FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> SHARK SWARM!
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:14 am  Reply with quote

Holy shit that's funny! Cum receptacle! Still me favorite of all time.

Now, where were we...
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:52 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Thoughts?

Keep in mind, this could easily be you on the other side of the writers' table, one day soon if you're good enough and lucky enough to break in somehow. I'm pulling for you. Hell, I'm sharing my own professional experience with you, aren't I.

Isn't this part of your future goal? Working professionally. That's an awesome and totally achievable goal. How might you feel, do you think, if you were the one on the other side? Would you try to at least explain the differences between the original idea you came up with, the various treatments, the numerous finished drafts, the changes during shooting, and the changes during editing. Would you smile at being called a "douchebag" for doing your job to your bosses exact specifications? Would explaining the truth of how it all works be defensive or merely instructive?

I've heard you often take the writer to task in some vicious ways when you have little or no idea of the particulars that made what you saw end up on screen. It's just this desperate cry of "but their name is on the credits" as an excuse. Of course, this is not to say there aren't sucky writers. Hell, there are tons upon tons of them. But it's not always as cut and dry, or as black and white as you might like it to be in order to make yourself feel validated in calling someone a douchebag and defending it to the best of your abilities. I think you felt the same way about Adam and Jace, too, if I remember correctly.

Just saying... Wink

Here comes the part where you call me a tool again, right? Just a reminder, this time keep my mom out of it, please. She's not the cum receptacle you once referred to her as. She's a cool lady. I know you graciously apologized for that little slip of the tongue, but my sensitive soul is still a bit wounded.

This is exactly why I wanted to know what was yours and what wasn't. I understand that you guys were doing your job as requested. Personally, because I haven't been in that situation, I would find it creatively frustrating to have to work around something as cliche as land developer dumping toxins into the water. But again, I have ZERO experience in this field so I lack the perspective. Which is why I wanted to know ... To get that some first hand knowledge of that perspective. I'm honestly not the biggest fan of screenwriting. I like it, but when I get stuck, because I am that "air tight" guy, I get frustrated, and then plug the whole quickly and then continue, thus being stuck with that explanation. Mind you, I've never written a script and changed it to the degree that you have...Again, perspective.

I'm curious as to why you brought this quote up, though. It almost seems like you WANT to argue with me.
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
I'm curious as to why you brought this quote up, though.

It was an example of you, in the past, personalizing and insulting the screenwriters of a film you hated, when in fact they were simply doing their jobs as I've described. I was merely providing food for further thought. At your expense, of course.

Not all screenwriters are going to be able to take the time to spell out for you what scenes belonged to them, what ideas were mandated by other, more powerful, people during the notes process, what changed during shooting, what changed during editing. At a certain point, if you want to be mature and intelligent about it, you've got to tone down the whole "they're a bunch of douchebags!" rhetoric.

You understood this when I explained our situation to you, but in the past you clearly haven't understood it very well. Or you just ignored it in favor of the easy judgmental put-downs. Either way, I quoted your own words back to you hoping that you might take a more realistic approach in the future.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:48 am  Reply with quote

Ultimo Franco wrote:
I'm curious as to why you brought this quote up, though.

It was an example of you, in the past, personalizing and insulting the screenwriters of a film you hated, when in fact they were simply doing their jobs as I've described. I was merely providing food for further thought. At your expense, of course.

Not all screenwriters are going to be able to take the time to spell out for you what scenes belonged to them, what ideas were mandated by other, more powerful, people during the notes process, what changed during shooting, what changed during editing. At a certain point, if you want to be mature and intelligent about it, you've got to tone down the whole "they're a bunch of douchebags!" rhetoric.

You understood this when I explained our situation to you, but in the past you clearly haven't understood it very well. Or you just ignored it in favor of the easy judgmental put-downs. Either way, I quoted your own words back to you hoping that you might take a more realistic approach in the future.

See, the thing is, and this might seem contentious, I don't need you to quote my words back to me. I recall very well the argument. Which is why I asked the question I asked. Because I wanted to know, first hand, not second hand, what went on. See, you can tell me that someone other than you may have experienced it, but you guys are much closer to the truth for me.

What I don't get, is why you feel the need to do anything "at my expense"?
The Gomorrahizer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:11 am  Reply with quote

Attention, Canadians: Shark Swarm is now in rotation on Allarco Entertainment Inc.'s Super Channel.

Super Channel: Shark Swarm pt. 1

Super Channel: Shark Swarm pt. 2
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:12 am  Reply with quote

See, you can tell me that someone other than you may have experienced it, but you guys are much closer to the truth for me.

Many people other than us have experienced it. It's simply part of the way the job works. There's no getting closer to the truth than that.

Take a look at what you're actually saying. The actual words. Other people may have experienced "it." The "it" you so vaguely refer to is the notes process. It's the treatment phase. It's the rewrite process. It's how movies with scripts are created. Unless you specifically hear otherwise, you can pretty much count on "it" being part of the process for most every professional screenwriter working. While I'm happy that you're interested in knowing first-hand what we went through on our movie, and am glad to share the story, part of the reason I'm telling you in such detail is because I want you to be able to imagine the same exact commonplace things happening to the next screenwriter you decide to refer to as a "douchebag."

Consider that a free life lesson boost added to your delicious screenplay-answer-smoothie. It was either that or a shot of wheatgerm.

Why you feel the need to do anything "at my expense"?

The nougat.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:05 am  Reply with quote

Ultimo Franco wrote:
See, you can tell me that someone other than you may have experienced it, but you guys are much closer to the truth for me.

Many people other than us have experienced it. It's simply part of the way the job works. There's no getting closer to the truth than that.

Take a look at what you're actually saying. The actual words. Other people may have experienced "it." The "it" you so vaguely refer to is the notes process. It's the treatment phase. It's the rewrite process. It's how movies with scripts are created. Unless you specifically hear otherwise, you can pretty much count on "it" being part of the process for most every professional screenwriter working. While I'm happy that you're interested in knowing first-hand what we went through on our movie, and am glad to share the story, part of the reason I'm telling you in such detail is because I want you to be able to imagine the same exact commonplace things happening to the next screenwriter you decide to refer to as a "douchebag."

Consider that a free life lesson boost added to your delicious screenplay-answer-smoothie. It was either that or a shot of wheatgerm.

Again, seeing as how I asked you my initial question, instead of damning you for the movie, should be enough to deduce that I have taken in that argument and am approaching my thinking differently.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:13 am  Reply with quote

I haven't seen Shark Swarm yet, but I saw something on NBC/Leno last night and I thought it might be your movie.
He showed a clip of an enormous shark coming out of the sea and eating an entire boat.
It looked like recent CGI graphics, and I can't think of any other shark movie out right now.
Was that a clip from your movie?
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

Nope. Not ours.
The Buz
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:03 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

That's from Shark Attack 3.
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:15 am  Reply with quote

I have taken in that argument and am approaching my thinking differently.

Thumbs Up

Any other questions?
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:23 am  Reply with quote

Ultimo Franco wrote:
I have taken in that argument and am approaching my thinking differently.

Thumbs Up

Any other questions?
Nah...Looking forward to your next project.
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:26 am  Reply with quote

Thanks. I hope you check out Ring Of Death, as I know you appreciate fight movies.
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:56 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Ring of Death rules.

^Obviously biased.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:24 am  Reply with quote

Ultimo Franco wrote:
Thanks. I hope you check out Ring Of Death, as I know you appreciate fight movies.

I haven't been keeping up...When is it on? Or how can I see it?