FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Buffy / Angel - Which character shows the worst evolution?

Buffy/Angel - Worst Character Development?
Buffy
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
Angel
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Willow
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Xander
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
Cordelia
18%
 18%  [ 5 ]
Wesley
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fred
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 27

Elf
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:21 am  Reply with quote

You have my condolances and pitty that you missed some amazing TV then.

One thing that bothered me on "Angel" is that they toned down Angelus a lot. On "Buffy" you were to belive this guy was the Scourge of Europe. He was bad to be bad. It wasn't just feeding, he turned evil into an artform and enjoyed every moment of it.

Even the Master said he was the most vicious creature he'd ever met.

Then on "Angel" they toned down the whole Angelus aspect and made it look like Darla orchistrated everything. Then they had him turn into Angelus again . . . And it wasn't the coldly sadistic fiend who was going to send the world to hell just because he COULD NOT break Buffy like he had Drusilla. No, he was a smartass who didn't even get an onscreen kill.

*Big deep breath* I feel better now.
The Reaper
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

Elf wrote:
You have my condolances and pitty that you missed some amazing TV then.

One thing that bothered me on "Angel" is that they toned down Angelus a lot. On "Buffy" you were to belive this guy was the Scourge of Europe. He was bad to be bad. It wasn't just feeding, he turned evil into an artform and enjoyed every moment of it.

Even the Master said he was the most vicious creature he'd ever met.

Then on "Angel" they toned down the whole Angelus aspect and made it look like Darla orchistrated everything. Then they had him turn into Angelus again . . . And it wasn't the coldly sadistic fiend who was going to send the world to hell just because he COULD NOT break Buffy like he had Drusilla. No, he was a smartass who didn't even get an onscreen kill.

*Big deep breath* I feel better now.

There, there. *comforts*
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

The Woman In Black wrote:
I went with Cordelia. Her arc from beginning to just past the middle was awesome, but by the end, I was definitely ready for her to go. I liked what Joss and the writers did with her the least out of all the characters on both shows.

I liked Cordelia's progression. She went from she-bitch, to bubblebrain, to accomplice.

And her last episode was very sad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Angelus
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:00 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
The Woman In Black wrote:
I went with Cordelia. Her arc from beginning to just past the middle was awesome, but by the end, I was definitely ready for her to go. I liked what Joss and the writers did with her the least out of all the characters on both shows.

I liked Cordelia's progression. She went from she-bitch, to bubblebrain, to accomplice.

And her last episode was very sad.

one of the many sad episodes from season 5
Do you drink up all the punch while you wish 'em all to
Kaisersoze
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:08 am  Reply with quote

I'm just glad no-one voted Wesley. I'd have had to go postal.

As for my vote, out of the options, I'm running with Xander. Goofy likeable nerd in S1 to goofy likeable nerd with one-eye in S7. Amazing.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

I find it hilarious how many people think Buffy was the worst developed character. I guess you all missed the point. She was easily the most evolved character from the beginning.

Her character went through more life changing moments than any other character on the show and her character reflected that perfectly. She was a deeply complex character only rivaled show-wise, by Spike.

People say she was a self-righteous bitch without even an ounce of sympathy or empathy. At 17 she had to kill her first true love which changed her forever. Shit, my first break-up still has repercussions all these years later. Forget the fact that she's constantly faced with saving the world, her mother dies, her sister nearly dies, she dies (TWICE), gets sucked out of heaven by her FRIENDS, goes through a punishing depression before she pulls herself out and then has the responsibility of fighting the root of all evil and protecting an even larger group of people.

She was constantly reminded that she was the only one and the only other one turned out to be homicidal. That girl suffered more than anyone I've ever known real or fictional and yet she gets hated on because she's self-righteous?

Ok then, by all means, tell me how she SHOULD have acted in all those instances. since you all have such a grasp on it?

The worst developed character on the list is easily Willow. Not a single lesbian moment rang true. It reeked of desperation the moment they started it and it never ended. I never bought it, no matter how good Allison Hannigan was in the role. It was a "jump the shark" moment that I felt the show never recovered from. I could see if she was bi because that would make sense but even the writers didn't buy it with all the time she's forced to say "Gay now" and such. Lame, unconvincing character development.
Freak Monkey
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

We're seriously pushing the boundaries of my memory here, but as I recall Fred was a quiet, quirky nerd with a thing for Angel, then a quiet, quirky nerd with a thing for Gunn and finally a quiet, quirky nerd with a thing for Wesley. Yes, she managed to overcome her emotional baggage from being cow on Pylea, and the whole Illyria/Fred plotline would have been great if Whedon had more time.

I was quite fond of the character, but compared to the rest on the list I don't think they did much with her.
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:12 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Had to go with Fred only because Joss didn't have enough time to finish it out.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

The Angel series finale is one of the finest hours of television ever made.
DischordianJoy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

I dunno, I have to say Buffy as well. Yeah, she had a lot of shit happen to her, but in the end, she's still the same old Buffy. She's still self absorbed, she's still cold and cruel... Maybe it's just SMG, I dunno, but with the exception of a few scenes with Dawn and a few scenes with Angel in the beginning and Spike in the end, she was always the same - whine whine whine. Not that she didn't deserve it, of course she did, she was created as a teenage vampire slayer - that's bound to mess you up hardcore. But there's no change, no growth, no development. Just wah wah wah, I'm the slayer, wah wah wah, no one loves me, wah wah wah.