FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> SUPERNATURAL - Season 4
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:36 am  Reply with quote

So Sam and Dean graced our television screens again tonight as SUPERNATURAL came roaring back. All in all, an exceptional season premiere, and even though I saw the twist coming very early on, it was well-handled.

How long until Dean quotes the Blues Brothers about being "on a mission from God?"

Also, it was nice to see Jen Halley (BSG's Seelix) pop up in a bit role as the demon waitress. And it looks like we'll be seeing the return of Meg (Nicki Aycox) next week. Good to have it back!
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

MM, you know what shows I like (and we like most of the same ones), should I check this out?
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:37 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

S P O I L E R S B E L O W

I'm not sure how I feel about the twist. One thing I always appreciated about Supernatural was its lack of blatantly religious overtones, but on the other hand, it only makes sense that if there are demons, there undoubtedly are angels as well. I suppose it'll depend on how it plays out.

Other than that aspect of the premiere, of course I loved it! It was good to see Ruby back (although the actress' delivery was a little off -- hopefully she'll grow into the part), and the secrecy between Sam and Dean adds a nice edge to their relationship. Pound for pound, no other show does monsters and spooky stuff as well as Supernatural.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
MM, you know what shows I like (and we like most of the same ones), should I check this out?

Absolutely. To be honest, I was on the fence about SUPERNATURAL for most of the first season, which was highly episodic while the show was still searching for its voice. I also wasn't quite sold on the two leads. Now, I think it's one of the best genre shows on television, and I love the lead characters. The writing staff is uniformly excellent (they've even got Ben Edlund, the guy who created The Tick!) and rarely put out a so-so episode these days. Also, most of the production crew are the same folks who worked on THE X-FILES when it was still filming in Vancouver, so it looks amazing as well. Oh, and the music is terrific -- the show's creators absolutely refused to cave in to the CW's desire to fill their shows with current pop garbage. Instead, they punctuate the show with tons of classic rock, which works perfectly with the characters. In fact, make sure you watch the "Previously on Supernatural" segments before each episode -- as the first season nears the end, these little recap segments both stylistically and musically enhance the show.

I say give it a shot, but be patient as the show builds and finds it voice. By the last section of the first season, you should be quite enjoying it.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:40 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Messiahman wrote:
Oh, and the music is terrific -- the show's creators absolutely refused to cave in to the CW's desire to fill their shows with current pop garbage.

Indeed -- the music is like a whole nother character on the show.

MM, how much did you laugh when Dean tossed Sam's Ipod into the back seat? Laughing
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

The Woman In Black wrote:
Messiahman wrote:
Oh, and the music is terrific -- the show's creators absolutely refused to cave in to the CW's desire to fill their shows with current pop garbage.

Indeed -- the music is like a whole nother character on the show.

MM, how much did you laugh when Dean tossed Sam's Ipod into the back seat? Laughing

The look on his face when he saw the Ipod docking station was priceless.
David
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:14 am  Reply with quote

S P O I L E R S B E L O W

I'm not sure how I feel about the twist. One thing I always appreciated about Supernatural was its lack of blatantly religious overtones, but on the other hand, it only makes sense that if there are demons, there undoubtedly are angels as well. I suppose it'll depend on how it plays out.

Last season my friend said that an angel would save Dean after he saw a rerun of Houses of the Holy from season 2. I guess it's not unprecedented in the series because Dean said he saw the hand of God at the end of that episode. This season should be interesting to say the least.

Anyway, it's great to have Supernatural back! I'm just happy they brought Dean back right away. Watching Sammy pine away for him for a few episodes would have been a drag. Also, I give Dean one more episode before he says the "We're on a mission from God" line. Smile
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:58 am  Reply with quote

One thing I always appreciated about Supernatural was its lack of blatantly religious overtones

Lack of blatantly religious overtones? You do recall that they've been chanting Latin prayers and using holy water and rosaries to exorcise demons since the show began, right? The show has always been steeped in Roman Catholicism -- it's only logical that we'd see the flipside of Hell eventually.

What will be interesting is seeing how it plays out now that Dean is working for the Big G, while Sammy is working with a demon (and is indeed part demon himself).

Let the good times roll.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:35 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Messiahman wrote:
You do recall that they've been chanting Latin prayers and using holy water and rosaries to exorcise demons since the show began, right? The show has always been steeped in Roman Catholicism...

Well, sure, but they're just as likely to use rock salt or other weapons along with spells/chants from cultures and languages with no Judeo-Christian basis whatsoever, which is what I meant by "blatantly religious". I've always appreciated the balance and am just hoping they don't devolve into only focusing on that side of things -- although from the many times I've seen Kripke speak, it doesn't seem likely to happen.
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:05 am  Reply with quote

I think Season 4's opening episodes so far are stronger than last season's. I'm still not sold on Ruby 2.0, but I'm sure they can work it out since she barely has any screentime. Misha Collins reminds me of House.

Sidenote, Jensen's performance in last thursday's episode was just amazing. I almost cried when he told that nice young lady to not get out of bed. Also, the casting was perfect. Nee had Mary's eyes, and Matt had John's eyebrows...and he's like, totally hot.
nhseagle112
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

what do you think about sam's new power? also what is up with the angel threatening dean again?
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:44 am  Reply with quote

Well these are crazy Old Testament kill-you-dead angels we're talking about, so Dean's pretty lucky that Castiel didn't smite him down the moment he started mouthing off.
What The Cat Dragged In
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

I love this show. I can't wait for the next, Universal Monsters-inspired episode.
Emy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

I finally am all cought up with last season and this season.

Great start of the season. I got worried when angels got brought in as I would be annoyed as can be if it turn uber religious on us. A small dose of religionis ok, but too much and it might feel a bit preachy.

Oh and I just LOVED the Universal monsters episode...
What The Cat Dragged In
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:18 am  Reply with quote

This week's ep was good too. I was cracking up too when they showed Dean rocking to "The Eye of the Tiger." Friggin' hilarious!

Next week's episode should be some good ole' Halloween fun.