FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> Any "My Chemical Romance" Fans?
Texas Horror
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

I'm 33, and really don't like 95% of rock created in say... the past ten years.

Having said that, I recently discovered MCR. Are these guys not the best fuckin thing goin right now?

I had heard a couple of their songs way back, and liked them. But never really listened to much of their stuff.

But I recently caught an episode of "Loaded" on Fuse featuring them, and wow. I really find them interesting. And I dig their get-ups.

Good rock music without any gimmicks. Love 'em.
Lex Bastard
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:41 am  Reply with quote

33? You might be their oldest fan!
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:07 am  Reply with quote

Texas Horror wrote:
I'm 33, and really don't like 95% of rock created in say... the past ten years.

Having said that, I recently discovered MCR. Are these guys not the best fuckin thing goin right now?

I had heard a couple of their songs way back, and liked them. But never really listened to much of their stuff.

But I recently caught an episode of "Loaded" on Fuse featuring them, and wow. I really find them interesting. And I dig their get-ups.

Good rock music without any gimmicks. Love 'em.

I hope you are being sarcastic. I really do. Neutral
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:26 am  Reply with quote

Well these guys have a reputation of being an emo fag-band only 14 year old girls who scratch themselves listen to. My wife (who's well out of her teens) got The Last Parade and loves it. So I gave it a whirl and you know what? It's...ok. Song #7 rocks pretty well. If I didn't know it was MCR, I might have even thought it was good. At leat I didn't feel nauseous like I do when Nickelback's on the radio. I guess it's taboo for anyone over 30 to like this stuff. Hey, if you like it, good for you. You are correct about the last 10 years, hell I'll go the last 15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXAujry_DSM<--Tell me you wouldn't play that on rock band.
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

They'd be okay if it wasn't for their singer, I find his style somewhat annoying.
wkileen
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

I wasn't aware that you had to be a certain age to enjoy music. I will guarantee you that you are not the oldest My Chemical Romance fan. The musicians themselves range from 28 to 31 years of age. Their music showcases punk rock, metal aspects with a modern pop rock feel. The Black Parade is a concept CD ranging in influence from Queen to Iron Maiden. So it would make perfect sense for someone in the bands age rage to like their music.
They do stand out from what has been made in the past 10 years or so, because they actually have talent and they are just great at what they do. When you go to a MCR concert you get a show, which makes you feel like you are going to a concert back in the day when a show was part of the over all package. These guys write their own stuff and are constantly touring or writing. They care about their art and they are not just something that was made up in some studio. They all grew up togther, other than the drummer who was a friend and fan of the band when the old drummer remained. So they are a close nit group with like minds, they are the real deal. I think that is why they stand out along with having a great band and front man. Their songs speak to people and that is something that has lacked in rock music for a while.

BTW frank dracman it's The Black Parade not the last Parade.Wink

I got the chance to see them while visiting my dad in NJ. Back in 2002. I thought they were something to see, and then when I heard them on the radio I was shocked... but not really.Wink It's cool to say I saw them before the big explosion. I hate that they are put into the same category as some real crappy emo stuff. But most people don't know how to classify music and then you have people that should give them a listen not listening to them because they think they are a teeny bopper band. Let me assure you they are not.

As far as the comment on Gerardís voice, to each his own. I think he has a great rock voice, but not everyone is going to dig it, that is why we have different types of music.Wink Not everyone likes my voice either, but their are many that do and I still go out and rock. All though I am not on their level I so enjoy being a part of rock music, I can't imagine my life without it. And MCR is one of those bands that makes you want to keep going.
OK I'm finished. LOL
-MK

P.S.
Incase you didn't get it from the above novel....I am a fan!Wink
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

Tsotha-lanti wrote:
They'd be okay if it wasn't for their singer, I find his style somewhat annoying.

That's my biggest beef also. The music is good, be the singer comes off a little whiny, like he's ready to start crying. Granted the BLACK Parade (thanks wkileen) is the only album I've heard, so it might just be the mood of the record. But I guess that's the appeal for alot of the fans, the sensitive, angst-ridden rocker that just wants to be loved. I can't really tease or belittle anyone for their musical tastes, for I own every Tori Amos CD ever made. What can I say? She's soothing. And fucking hot.

Ministry to Tori. I got range, baby.
Texas Horror
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

I think Way has a great voice. Yes it is whiny at times. But most rock is. I saw I live performance of "Mama" on Fuse, and he sounds great live.

But then again, I'm a HUGE Pumpkins fan (whom I found out they also love, and openly pattern themselves after in certain ways), so if I like Billy's ultra whiny voice, then I can definatly deal with Gerard's.

And as wkileen said, I didn't realize you had to be a certain age or gender to like a certain band.

But fuck it. I love 'em. Read up on them on the net, and discovered that their base fans consider them to have sold out when they got big. Which is sad. I always look at that as jealousy that more and more people like them, and not just a couple dozen people.

Much like Green Day (whom I also love). They lost alot of their fans when they hit the big time.
wkileen
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

Texas Horror wrote:
I think Way has a great voice. Yes it is whiny at times. But most rock is. I saw I live performance of "Mama" on Fuse, and he sounds great live.

But then again, I'm a HUGE Pumpkins fan (whom I found out they also love, and openly pattern themselves after in certain ways), so if I like Billy's ultra whiny voice, then I can definatly deal with Gerard's.

And as wkileen said, I didn't realize you had to be a certain age or gender to like a certain band.

But fuck it. I love 'em. Read up on them on the net, and discovered that their base fans consider them to have sold out when they got big. Which is sad. I always look at that as jealousy that more and more people like them, and not just a couple dozen people.

Much like Green Day (whom I also love). They lost alot of their fans when they hit the big time.

Loyal little fuckers aren't they.LOL As was said, that is just human nature. If you're not known and struggling people love you, and as soon as you have any success you are labeled a sell out. But as was also said They gain a hell of allot more fans when they make it, just to add to the loyal fans that have been there all along.
Long story short, most people are wishy washy. Sad but true. And they would rather see someone fail than suceed.

And yes I think if you find out more about the people in a band you like them even more. These guys are great people, seem to really care about their fans and people in general. so add humanity with great music and it's a winner to me!!Wink A live show almost always makes all the difference in the world, once people see you live and like you they tend to stick with you! Anyway. MCR rocks!Wink
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

Texas Horror wrote:

My problem with his vocals aren't that they're whiny... I mean, I'm a Black Sabbath fan and if Ozzy's vocals aren't a nasal whine I don't know what is. It's just that Way, there's something about his delivery that makes him sound really goofy which I can't really describe in other ways than him trying way too hard to sound pissed off but just failing. Something about his performances sound a bit forced, even if I know they aren't.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

I dig MCR...but I can see them getting old fast.