FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Rated Ex -> The Rapeman
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

Every time I think of this phenomenon part of me refuses to believes that it exists (I mean... a superhero who rapes female criminals, or in some incarnations just women who do amoral but perfectly legal things from cheating on husbands to just being bitchy? What the holy flying fuck?), but the clips I've seen from the short-lived anime on YouTube have proved me wrong even if those are the only first-hand exposure I've had to it. Really, the whole thing sounds like something whose entertainment value comes mostly from staring in disbelief that it actually exists... according to reviews on IMDB, the third (!) live-action DTV Rapeman movie starts with Rapes turning a lesbian straight by raping her, you'd think that would have the exact opposite effect on her. Confused Not sure if I'd actually pay full price for any of these, but they're probably worth watching for the "WTF?" factor alone if you aren't totally repelled by the premise.

There is one thing I find really bizarre about the whole Rapeman franchise which hasn't be addressed... if the manga was as unsuccessful as Wikipedia says (cancelled after 9 issues), then how the fuck did anyone get the idea for a live-action adaptation? Shame on you Ummmm.... And how did that one warrant four sequels if the comic book it was based upon never really caught on?
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!
Impure159
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:03 am  Reply with quote

I've seen a couple very short clips of this and thought it was one of those terrible like 45 minutes long anime movies, I never would have thought it would be a TV show AND live action movie. Everything about this is so ridiculous that it's exactly as you said you don't really get enjoyment out of it you just sit there and wonder how it could exist.
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:47 am  Reply with quote

Impure159 wrote:
I've seen a couple very short clips of this

Are they the two vlips of the anime (one with a "gag dub") that have found their way to YouTube?

Quote:
Everything about this is so ridiculous that it's exactly as you said you don't really get enjoyment out of it you just sit there and wonder how it could exist.

One thing is for certain: The pitch meeting for The Rapeman must have been morbidly hilarious and probably more entertaining than the movies themselves.
Impure159
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Tsotha-lanti wrote:
Impure159 wrote:
I've seen a couple very short clips of this

Are they the two vlips of the anime (one with a "gag dub") that have found their way to YouTube?

Quote:
Everything about this is so ridiculous that it's exactly as you said you don't really get enjoyment out of it you just sit there and wonder how it could exist.

One thing is for certain: The pitch meeting for The Rapeman must have been morbidly hilarious and probably more entertaining than the movies themselves.

Two of them are some subbed animated gifs I've found and another my friend showed me he had saved on his HD so I'm not sure.
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:49 am  Reply with quote

Have you also read this quite hilarious review of the first Rapeman live-action movie? You should, it really drives home the sheer monumental preposterousness of the whole concept of Rapeman.
Impure159
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

I have to say thats one of the best reviews I've read of any movie in a long while.. Oh and then theres this:

Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

I can't help but stare at that .gif in disbelief, not in the least because it looks like she is enjoying it. In terms of sheer WTF-ness, Rapeman must rival the scene in the live-action Transformers movie where Bumblebee takes a leak on a goofy MIB playing on a loop for over an hour. A Bumblebee who transforms into a sports car at that.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that the pitch meeting for this must have been morbidly hilarious. It probably went something like this...

WRITER: So I have this concept, it's for a superhero who - well, rapes female criminals in order to make them docile and peaceful women.

EXECUTIVE: (stares in disbelief) Are you kidding me?

WRITER: Not at all! I have even given him a moniker that sets home any doubts... (long dramatic pause) Rapeman!

EXECUTIVE: Why would you come up with such a wretched idea? Are you some sort of raging misogynist?

WRITER: Okay, it's not totally bad... (takes a pause while thinking deeply, at least staring at the ceiling to make it look that way) because this Rapeman dude, he just fights for, you know, the stability of the family and other wholesome things. See, he... (long pause) rapes these female criminals at the request of their victims and whatnot who pay him to do it... (takes an even longer pause as he makes shit up) and he donates all the profits to the orphanage he grows up. So, you see, Rapeman is not a bad person at all! He just wants to give neglected children a better future while enacting justice when everyone else is powerless to do something about it!

EXECUTIVE: Even if he gets these women out of the criminal lifestyle, he still does it by traumatizing them and wrecking them mentally for the rest of their lives! You are one sick person!

WRITER: No, I'm not... (takes another pause to think something up) you see, Rapeman does this for the women's best, so he rapes them in a way they actually end up enjoying!

EXECUTIVE: That's even more offensive.

WRITER: Wait a second, it's actually meant as a black comedy and will be pulled off that way! It's meant to be fun because it's offensive.

EXECUTIVE: Hmmm... that actually sounds quite awesome. A deal is a deal!

WRITER: Yabba-dabba-doo!
Foywonder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:59 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I picked up one of these RAPEMAN movies at a con almost a decade ago. Watched it purely out of morbid curiosity. Felt like I needed a shower afterwards. The Rapeman punishes evil women by raping them. Punishment, eh? So why did all the women act like they were getting the best fuck of their life? There's sleazy and then there's garbage like this.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

Tsotha-lanti wrote:
There is one thing I find really bizarre about the whole Rapeman franchise which hasn't be addressed... if the manga was as unsuccessful as Wikipedia says (cancelled after 9 issues), then how the fuck did anyone get the idea for a live-action adaptation?

Actually the RAPEMAN manga was pretty successful. That's why it lasted long enough to be later collected into 13 (!) paperback volumes, each volume being about 250 pages long. It wasn't a huge hit but but it did well enough within the niche market that is hentai publishing.
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:58 pm  Reply with quote

As far as I know, it also has a video game franchise in the land of the rising Sun. Wait, it could be that or "Battleraper"... oh what the hell, point is they have video games that have no other purpose than to have you stalk and rape chicks in abundance - - so movies, manga and anime aren't really all that far-fetched.

Now if I can only get my hand son "Muscle Workshop"...
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

Caterpillar wrote:
Tsotha-lanti wrote:
There is one thing I find really bizarre about the whole Rapeman franchise which hasn't be addressed... if the manga was as unsuccessful as Wikipedia says (cancelled after 9 issues), then how the fuck did anyone get the idea for a live-action adaptation?

Actually the RAPEMAN manga was pretty successful. That's why it lasted long enough to be later collected into 13 (!) paperback volumes, each volume being about 250 pages long. It wasn't a huge hit but but it did well enough within the niche market that is hentai publishing.

Thanks for clearing this up. Smile

I guess Wikipedia is being its good old unreliable self, then... Cool but this isn't that surprising, since most articles on Rapeman I've read say it's very popular in its home country.
BloodyLis
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

I've seen some clips and I thought that it's just a creation of some anime geek, then I see this thread and learned that it's a TV series or something and even a movie?! Oh, ok...

I think Rapeman is not actually want to punish, he's just a horny superhero.Hehe Smile
arandomthought
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:26 am  Reply with quote

I have one of the eps, it's wierd. I have to watch it every once in a while, just to remember that people are this wierd...I guess I'm morbidly curious even when I've seen it.
The Gomorrahizer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:55 am  Reply with quote

LOL! A bootleg release of The Rapeman series is being marketed as "The Japanese Dexter".
Krugrsgrl
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:20 pm  Reply with quote

I still haven't seen this but I love the idea. It's hot to me. I don't go out of my way to be politically incorrect, I just usually am. Or at least my eyeballs are.