Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Fringe
ImTheMoon
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

well i'm still interested enough to watch next week
Messiahman
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

ImTheMoon wrote:
Nomad wrote:
I tried to watch the premiere of this...was really bored and got distracted the whole time. Shame. Your not alone in missing Joss. Didnt he have a new show with that Faith chick coming soon?

yeah it's still coming but is on hold temporarily because Joss said the scripts weren't up to his standard, so he's working on them more before filming restarts.

The reality of this is actually that Fox wasn't happy with the scripts or the direction of the show, and Whedon is trying to find a happy medium. However, it's fairly obvious that the show is in major trouble before it's even come out of the gate -- Whedon already shot a brand new pilot for Fox, who were quite unhappy with the initial one (he's since reshot and recut it into the second episode). Odds are very high that DOLLHOUSE will be stillborn.

As for FRINGE, the second episode was even more formulaic than the pilot, and the final shot was shoehorned in for no apparent reason with one of the worst edits I've ever seen on a television show. And aside from John Noble, the characters are still dull and one-dimensional. The plot was trite and predictable.

However, the one thing that gives me some real hope is that the producers somehow managed to wrangle reclusive ubergenius Darin Morgan into writing a few eps. Morgan wrote four legendary episodes of THE X-FILES (War of the Coprophages, Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Humbug and Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose) and two of MILENNIUM (Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense and Somehow Satan Got Behind Me) that quickly and easily established him as one of the top five writers who've ever worked on television. If anyone can make this show fun and interesting, it's him.
Scotto
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

Holy moly, I forgot about the ridiculous half-second edit at the end. A weird afterthought, perhaps, to add a little "oooh".

And does ANYONE fall for shock dream sequences anymore? I have a contest with myself to see how fast I can call one out loud. They're trying, I'll give them that, but they could try harder.

And it looks like Dollhouse is going the same way as Firefly did. Sadly so, as it was Whedon's struggles with the networks that swore him off TV. Here's hoping it see the light of day at all.
brainee
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:27 am  Reply with quote

I found the second episode just "meh". It peaked in the pre-credit sequence. Next week doesn't look so exciting ... a telepath episode. I was hoping this show wouldn't be afraid to delve into some really weird science, not retreads of stuff we've already seen many times before. I'm still sticking with it for the forseeable future.
Impure159
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:38 am  Reply with quote

May not be the best show on television but after the second episode I'm convinced it's a solid outing and definitely worth my time.
Scotto
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:53 am  Reply with quote

Curious as to what others thought about last night's episode. I thought the line from Agent Broyles was pretty spot on, "All this leads to just another list of questions."

J.J., if you're going to spread a bigger secret over everything, please this time make it interesting along the way? If I wanted to watch an egg-shaped prop that looked like it was pulled from storage on a black and white Buck Rogers episode and watch Joshua Jackson annoy the hell out of everyone including myself by STILL thinking is father is insane, I need more than some tepid weirdness and a few by-numbers gun battles.

Sorry if anyone is digging this. Don't mean to rain on your parade, really. But outside of the idea of sending a missile through the earth which I thought was pretty cool, this show is coming across like more weak sauce to me.
Impure159
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Scotto wrote:
Curious as to what others thought about last night's episode. I thought the line from Agent Broyles was pretty spot on, "All this leads to just another list of questions."

J.J., if you're going to spread a bigger secret over everything, please this time make it interesting along the way? If I wanted to watch an egg-shaped prop that looked like it was pulled from storage on a black and white Buck Rogers episode and watch Joshua Jackson annoy the hell out of everyone including myself by STILL thinking is father is insane, I need more than some tepid weirdness and a few by-numbers gun battles.

Sorry if anyone is digging this. Don't mean to rain on your parade, really. But outside of the idea of sending a missile through the earth which I thought was pretty cool, this show is coming across like more weak sauce to me.

It's still better than 98% of television, I like it.
Scotto
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

I guess. I just find myself flipping around a lot.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

I'm still digging it.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

RingoJ wrote:
I'm still digging it.

I'm not balls deep with it, but I still find a desire to tune in every week. I still can't get away from thinking it really wants to be its best "Planetary" clone it can be.

Hopefully, they won't drag out getting down to business on what all the cool shit is.
TsMkLg068426
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:56 pm  Reply with quote

EvilRex wrote:
RingoJ wrote:
I'm still digging it.

I'm not balls deep with it, but I still find a desire to tune in every week. I still can't get away from thinking it really wants to be its best "Planetary" clone it can be.

Hopefully, they won't drag out getting down to business on what all the cool shit is.

Haha same here, but I am guessing this is going to be a Mythology episode like The X-Files, people who think this show is bad they should watch Prison Break man stretched it far enough, seriously would they ever tell us what The Company is all about? Heck it did not have anything to do with that in 1st season and 2nd.