FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Dead Space
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:55 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Didn't see a thread about it, so I figured I'd start one with Johnny's mews today about the possibility of a movie to support the game.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/node/26525

I think it looks pretty cool. I'm intrigued by the storyline of you not being a soldier or anything in the game, and the Necromorph designs look genuinely creepy.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:42 am  Reply with quote

The gameplay footage I've seen looks very good indeed. I'm gonna be all over this one. Not sure it needs a movie though.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:45 am  Reply with quote

I'm not sold on this...It looks like things I've already played before. Resident Evil, The Thing, Doom, Bioshock...It looks like it takes elements of all these games and mashed 'em together...There are for more games that have caught my attention.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:11 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
I'm not sold on this...It looks like things I've already played before. Resident Evil, The Thing, Doom, Bioshock...It looks like it takes elements of all these games and mashed 'em together...There are for more games that have caught my attention.

The one 'game maker' that this has that I've seen is the dismemberment. You cannot kill the zombies. You can head shot them 80 times, they keep crawling. You have to dismember them. Take off all four limbs (or more...not all only have four) and you can move on. Take off two or three, you run the risk of having enough of them coming that you get overwhelmed.

Did I mention that ammo is a premium? Better aim well...
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

So you have to dismember the enemies...Not enough to sell me on what looks like Resident Evil in space. Low amounts of ammo? That's nothing new either.

Like I said, there are about 20 games I want way more than this this holiday.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:31 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

So you have to dismember the enemies...Not enough to sell me on what looks like Resident Evil in space. Low amounts of ammo? That's nothing new either.

Like I said, there are about 20 games I want way more than this this holiday.

Nah, low ammo isn't, but this exact play mechanic is. Think about it: every single FPS strategy (hell, even survival horror strategy) is out the window. It will require an entirely new approach, especially with multiple enemies at once.

They've revealed one character will be covered with blister things. Hit one, and these little crawly-bitey things come out and swarm you. So you have to dismember it while causing -minimal- damage.

That's the number one thing I'm attracted to about this, the fact that it's going to require precision and strategy, and not just finding enough ammo for the rocket launcher. Sniping? Worthless. Grenade launchers? Useless. Funny three-beamed weapons allowing you to shoot and cut at the same time? Oh hell yeah.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not sold on this...It looks like things I've already played before. Resident Evil, The Thing, Doom, Bioshock...

Don't forget Prey.

I don't know. You're out in space fighting monsters. Good enough for me.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:54 am  Reply with quote

Who's gonna be playing this tomorrow?
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:58 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I know a review is in the works from our own Plagiarize, and I'm planning on picking up a copy tomorrow. It'll be juggled with Silent Hill: Homecoming, though, and any Rock Band 2 I can manage to slide in there (sick wife who's sleeping a lot and apartment living means only -some- daytime hours for RB). I don't expect to finish it soon, but I'm on vacation as of today (a 'staycation', we aren't leaving home I just have a week off) so we're planning on spending a LOT of time on SH and DS within the next week!
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:00 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Oh, and PS: 360 users, there's a FREE suit available from XBL. It's free for a limited time, so go grab it now even if you don't have the game yet. It's exclusive to XBox, and supposedly is in XBox colors with upgraded armor and extra slots for upgrades or something. Definitely worth the download, and I just stumbled across it today: I haven't seen it promoted anywhere.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:19 am  Reply with quote

Man, I had to work OT tonight so I won't be able to play this 'til tomorrow. This sucks.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:48 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Thanks for the heads up, Dark. Hopefully, I can get my XBL working in time to snag it. And I fully plan on getting the game this Saturday.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

It's a cool outfit, but it kinda breaks the game IMO. It gives you twenty five inventory slots (max I believe) right away instead of buying them. With all that room for ammo and whatnot, plus all the $$ you save by not leveling up armor, it got real easy real quick. So I'm not using it on this playthrough, but once the insane difficulty is unlocked it may be a lifesaver. Oh, and the best $60 I've spent since Mass Effect. It's damn good. The outstanding sound design had me jumping more than once. Reminds me a lot of Doom 3, and that's not a bad thing.
Impure159
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know whether to buy this or Fable 2, I don't play games much anymore so with L4D next month I'm only going to buy one of these two.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

So far, barring a few minor things, this is exactly what I thought it was going to be. A RE clone in space. Instead of Typewriters, you have "Save Stations", the targeting is almost identical to RE4 save for the ability to move and in that instance it controls like an FPS. Ammo is limited, you need health packs (which is such a tired mechanic). Sure there are touches of ingenuity such as the stasis ability and the guns but it's not the vast departure Mr. Dark said it would be.

The best feature in the game is the ability to see your path. TONS of backtracking in the game and this helps with that a lot. I like the zero gravity portions, I LOVED the seemingly one time attack from a giant tentacle (I say seemingly because I haven't seen it again) but these are few and far between.

So far it's a 6.5/10 and I'm halfway through.