FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> The Walking Dead Volume 8 --SPOILER DISCUSSION--
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:12 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

I feel like we need a support group. Holy shit.

Even the fucking baby?

This installment was pure Armageddon. Wow. Just wow.
conundrum
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

How far did this volume go? I follow the bi-monthly comic (at least it is not yearly, like "Fell") so I am a bit off by where the trade is.

From what you say though, I gather that it at least covers the fall of the prison. It had to happen. There was only so much more they could milk from that storyline considering they had become almost completely safe from the zombies.

And after everything, it was nice that it was one of the Gov's own people who realized what a vile, evil creature he truly was and unceremoniously capped his ass.

I honestly have no idea where the series is going now. Rick has always been the main protagonist in my eyes, but they are making it look like he is going to bite it. That would be a DAMN bold move, but I would kind of like to see it. And after all the shit that went down, I think they would do it, too.
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:38 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

Volume 8 ended after Ricks wife and baby was killed.

Fuck, almost everyone died in that ish!

I thought Tyrese was gonna be the one big spoiler of the installment but then people started dropping like flies.
Mephistopheles
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:08 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, I expected the "supporting" cast to die (I.E. Hershel) but I expected Tyreese to live, and I certainly didn't expect to see the poor baby get blown in half. Sad

If you've just read the issues though, the trade has a couple of extra pages for pacing reasons in the last issue.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Without a doubt the biggest gut punch ever. I absolutely LOVE the story here and I love that Kirkman pulled the rug out from everyone, but I certainly hope he knows what he's doing because I would hate for it to be a sensationalized attempt at generating discussion.

I have a feeling that Rick is actually a "zombie apocalypse" version of Job.

I was shockeded when Tyreese died so brutally, but then everyone else dropped like flies. I had to look at the panel with RIck's wife and baby like 10 times. I was actually pissed that he did that. Like I said, I really hope he knows what he's doing. I don't see the point in having them get pregnant, have a baby, and then have them both get killed in one shot.
conundrum
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

One of the things Kirkman has always said is that he wants things to happen like he feels they would happen in real life. So somebody being slowed down due to carrying a baby = easy target.

I for one love it. Comics, and for that matter movies, TV, books, and pretty much any serial art form do not take death seriously enough. Aunt May died? Who cares, she will be back in a few issues. You say someone "died" on "Lost"? Yeah, I am sure that we will never see that character again.

This is a book where death happens, it stays done, and that gives it an impact. The fact that you get miffed by the deaths is a good thing, because that means you cared. The person had unresolved plot lines? That is how it is.

And oddly enough, it was Axel's death that hit me hard. I always felt sorry for him. He tried to be a decent guy but nobody trusted him because of the other convicts. And before he ever gets full acceptance (he was definitely close), he bites the big one.
Mephistopheles
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:57 pm  Reply with quote

conundrum wrote:
You say someone "died" on "Lost"? Yeah, I am sure that we will never see that character again.

Well, yeah, in flashbacks and 'visions', but if a character's dead they don't come back.
conundrum
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:27 am  Reply with quote

Mephistopheles wrote:
conundrum wrote:
You say someone "died" on "Lost"? Yeah, I am sure that we will never see that character again.

Well, yeah, in flashbacks and 'visions', but if a character's dead they don't come back.

Mr. Echo
Naomi
Desmond
Mikhail
Michael

All of these characters have sustained fatal injuries and come back. I guess that Desmond was just in the middle of a huge explosion...

Oh, and I am willing to bet that Jin will be back. But this is getting off track.

My point is that in something like "Lost", the consequences of "dying" are relatively minor. We will almost certainly see them again, they will most likely get closure with those they left behind. "Walking Dead" definitely has a more final sense to its deaths. The characters will not be coming back, their loose ends will stay loose forever. And comics are usually the greatest offender of this rule so it is fantastic that this one is breaking the mold.
Mephistopheles
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:55 am  Reply with quote

I meant there's no characters who definitely die and return (like Aunt May and Green Goblin for example), not characters who survive cliffhangers.

But yeah, the Walking Dead is more realistic in terms of fatalities. Some people on Kirkman's board are guessing that Rick's going to die and Carl's going to take over, but I doubt Kirkman would go that far, at least not yet.

BTW, did you see the cover for #57 yet?

conundrum
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:05 am  Reply with quote

Dude, that pic makes me think something that I have always wondered about the series; would he kill EVERYONE. Just kill them all, and move in and start following a new group. It would be ballsy and would probably piss off a lot of people, but when has this series shied away from pissing off people?