FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> World War Z
CrimsonKing82
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:46 am  Reply with quote

The only way this book will work as a film is if it was done as a Documentary style, with flashback elements. However I have a feeling they will just show one side to the story. The problem is, its WORLD War Z for a reason.

A Mini series, or a single season show would probably be the way to go. Each week you could take a look at another person's take on the events. Or even have it set up like a History Channel presents type show, each week demonstrating another element and story.

I just have a bad feeling about this, if it was put into the wrong screenwriters hands.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

CrimsonKing82 wrote:

I just have a bad feeling about this, if it was put into the wrong screenwriters hands.

Last I heard, J. Michael Strazynski (sic) was attached to write the screenplay. He's big right now in the comics realm, but has some significant tv writing credits to include Babylon 5.
Scotto
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:03 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting story in regards to this excellent novel:

I was in NYC to see Mel Brooks' Broadway production of Young Frankenstein and I had some time to kill, so I walked a few blocks from my hotel to a Borders book store. When I got in I browsed along with the other book store junkies but never intended on buying anything, as I was going to see a show and was just waiting out the few remaining hours until it started.

Quite by accident I happened upon a stack of WWZ's that had been relegated to a table somewhere near the check out counter. I had read about it, and already owned the Guide, so I picked it up and started thumbing through some of the chapters. I was instantly hooked, as it reminded me of those "dispatch" novels about the Vietnam War.

So I bought the copy in my hand and went back to the hotel. When I got back I discovered two things: one, Max Brooks is Mel Brooks' son. Don't know why I never caught onto that before, as I had even watched some youtube videos of him discussing WWZ how odd that I was to see his father's most seminal work that evening; two, the copy I picked up was signed by Max. He must have done an in-store at some point, and this copy a one off, perhaps wound up in the pile with the others.

So I now own a signed copy of what is surely one of the best novels I've ever read. His passion for the genre, given his pedigree, just delighted me. Also, I've come to find that Brad Pitt's production company, Plan B, won a bidding war with Leonardo DeCaprio's company to produce it, and whatever your opinions of Mr. Pitt, I'm of the belief that he does things right, and spares no expense in the process.

As of this posting he's set to play the reporter who travels the globe to do the interviews, and the theme is, of course, how the various systems of civilization coped or failed to cope respectively to the outbreak. Flashbacks have been discussed.

For more, visit the IMDB listing. Release date expected some time in 2010 and the script is being written by J. Michael Straczynski of TV's "Babylon Five". If you want to check out his chops on the big screen, Clint Eastwood's The Changeling is being released into theaters in October of this year and stars Angelina Jolie and John Malkovich. No, it's not a remake of he George C. Scott film (for better or worse, I dunno) but it is written by Straczynski.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:05 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Scotto.
Freak Monkey
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

Scotto wrote:
Interesting story in regards to this excellent novel:

...I discovered two things: one, Max Brooks is Mel Brooks' son

Shocked I did not know that!

And I'm with you on Pitt; not a fan of the pretty boys, but he is a freak at heart, make no mistake! I'm sure he will do right by WWZ.