FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Sony has lost over $3 billion on the PS3
Sirand
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:31 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/sony-has-lost-over-3-billion-on-the-ps3/1223467
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

And for the past year nobody believed me when I predicted the exact same thing.
MagusMaleficus
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:18 am  Reply with quote

To be fair, all console manufacturers lose money on each console sold, for a time anyway. The Xbox 360 only recently became profitable for Microsoft. With the monthly increase in PS3 sales, I'm sure Sony will see a recuperation on their losses in the near future.

And this comment comes from a man who sold his PS3 for a Wii.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

I'd still love to get my hands on a PS3.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:39 pm  Reply with quote

From XBOX.com-
Quote:
Blockbusters: Final Fantasy XIII will be available on Xbox 360 at launch in North America and Europe. Xbox 360 is the only place to play the year's biggest games, such as Gears of WarŽ 2, Resident Evil 5, FableŽ II, and exclusive Grand Theft Auto IV episodes.

What the hell? Resident Evil 5 360 only? Is Xbox lying to us? FFXIII on both platforms? Didn't see that coming. I love my PS2, but the only reason I got a 360 was because it was cheaper. Glad I did, now I get Dead Rising, Fable 2 and FFXIII.
MagusMaleficus
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:12 am  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
From XBOX.com-
Quote:
Blockbusters: Final Fantasy XIII will be available on Xbox 360 at launch in North America and Europe. Xbox 360 is the only place to play the year's biggest games, such as Gears of WarŽ 2, Resident Evil 5, FableŽ II, and exclusive Grand Theft Auto IV episodes.

What the hell? Resident Evil 5 360 only? Is Xbox lying to us? FFXIII on both platforms? Didn't see that coming. I love my PS2, but the only reason I got a 360 was because it was cheaper. Glad I did, now I get Dead Rising, Fable 2 and FFXIII.

I believe RE 5 is a timed exclusive, meaning it will come to the PS3 anywhere from six months to a year after it hits the 360.
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:23 am  Reply with quote

And PS3 fanboys are pissed! But then I can kind of understand that. I bought a PS2 so I could get FF games on it, and I'm sure this upcoming title was a major hardware seller for the PS3.

Seriously, apart from having the only full-spec Blu-Ray player available right now, what reason is there to own a PS3?
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:51 am  Reply with quote

I pray to the heavens that God of War III will make the PS3 worth it.

I mean, both RE5 and FFXIII used to be part of Sony's big guns, but now, hoorah, I get to kill not-zombie Africans and go emo for far fucking cheaper. Poor Sony.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:28 am  Reply with quote

Poor Sony is right. What do they have? Uncharted? MGS4? Lair? Good games, but nothing to make me buy a system over. Then again, I don't have Halo or GoW either. But I'll tell you what I do have: KotoR, Jade Empire, Fable, Doom 3, Crimson Skies and Ninja Gaiden. Never had a Xbox, so the backwards compatability sold me. Sad thing is, PS3 is the more powerfull machine, yet literally nobody I know has one. If they did, I'd be there playing Resistance. Hear that's a good one. Oh well, the Wii will dominate all with it's shovelware and kiddie games.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:02 am  Reply with quote

But they have MGS ... the 10 hour game with 2 hours of gameplay!
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:20 am  Reply with quote

Kryten Syxx wrote:

It's not really that bad, is it?
And how did you like Too Human? I though it was kinda cool, but feels weird not controlling the camera with the RS. I'll have to get used to it, since it's the only Diablo type game on 360. No, I'm not counting Marvel UA or that GODAWFUL Kingdom Under Fire.
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:45 am  Reply with quote

SNAAAAAAAAAAKEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
Kryten Syxx wrote:

It's not really that bad, is it?
And how did you like Too Human? I though it was kinda cool, but feels weird not controlling the camera with the RS. I'll have to get used to it, since it's the only Diablo type game on 360. No, I'm not counting Marvel UA or that GODAWFUL Kingdom Under Fire.

Yeah, it IS that bad. One cut scene alone was 1.5 hours. You, honestly, spend more time watching movies than playing the game.

Even when you do get to play, all you have to do to progress through a level is just run! How it keeps getting these perfect scores amazes me.
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

The MGS series started to lose me at the second one, to be honest. There's only so much passive watching of ten minute exposition-laden cut scenes before you want to actually... I don't know, do something!

FFX pissed me off for the same reason. I played that game for 2 days straight and never lost the feeling that I was being lead around by the nose.
The Buz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:47 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

http://ffxiii360.ytmnd.com/