Original CHARMED Star Slams Reboot

Holly Marie Combs

Original Charmed star Holly Marie Combs isn’t too happy about the CW’s upcoming reboot. Combs, who played Piper in the original series took to Twitter writing:

Here’s the thing. Until you ask us to rewrite it like Brad Kern did weekly don’t even think of capitalizing on our hard work. Charmed belongs to the 4 of us, our vast amount of writers, crews and predominantly the fans. FYI you will not fool them by owning a title/stamp. So bye.

Ouch.

She then went on to say, “I will never understand what is fierce, funny, or feminist in creating a show that basically says the original actresses are too old to do a job they did 12 years ago. I hope the new show is far better than the marketing so the true legacy does remain.”

Again, ouch.

But all of that aside, she then said some kinda nice things the other day, such as she appreciates “the jobs and opportunities the Charmed reboot has created,” and “Reboots fair better when they honor the original as opposed to taking shots at the original. Reboots also do better when they listen to a still passionate fan base which is what it’s all about, isn’t it? That’s why we do reboots. The fans are why we all get to do what we do. So we wish them well and hope for success.”

Fair enough.

Sarah Jeffery

But now one of the stars of the new series, Sarah Jeffery responded with her own post on Twitter writing:

I fully understand how deal the OG Charmed is to many… we are so beyond grateful to have the opportunity to bring this reboot to life and bring current, timely themes to the forefront of a show that stars not one, not two, but THREE WOC!!! We regard the foundation that was laid with great respect. But, when my character is challenged, when there is futile yet harmful noise about how we are either incapable or doomed, I will vociferously defend myself and my sistersThe original Charmed will always stay very much intact and will always be widely respected. I invite you to come on this journey with us to discover more stories within the universe. I also respect your declination. But please, let’s show up for one another in favorable ways and be kind with our opinionsI know our show will have a positive effect on so many women, youth, and anyone who is receptive to being on the right side of history.”

Who will fire back next on this topic? Meh. I guess we’ll see… whether we want to or not.

You can check out the tweets yourself below – along with the recently released trailer for the reboot – and then make sure to hit us up and let us know what you think in the comments below or on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram!

https://youtu.be/loWpbevW9xg

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: