FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Fringe
Impure159
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:06 am  Reply with quote

Anyone else see this show? I've heard it described as X-files meets 24 and honestly I love it so far, I don't watch much television but this is now one of the shows I will never miss.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:59 am  Reply with quote

Even though it has a totally "been there, done that" feel to it, it was a decent time waster.

I can't help but feel, though, that J.J. Abrams has become pretty predictable.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:52 am  Reply with quote

I found it dull, plodding and poorly cast. The lead character is listless, uninteresting and looks like an F.B.I. agent you might see in a Gap ad, and whoever decided that Joshua Jackson should play a wisecracking scientific genius should really be fired. They actually managed to make THE WIRE's awesome Lance Reddick bland and boring... and that really takes some doing.

The dialogue was functional at best, the plotting was by the numbers, and the ongoing story arc was awkwardly shoehorned in.

Also, the white 3-D letters that kept popping up at the beginning of every scene got old quick. I kept waiting for someone to crash into them.

Nothing new or remotely interesting here. Unless I hear of a drastic upturn in quality, I won't be tuning in again.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:47 am  Reply with quote

I think a series based on Wildstorm Comic's Planetary would have been much cooler.
Sirand
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:41 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'm with Messiah on this. It's little more than an X-Files clone crossed with those endlessly bad network TV forensic-tech shows.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

EvilRex wrote:
I think a series based on Wildstorm Comic's Planetary would have been much cooler.

Complete agreement here. And I really wish they would've also gone ahead with the series based on Ellis' GLOBAL FREQUENCY as well.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:35 am  Reply with quote

Impure159 wrote:
Anyone else see this show? I've heard it described as X-files meets 24 and honestly I love it so far, I don't watch much television but this is now one of the shows I will never miss.

I think I agree with you.
Impure159
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:03 am  Reply with quote

RingoJ wrote:
Impure159 wrote:

Thank you Ringo, so I'm not the only one.
MagusMaleficus
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Impure159 wrote:
RingoJ wrote:
Impure159 wrote:

Thank you Ringo, so I'm not the only one.

Now we're a party of three. I quite liked the show. Sure, it does crib a bit from The X-Files, but that show when into the shitter quick. If Fringe can live up to the promise The X-Files broke, I'll stick by it to the end.
bulletcrazy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with the haters. At first I wanted to give it a pass just cause its sci-fi, but the more I think about it, the more I realize how worthless and uninteresting the characters are. When I watch 24 or house, I see characters that are interesting to watch and have personality, whereas the people here are either completley non-existant or walking cliches. And 10 million dollar budget my ass, 24 looks 10 times more expensive and costs a lot less per episode. The only cool shot in the whole pilot was the establishing shot of baghdad with the helicopters. The car chase was pathetic though.
MagusMaleficus
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:41 am  Reply with quote

bulletcrazy wrote:
I agree with the haters. At first I wanted to give it a pass just cause its sci-fi, but the more I think about it, the more I realize how worthless and uninteresting the characters are. When I watch 24 or house, I see characters that are interesting to watch and have personality, whereas the people here are either completley non-existant or walking cliches. And 10 million dollar budget my ass, 24 looks 10 times more expensive and costs a lot less per episode. The only cool shot in the whole pilot was the establishing shot of baghdad with the helicopters. The car chase was pathetic though.

Gonna have to disagree that either House or 24 have interesting characters, but otherwise I see your point.
Impure159
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:01 am  Reply with quote

MagusMaleficus wrote:
bulletcrazy wrote:

Gonna have to disagree that either House or 24 have interesting characters, but otherwise I see your point.

Yeah I like House but except for House himself none of the other characters are interesting., and I just don't like 24 at all.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:20 am  Reply with quote

I wasn't blown away but I'm interested enough to tune in again. Maybe it's because I watched 90210, but I thought nothing could be worse than that.

I miss Joss Whedon like crazy though.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:52 am  Reply with quote

I watched the pilot last night and thought it was good enough to watch again on Tuesday. I want to see where it goes but I do agree with the not so good casting.
Scotto
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

I caught the pilot rebroadcast last night and was pleasantly surprised. Some smart dialog and decent special effects, I thought. It's also cast pretty well. J.J. Abrams was on my probation list after Lost, but so far, so good.

Anyone else see it?