FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Dead Space
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:57 am  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:

Dead Space is a decent, but incredibly overrated game that will be forgotten in months.

I'm gonna say that I'd suggest you not place any money on that bet. Wink

I'll place money on it. Far better and more interesting games are dropping now on a weekly basis. Then in about 5 months, the Queen Hail Mary of survival horror drops and this game will be forgotten.

Last edited by Didn't See It Coming on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:59 am  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
Mr. Dark wrote:
I'm sure you've all noticed, but I stepped in for Plagiarize and reviewed this one. My review speaks for itself, but to sum up: it isn't Bioshock, but what is? Remove one annoying minigame sequence and make it a little longer and you'd have survival horror perfection.

Nice review but it's better than Bioshock.

You blaspheme, sir.

Bioshock was much longer, far more complex (on every level), offered a moral decision that had dramatic emotional repercussions (and multiple endings), and was an artistic triumph. Dead Space is -kick ass-...but it just didn't reach those heights. In my mind, nothing else has before or since.

We've already been down this road so let me just say that Bioshock didn't have an ounce of tension in it unlike Dead Space which is the most intense game I've ever played. It definitely takes the crown from System Shock 2 for me.
elric300
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I've played maybe the first 20 minutes or so, just after the first attack. For a new gen title, it seems to scale up and down very well, in regards to PC requirements. My PC is playing it perfectly, and it looks beautiful. It makes excellent use of the widescreen format, and I like the hologram hud that pops up in front of you.

As for scare factor...well, it's tough to scare me, period. But it's got some good atmosphere, and sounds great. I'm playing it on the 5.1 sound setting, with headphones and a Creative Audigy4 with CMSS on. Excellent surround on the ship with some ear breaking creaks and groans as the ship gets battered. Definitely puts you on edge. Control is good, but it takes a few minutes to get used to, as this seems to want to be an FPS with an over the shoulder camera. Great for that cinematic look, though.

I too was very concerned that the prologue movie might spoil anything for me. I have it sitting here, having just rented it out. I guess if I watch it beforehand, I'll be alright, regarding any spoilers? I mean, does it's backstory work at all with the game story, or is it just background filler I should watch afterwards?

So far, this is absolutely worth playing, imo. Maybe a rent, but then again, with games going at 60 bucks a pop, the majority of them are rentals, imo.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:25 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

elric300 wrote:
I too was very concerned that the prologue movie might spoil anything for me. I have it sitting here, having just rented it out. I guess if I watch it beforehand, I'll be alright, regarding any spoilers? I mean, does it's backstory work at all with the game story, or is it just background filler I should watch afterwards?

I haven't watched it, but I'm at a loss as to what there would be in the film that would spoil the game. Discovering what's going on is a very minor part of the game, and happens early. (Hell, the trailers and the game box make it pretty clear.) It's the details that matter, as they are the key to stopping it and escaping. No way would the prequel go into that, as the crew of the Ishimura clearly don't stop it.

I watched the animated comic prequel on XBL and it didn't spoil a thing. (That story covers what happens on the colony, then Downfall covers the space between that and the game.)
elric300
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
elric300 wrote:

I haven't watched it, but I'm at a loss as to what there would be in the film that would spoil the game. Discovering what's going on is a very minor part of the game, and happens early. (Hell, the trailers and the game box make it pretty clear.) It's the details that matter, as they are the key to stopping it and escaping. No way would the prequel go into that, as the crew of the Ishimura clearly don't stop it.

I watched the animated comic prequel on XBL and it didn't spoil a thing. (That story covers what happens on the colony, then Downfall covers the space between that and the game.)

Thanks. Fascinating, all of this backstory. Really builds things up into an epic, it seems. Considering this is from EA, I impressed, so far.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:34 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

elric300 wrote:
Thanks. Fascinating, all of this backstory. Really builds things up into an epic, it seems. Considering this is from EA, I impressed, so far.

I was surprised it was an EA property as well. They clearly see they have a new franchise on their hands, and they're already working on a sequel. This lays an excellent foundation for any number of different kinds of stories in numerous different settings.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:32 pm  Reply with quote

Finally beat the game which took awhile because of all the OT I've been working.

Best game ever.

I've watched all the mini episodes and movie as well and it's just a great story. Epic indeed. They've only just begun though.

After Far Cry, Resistance and Gears I'll be back to play this on hard and eventually impossible. Can't wait.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:48 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

I need to watch Downfall sometime for sure. Unfortunately, I've had to put this onto the delay list for now until I get through GH4.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:40 am  Reply with quote

I'm up to Chapter 3, I have a long way to go. Very Happy
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:59 am  Reply with quote

It pisses me off to no end that the next game in the series is for the Wii. I gaurantee it won't sell.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:43 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
It pisses me off to no end that the next game in the series is for the Wii. I gaurantee it won't sell.

Well durrr, no ten year old girl or her mother is going to be interested in that. From what I've heard it isn't a sequel or anything, just a dummied down version made to take advantage of erratic stick waggling. We won't be missing much. This Wii fad has got to run it's course sooner or later then maybe the gamers will get some real games instead of Babyz on wheelz. *shudder*
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:12 am  Reply with quote

The game is a brand new entry in the Dead Space series. It's a prequel telling the story from first infected to where Dead SPace begins. It's a on rails shooter but these guys are saying that theirs more to it that will make it a very unique experience. Fuck the Wii!
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
The game is a brand new entry in the Dead Space series. It's a prequel telling the story from first infected to where Dead SPace begins. It's a on rails shooter but these guys are saying that theirs more to it that will make it a very unique experience. Fuck the Wii!

Hey, the wii is the on system I have access to(since it's the cheapest). It's hard to find decent games, and the wii is perfect for rail shooters because you don't have to spend extra on light guns(which I have for almost every system I've bought) since you have the "gimmick".

It fits, imho.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

If they're building this game for the Wii specifically there may be hope - I'm just glad they're not trying to port it like they did w/ Dead Rising... what a friggin' disaster that was!
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

arandomthought wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

Hey, the wii is the on system I have access to(since it's the cheapest). It's hard to find decent games, and the wii is perfect for rail shooters because you don't have to spend extra on light guns(which I have for almost every system I've bought) since you have the "gimmick".

It fits, imho.

It's not the cheapest actually.