FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> Metallica - Death Magnetic
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:11 am  Reply with quote

I don't know. I don't have Guitar Hero: World Tour.

Do what you need to, I guess.

Last edited by Cash Bailey on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:16 am  Reply with quote

Ha, I don't think there's anything wrong with downloading music really. I've just only done it once in my life. I downloaded the last Tool album a couple weeks before release because I couldn't wait for it. Since then I've bought that album 3 times. I'm just old-fashioned. I like to go to the store and get a physical copy of the cd in hand for my collection. I don't believe in MP3 players. To be honest I'd prefer it on vinyl but my ex still has most of my system at her house.

I do like the packaging of this album.
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Ha, I don't think there's anything wrong with downloading music really. I've just only done it once in my life.

Admirable, to be sure. But this record sounds like shit. And the GH3 rips save it from being an utter disaster in the minds of fans like me.

But at this point Metallica are not likely to ever admit their mistakes. They consciously mixed down Jason's bass on '...And Justice For all', and you only need to hear this re-mix of 'Some Kind Of Monster' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmHx2blktwU&feature=related) to hear how awesome 'St. Anger' could have sounded with a tweaking of that terrible 'paint tin' drum sound.

In short, from here on in Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield should not be allowed anywhere near the mixing phase of any future albums.

Fuck the fanboys and bring back the geniuses known as Bob Rock and Randy Staub. And let's see a return to the ball-busting Bob Rock of the 'Black Album' days, before he became too close to band and became just another 'yes man' that was too scared to tell James he was singing out of tune, and that Lars' drum sound sucked.

Bring in the ass-kicking Bob Rock and we'll most likely get another incredible record from the 'tallica boys.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

I don't even think it sounds that bad but after St. Anger I guess anything would sound better.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

Death Magnetic is album of the year.

Sounds like a mix between AJFA & KEA....kinda like garage dayz if it was original songs, not covers.

YOU'VE REACHED THE END OF THE LIIIIIINEE
BadAsh
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

oops double post
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

BadAsh wrote:

Priest, Opeth, Motorhead and Metallica have all put out excellent albums this year. Metal album of the year is going to have to be closely considered.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:05 pm  Reply with quote

Haven't heard the new Motorhead yet, but IMO both Nastrodamus and Watershed are both inferior to their respective precessors...

Death Magnetic is the best thing Metallica has done in in the past decade or so...which counts for a lot.

I'm glad the got rid of Bob Rock and brought in Rick Rubin...he has a good track record of taking artists and bringing them to the top of their game (even supposed 'washed up' artists).

I heard he will be working with ZZ Top next, which has me intrigued because a good ZZ album would be VERY good.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
BadAsh wrote:

Priest, Opeth, Motorhead and Metallica have all put out excellent albums this year. Metal album of the year is going to have to be closely considered.

I know I might get flamed for this, but slipknots album was better then death magnetic. They've shown more range in what they can do and there really wasn't anything that I didn't like on it.

I'll have to check out what opeth and motorhead have done.

Death Magnetic, though a step-up from st. anger, is still not what it could have been. The case is cool as hell, but it seems there was more effort put into the case then what was put into the final mix.

I just want the old mettalica I grew up with back.

It's really sad that not even I enjoyed their recent albums. I enjoy just about everything released within the rock-range of music. I guess I just hold them up to a really high standard.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:19 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I was spoiled. Being a bay area thrash metal kid I was lucky enough to see METALLICA in SF clubs even before they moved to my neck of the woods.

It's over.

Over over over.
Rottenjesus
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:47 am  Reply with quote

The Butcher wrote:
I was spoiled. Being a bay area thrash metal kid I was lucky enough to see METALLICA in SF clubs even before they moved to my neck of the woods.

It's over.

Over over over.

It's NEVER over!

Wait a second...yes it is. Lars, James, Kirk and the person who is NOT Cliff Burton? There's the door. Go play some state fairs in about 20 years, okay?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luke Vader
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:06 am  Reply with quote

I like Death Magnetic quite alot. Definitely a return to form over the previous 3 albums they've shit on us. They'll never capture what they had in their glory days, but I suppose this is the closest it could ever be.

It takes a few listens to get a feel for it, but overall it's a really good album.

Definitely agree with BadAsh on the comparison to Garage Days as far as the sound and feel of DM.

For me this album is more of a natural progression of where they should have gone after the Black album. Completely write off Load, Reload, and St Anger, see the Black album as their slight step away from the mark, and then have Death Magnetic putting them back on track. As it stands though with those 3 albums in between, I think people become more critical of this album. Those others have pissed off alot of fans and one decent album wont really make up for 3 shitty ones.

I'm content with the fact that I'll never hear them the way they were when I fell in love with them in the 80's and I'm just thankful that there's still just a little bit of their former selves in DM. It could have been worse, ALOT worse, and I'm ok with that.
kannibalen
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:27 am  Reply with quote

I'm totally with frank_dracman on this one. There was a dilapitation just before the "black album", but it had some awesome tracks. Everything after that is just plain f***ing terror for your ears. Just read something about the snare Ulrich used at St.Anger, damn the sound is painful for your ears. These guys are done, done i tell ya! There's plenty of so much better new albums out there ex. Motörhead, ACDC, Vomitory, Slipknot. Annoyed
Pestilence
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:26 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Used to be a fucking huge Metallica fan years ago...then they released St. Anger and I just stopped paying attention. Still saw them live on the St. Anger tour in Dublin though and they kicked ass, as they always do on stage.

I really didn't have high hopes for Death Magnetic, but I think it's a fucking awesome album and certainly worlds away from St. Anger. Great riffs, that good ol' Metallica "stomp" rhythm....it's just great.

Now they're touring the UK mainland for the first time in like, 12 years, and me and a bunch of buddies have booked VIP tickets to see them for £60 each. Can't wait!
X-Count
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

Well after St.Anger, I was extremely pissed at Metallica but I finally have decided to give them another try and cave in and listened to Death Magnetic. I gotta say, I'm kinda surprised. It's like a mixture of stylings (sort of) from Master of Puppets, Black Album and Load all mixed into one. And fuck yeah! Solos are back!