FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Fire Pro Wrestling Returns coming to the US...
Rottenjesus
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:37 am  Reply with quote

SWA Wrestling Newswire: October 6, 2008

Sunday night's MORE POWERFUL THAN A SWANTON BOMB PPV was off the charts with another killer night of SWA action. Here are the results:

1. 30 Minute Time Limit: ZERO ONE vs DRAGON GATE Challenge Match I: CHRISTOPHER DANIELS (Dragon Gate) def. ALEX SHELLEY (Zero 1) in 15:43 with a Flying Rolling Pin. Insanely fast paced match. Perfect opener.

2. 30 Minute Time Limit: RICKY MARVIN/KOTARO SUZUKI fought NARUKI DOI/SHINGO to a Time Limit Draw to retain their WORLD X TAG CHAMPIONSHIPS. Amazing spot where Marvin/Suzuki did a Double Superplex off the top rope with Doi that made me mark out. *Match of the Night

3. 45 Minute Time Limit: ATSUSHA ONITA/JERRY LYNN/BAM BAM BIGELOW vs. STEVE CORINO/TERRY FUNK/ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER in a Six Man Landmine Deathmatch War. This was probably the most violent six man brawl I've seen in quite some time. Everybody was busted open at the 10 minute mark and there were chairshots and forks to the forehead aplenty! Even though Onita wanted to get his revenge on Corino and Co.'s betrayal at the last PPV. He was denied it here as Terry Funk pinned Bigelow with a German Suplex at 16:59. Enraged at being defeated once again, Onita has asked for his rematch against Corino for the BRASS KNUCKLES CHAMPIONSHIP next month. Which will be contested in a Electrified Barbed-Wire Timebomb Deathmatch!

4. 30 Minute Time Limit: ZERO - ONE vs. DRAGON GATE Challenge Match II: MASATO TANAKA (Zero-1) vs. MAGNUM TOKYO (Dragon Gate). Magnum didn't stand a chance against the pumped up Tanaka, who went to town on him from the opening bell and KO'd him at 4:56. Both promotions are tied now with 1 point a piece.

5. 30 Minute Time Limit: AJ STYLES/PETEY WILLIAMS def. RICKY MARVIN/KOTARO SUZUKI when Williams pinned Suzuki at 27:47 after 2(!) Canadian Destroyers in a row to become the new WORLD X TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS. Marvin & Suzuki, obviously still tired from their earlier title bout against Doi/Shingo, just didn't have enough left in the tank against another pair of fresh challengers. Late word has it that SWA Wrestling Officials have signed a 2 out of 3 Falls #1 Contender's Match for the main event at this week's WEDNESDAY NIGHT WARS. It will be Marvin/Suzuki versus Doi/Shingo! That's going to be a blowout!

6. 45 Minute Time Limit - No Interference Rules - : SHIN NAKAMURA/HIRO SAITO/BISON SMITH def. REY MYSTERIO/DOS CARAS, JR./NEGRO CASAS in 31:16 when Smith pinned Mysterio with a Smith-Tenniel to retain their WORLD TRIOS CHAMPIONSHIPS. Excellent and well paced match, these two teams always have great matches together.

7. 45 Minute Time Limit: ZERO ONE vs DRAGON GATE Challenge Match III: MINORU FUJITA/NAOHIRO HOSHIKAWA/IKUTO HIDAKA/LEONARDO SPANKY (Zero 1) def. MASAAKI MOCHIZUKI/KENICHIRO ARAI/SUSUMU YOKOSUKA/K-NESS in 29:56 when Hidaka pinned K-Ness after a devastating Huracanrana. Insanely heated 8-man tag that saw lots of brawling on the outside and more than a few aerial attacks from both sides. After the match was over, both teams shook hands and bowed to one another in a show of good sportsmanship.

8. 30 Minute Time Limit: BLUE WOLF/TIGER MASK (Wolf Brigade) def. NAOMICHI MARUFUJI/KENTA (Golden Gang) in 16:16 in a Relaxed Rules Match when Wolf KO'd KENTA. This tag match was borne out of the events of last month's PPV where Marufuji violently refused Wolf's invitation to join his faction and announced the formation of the GOLDEN GANG. Immediately after the match Bryan Danielson and Low Ki, the other two members of GG stormed the ring and it became a vicious 4 on 2 beatdown, which left Blue Wolf and Tiger Mask in a bloody pile in the middle of the ring. Tatsutoshi Goto and Koji Kanemoto arrived too late to help out their comrades but they have given to the warning to any GG members that show up on Wednesday night that they'll be put into a vicious Street Fight!

9. 60 Minute Time Limit: TAKA MICHINOKU def. World X Division Champion CHRIS SABIN with a Superkick to get the pin at 18:08 in a non-title WORLD X DIVISION SHOWCASE match. This was a real back and forth match that saw Sabin do a spectacular dive to the outside on TAKA at one point, but all the high flying attacks were for naught as Michinoku got the win. After the match, the two shook hands and Sabin raised TAKA's in a show of respect that got a big round of applause from the crowd. Late word has it that a Four Corners X Division Match has been signed for Wednesday night...which will also serve as a #1 Contender's Match for the World X Division Championship!

10. 60 Minute Time Limit: BRET HART def. YUJI NAGATA with a Rolling Pinfall at 19:32 to retain his WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP. Great match between two of the world's best wrestlers that saw a ton of nearfalls and some intense fighting on the outside. Hart got on the mic congratulated Nagata on a great match then proceeded to make an Open Challenge for anyone in the locker room to face him for the WHC next month. The lights went out and Europe's "The Final Countdown" played as Bryan Danielson, accompanied by Naomichi Marufuji, came to the ring. Danielson takes the mic from Hart and says "Challenge accepted." then nails him with it, busting him open! Marufuji and Danielson put the boots to Hart but another familiar figure slides into the ring with a chair in hand. It's KURT ANGLE and he sends the two Golden Gang cohorts scrambling out of the ring. Kurt grabs the mic "If you want to face the Excellence of Execution next month, you'll have to go through me this Wednesday! Oh it's true...DAMN TRUE." Angle then helps carry a bloody and weary Hitman to the back.

11. No Time Limit: STEVE WILLIAMS/TERRY GORDY def. ROB VAN DAM/SABU in 47:52 during a grueling I QUIT match for the WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS. Sabu was KO'd at 21:01, leaving RVD to battle alone against two hard-hitting heavyweights who had illegally stolen their tag team titles from them last month. After brawling in and out of the ring for 20 more minutes, RVD tapped out when Gordy slapped on the Sharpshooter. Williams and Gordy then grabbed Team 4:20's ECW World Tag Team Championships (which they had been using in lieu of their stolen belts) as well and left the ring, leaving RVD to check on the semi-conscious Sabu at ringside. We've just received word that Sabu has a concussion and won't be able to compete for at least a month, meaning that RVD will have to find a replacement partner to help him regain their rightful titles next month. RVD assures us that he has "Someone very special in mind."

Tune in this week for WEDNESDAY NIGHT WARS! for more SWA Wrestling action!

SWA Wrestling: Pure Wrestling Spirit (c)

Also, Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 is fucking awesome. That is all.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:27 am  Reply with quote

I used to have wcw vs nwo vs the world.

I actually miss it. Blood I believe his name is was my best character. Are you saying this game is similar to that?

If so, where can I get it, what systems are it on, and about how much is it?
Rottenjesus
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

arandomthought wrote:

I actually miss it. Blood I believe his name is was my best character. Are you saying this game is similar to that?

If you mean FIRE PRO WRESTLING RETURNS, then it's very affordable since it's a budget title. You can order it online through Amazon or check your local Gamestop or whatever for it. It's for the PS2, which is also pretty cheap as well nowadays.

A word of warning: The graphics are in high-res 2D and there is a learning curve in mastering the timing of the game when you execute strikes/moves. You've got to stick with it to really appreciate it...it really is the best wrestling game ever to come out here since the AKI Nintendo 64 games.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:15 am  Reply with quote

Rottenjesus wrote:
arandomthought wrote:

If you mean FIRE PRO WRESTLING RETURNS, then it's very affordable since it's a budget title. You can order it online through Amazon or check your local Gamestop or whatever for it. It's for the PS2, which is also pretty cheap as well nowadays.

A word of warning: The graphics are in high-res 2D and there is a learning curve in mastering the timing of the game when you execute strikes/moves. You've got to stick with it to really appreciate it...it really is the best wrestling game ever to come out here since the AKI Nintendo 64 games.

Never played them. I haven't been a wrestling fan, but I absolutely loved the wcw nwo vs the world game.

I need to get a ps2 now. I've always been more of an fps fan, but this me thinks is well worth getting now.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:02 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

I actually found copies of FPWR in the Wal-Mart bargain bin for less than $10. It's a no-lose scenario.

Just remember, practice practice practice. There is no easy victories in FPWR (unless you count criticals, of course.)

If you need some convincing, come visit my old FPWR league page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChainsawFPW

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
arandomthought
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:47 am  Reply with quote

That's a pretty brutal match. I hate watching wrestling, but is the gameplay as good as the wcw nwo vs the world?

Also, how good is character creation?

And last but not least, I noticed 5 or 6 graphical glitches(looking one way, then automatically the next, small stuff), are there anything else I should be aware of?
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:04 am  Reply with quote

arandomthought wrote:
That's a pretty brutal match. I hate watching wrestling, but is the gameplay as good as the wcw nwo vs the world?

Also, how good is character creation?

And last but not least, I noticed 5 or 6 graphical glitches(looking one way, then automatically the next, small stuff), are there anything else I should be aware of?

The gameplay's much more different than WCW Vs. The World (although it has been years wince I played WCW Vs. The World). A lot of it is timing based, and really doesn't reward button mashing. In fact, it's easy to get crushed on even the lowest setting without practice. But it is a deep game with a lot of rewarding moments when you watch them and pull them off.

Character creation is more limited than something like the SD games, but you'd be amazed with some of the CAW's you can find floating around online. Like the No Mercy series, it challenges you to make the best guys with the tools present.

There are some graphical glitches, but they aren't as prevalent as some games (guys usually don't clip together or through the mat like the SD games, since it's a 2D game)

I hope you'll be willing to give it a shot. With a roster of over 800 wrestlers with CAW's, it's certainly a deep game.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Rottenjesus
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:22 am  Reply with quote

Additionally, you can retire wrestlers that you feel are holding championships that much younger guys should be holding.

Like, for example....STING. Oh yes, your days are numbered buddy. Annoyed

*long winded rant about the BFG finish deleted*

I cannot say enough good things about this game. It will eat up many hours of life when you get addicted to it. Thank god I have Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 to take my mind off of FPR. Wink

It's funny that I was playing WCW/NWO Revenge the other day and I was competing for the WCW TV Title with a 15 minute time limit on each match. The first thing I said to myself was "That's not long enough to have a good match." since I'm now so used to having matches with 30 to 60 minute time limits that anything less is kinda irritating.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:44 am  Reply with quote

I don't know jack about recent wrestling games.

Does this game have weapons and such? How intuitive is the CAW?

Which sting are you talking about, and how do I port from pc to ps2?
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:54 am  Reply with quote

arandomthought wrote:

Weapons include chairs, kedo sticks, pieces of tables, bats, barbed wired baseball bats...and a few other items that I can't remember. Also, there are cage, barbed wire, and Exploding deathmatches, as well as a tournament mode, league mode, tag team matches for 4 man teams...a whole slew of stuff.

The CAW can be frustrating when you start out, because there's a process to doing things, assigning wrestlers to different feds, getting colors right...it takes some work. But you do get the hang of it, it does work well. Check up on some vids on Youtube, there's some tutorials out there that can walk you through.

And you can download wrestler edit packs by using the Action Replay Max or Gameshark devices and a flash drive. I recommend the AR Max, since that's the one I use, and a flash drive 1 Gig or under. Check out www.fireproclub.com for even more info and a good start to finding edit packs.

arandomthought
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:
arandomthought wrote:

Weapons include chairs, kedo sticks, pieces of tables, bats, barbed wired baseball bats...and a few other items that I can't remember. Also, there are cage, barbed wire, and Exploding deathmatches, as well as a tournament mode, league mode, tag team matches for 4 man teams...a whole slew of stuff.

The CAW can be frustrating when you start out, because there's a process to doing things, assigning wrestlers to different feds, getting colors right...it takes some work. But you do get the hang of it, it does work well. Check up on some vids on Youtube, there's some tutorials out there that can walk you through.

And you can download wrestler edit packs by using the Action Replay Max or Gameshark devices and a flash drive. I recommend the AR Max, since that's the one I use, and a flash drive 1 Gig or under. Check out www.fireproclub.com for even more info and a good start to finding edit packs.

Exploding deathmatches? Explain this one to me, because if it is what I'm picturing yeah, I'm definately going for it. As for AR and GS, I try not to touch those because they can cause damage on discs and rewriting of coding on the disc.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:29 am  Reply with quote

arandomthought wrote:
Chainsaw wrote:
arandomthought wrote:

Exploding deathmatches? Explain this one to me, because if it is what I'm picturing yeah, I'm definately going for it. As for AR and GS, I try not to touch those because they can cause damage on discs and rewriting of coding on the disc.

Um, that's the first I've heard of that. The primary use of the AR Replay for FPWR is to use it as a memory card manager so you can get saves to your system. Otherwise, you could be in for a long haul of renaming wrestlers and making guys.

And exploding deahtmatches are matches where if you throw them out of the ring, they explode on C4 boards on the outside. This can also be implemented in cage matches, where a timer calls the ring to explode.

Oh yeah.

arandomthought
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:42 am  Reply with quote

Ok. If it's just used as a memory manager, I'll use it. Cheats is what screws shit up.

As for exploding deathmatch, you just sold me. I'm buying a ps2 soon.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:25 am  Reply with quote

Good man. Wait until you CRITICAL your first wrestler.

Again, visit fireproclub to get a foothold on the basics of the game. Again, steep learning curve, but when you pick up on things, it really takes off.

If worse comes to worse, just watch the matches. They really are fun.

arandomthought
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:14 am  Reply with quote

Not much for watching, I'll definately pick it up when I get the chance. I'll probably wait till xmas, or nov. until I get more $$ for the ps2.