FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> E3 2008
MagusMaleficus
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:33 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody keeping up with the news from this year's E3? The most exciting news for me this year was the announcement of Final Fantasy XIII for Xbox 360. That game made it hard for me to sell my PS3; now, I could care less that I did!
EvilRex
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:59 am  Reply with quote

I like the idea of Microsoft partnering up with Netflix. Tons of movies at my disposal to watch at any given time.

Plus, did you see the footage of Fallout 3 on X-play? Awesome shit.
MagusMaleficus
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:11 am  Reply with quote

EvilRex wrote:
I like the idea of Microsoft partnering up with Netflix. Tons of movies at my disposal to watch at any given time.

Plus, did you see the footage of Fallout 3 on X-play? Awesome shit.

Hell yeah I did. I hope that game gets me as addicted as I was to Oblivion (I pretty much already know it well, but I just can't help being a tiny bit cautious).
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:01 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Fallout 3 and Ghostbusters is gonna own me this year.

And Legends Of Wrestlemania might be interesting.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:34 am  Reply with quote

PWNE'D, Sony!

Not surprisingly PS3 owners are pissed!! But then I can kind of understand that. I bought a PS2 so I could get FF games on it, and I'm sure the title was a major hardware seller for the PS3.
conundrum
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

Now "God of War 3" is literally the ONLY reason I am slightly miffed about PS3 being the only system I do not own.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

conundrum wrote:
Now "God of War 3" is literally the ONLY reason I am slightly miffed about PS3 being the only system I do not own.

God of War 3 is going to have to be REALLY good. The last one was a little too much of the same for my tastes. The Netflix is pretty cool, as we have the 360 hooked up to the big TV and I'd rather watch them on that than a computer screen.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

There's no way GoW won't be amazing, regardless of new gameplay mechanics or not. It's just a fun game to play.

Resistance 2 looks just about the same as before, but just with a North American setting and some bigger/faster enemies. Give us some flying vehicles this time and more churches in multi-player to piss off the religious nuts.

PS3 owners pissed about FF going multi-platform? Boo hoo. The only thing I am pissed about is my PS3 is becoming a 360 lite. If you're going to copy features from another console, at least improve on them.

From what I've been hearing, the Wii has been the biggest disappointment at E3. The gimmick and lack of quality titles that don't have Mario or Link in the mix are finally catching up to it, I believe.

The new UI for the 360 looks bad ass and borrows heavily from Apple's cover flow system. A rip-off for sure, but a welcome change from the blades system. Incorporating Netflix is also another winner as long as its November release means the current library of available streaming titles increases greatly.

MS's biggest amount of Lulz came from the whole "we created cute custom avatars" bs. They're playing some arrogant Sony cards here, but at least MS is improving where Nintendo left off. "1 vs 100" is going to be huge! Having your avatar right there on the front of the interface along with your friends avatars really takes it a step up from the buried Miis on the Wii.

If Nintendo would ditch the "friend code" bullshit and make the Wii's online capabilities more communal, it'd be a bigger winner with those of us who've gotten bored of Wii Spots.
MagusMaleficus
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Kryten Syxx wrote:
The new UI for the 360 looks bad ass and borrows heavily from Apple's cover flow system. A rip-off for sure, but a welcome change from the blades system.

I'm with you on the new UI. I fuckin' love it. I wish Microsoft redesigned the damn thing sooner--I never cared much for the blades. I'm not sure what to think of the new avatars, though... I don't dislike them, I'm just sort of indifferent for now. Here's hoping the customization options blow me away.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:02 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Xbox Live UI remake? Awesome, but one question: what about themes? I've paid a pretty good amount of money for themes (yes, I know, I'm part of the problem) and now it looks like they're just heaved right out the window.

Avatars? Awesome. Making Miis is a hell of a lot of fun...until you realize that unless you have friends over to play, nobody else will probably ever see them. This way? As long as they keep customization options coming we're good to go. I noticed Rare is doing the avatars, that's a good sign.

Netflix? Double fucking chocolate fudge with cherries and fried gold on top awesome. Hate watching movies on my PC, have almost half of my queue sitting there with 'play now' next to them and never use it. Now? Daily. Guaranteed.

Sony? Who gives a damn. Dropping to $399 for their basic system? Wow, they're now within $100 of the Xbox! With a worse selection of games, a MUCH worse online/DLC offering, and so far no real noticeable improvement over 360's graphics! Man, sign me up, -that- is a bargain. Oh, and if anyone says 'but it plays blu-ray' I will kick you square in the junk.

Nintendo? What we have is an issue of 'build it and they will come' being transferred to 'don't build it and they STILL come'. Almost a million systems a month? Why try? They don't have the MS or Sony issue: they MAKE money selling systems. As long as they sell at this rate, why work hard for better games? Eventually the sales will slow, and people will start wanting games. Hopefully they'll wake up and smell the silicon by then.

Games: Too Human kicks a great deal of ass, the demo on XBL rocked me hard. It's the first game I'll say is really a Diablo killer. It's a fully-realized, 3-D, deep story Diablo with a vastly deeper yet just as easy combat system. Past that, the expected list: RE5, Fatal Fram IV, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, yadda yadda.

Music games: My excitement level for Guitar Hero 4 just spiked when they announced today that they'll support Rock Band instruments. Had no interest prior, no matter how neat their drum kit looks. The GH3 Les Paul controller has me permanently singed on post-Harmonix hardware. Love my Hrmonix strat, keep losing my Les Paul red button thanks to the dumbass detachable neck design. GH4 will get a purchase without instruments, RB2 may get a purchase with upgraded instruments, and Lips...well, if Lips has songs other than the asshappy crap they play in the videos I've seen, I may grab it as well. I like shiny blinky mics, apparently.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Xbox Live UI remake? Awesome, but one question: what about themes? I've paid a pretty good amount of money for themes (yes, I know, I'm part of the problem) and now it looks like they're just heaved right out the window.

Avatars? Awesome. Making Miis is a hell of a lot of fun...until you realize that unless you have friends over to play, nobody else will probably ever see them. This way? As long as they keep customization options coming we're good to go. I noticed Rare is doing the avatars, that's a good sign.

Netflix? Double fucking chocolate fudge with cherries and fried gold on top awesome. Hate watching movies on my PC, have almost half of my queue sitting there with 'play now' next to them and never use it. Now? Daily. Guaranteed.

Sony? Who gives a damn. Dropping to $399 for their basic system? Wow, they're now within $100 of the Xbox! With a worse selection of games, a MUCH worse online/DLC offering, and so far no real noticeable improvement over 360's graphics! Man, sign me up, -that- is a bargain. Oh, and if anyone says 'but it plays blu-ray' I will kick you square in the junk.

Nintendo? What we have is an issue of 'build it and they will come' being transferred to 'don't build it and they STILL come'. Almost a million systems a month? Why try? They don't have the MS or Sony issue: they MAKE money selling systems. As long as they sell at this rate, why work hard for better games? Eventually the sales will slow, and people will start wanting games. Hopefully they'll wake up and smell the silicon by then.

Games: Too Human kicks a great deal of ass, the demo on XBL rocked me hard. It's the first game I'll say is really a Diablo killer. It's a fully-realized, 3-D, deep story Diablo with a vastly deeper yet just as easy combat system. Past that, the expected list: RE5, Fatal Fram IV, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, yadda yadda.

Music games: My excitement level for Guitar Hero 4 just spiked when they announced today that they'll support Rock Band instruments. Had no interest prior, no matter how neat their drum kit looks. The GH3 Les Paul controller has me permanently singed on post-Harmonix hardware. Love my Hrmonix strat, keep losing my Les Paul red button thanks to the dumbass detachable neck design. GH4 will get a purchase without instruments, RB2 may get a purchase with upgraded instruments, and Lips...well, if Lips has songs other than the asshappy crap they play in the videos I've seen, I may grab it as well. I like shiny blinky mics, apparently.

Head on over to Team XBOX. They have info on how your themes will work with the new UI.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:15 am  Reply with quote

Did they say what the target date for the new UI and Avatars are?

I like them, but I'm still getting used to the current system.

Also, I'll say this. E3 feels like it's lumbering to it's extinction. I remember being really excited for E3 for many years when it hit big. Now, it feels like we're not getting the best stuff then, and almost no surprises, and it's embarrassing to watch some of these scripted, cheesy presentations.

I will say this, and this is something probably no one will cop to...I thought "You're In The Movies" looked fun as all hell.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:42 am  Reply with quote

Cannot wait for Fallout.
MagusMaleficus
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:25 am  Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:
Did they say what the target date for the new UI and Avatars are?

I gather that this stuff will be the bulk of the annual Fall Update.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

Spaceshark wrote:
Cannot wait for Fallout.

Me too. That and Ghostbusters are going to own me this year.