fighting because I had to reload my last save because be wouldn't run away from the monsters kicking his ass.

LOVE this game.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

I've been completely awe-struck since starting this game. This game has to win GOTY, it just has to.