FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Achievement Whores
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:47 am  Reply with quote

I've always just seen 'em as bragging rights. And I love to brag. Perfect fit.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:23 am  Reply with quote

Spaceshark wrote:
Yeah, GoW isn't exactly known for its dramatic narrative, hehe. Some dude from the dev team for the sequel actually said that they're gonna make a story that's more compelling than Bioshock's. Fuck the what. Dollars to donuts he's gonna have to shove his foot in his mouth.

Holy shit that's funny!
Hey, if they pull it off, great. But upon reading that I did an audible "PPPHHFFTTT"!
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

"if they pull it off, great"? Dude, IT WILL NEVER FUCKING HAPPEN!!! Razz
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:23 am  Reply with quote

oh I'm a whore alright...and I like getting achievements too Very Happy
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:
I'd be more into Achievements if they translated into points, y'know? I like the idea of it, but a physical reward for accomplishment would be nice.
Guess you weren't big on arcades growing up?

I wouldn't say I'm a "whore"-I won't get Avatar just for the points...Every single point I have I've done it playing a game I genuinely wanted to play. And that being said, I rarely go through and replay games just to get points. Once is enough. Except for the co-op games. It's not as much a pain, playing it through with buddies.

I will, however, get a cross platform game on 360 merely because I want the OPTION of getting achievements.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

So I rented TMNT a couple days ago just for the easy achievements. There I was, playing through level 4 when the voices started again. "Frank, dude, what the hell are you doing? Ninja Turtles? Seriously? Look at all the old Xbox games on the shelf. You never even finished KotOR. Why are you playing a lame kids game anyway? For points you can't do anything with? Come on man, let's play some games!"

You know what? Herbert is right. Lately I've been trying to complete games 100% just so my score is bigger. Finishing on the hardest difficulty, finding every star/bolt/whatever, doing some insane fighting combo when I can finish the game without ever doing it and so on. I wasted an hour trying to shoot down asteroids in Dead Space.Why? It doesn't affect the game at all. For 10 stinking points? Time to rethink this whole achievement thing.

I look over at the guy at the urinal next to me. I see he's got a mighty 37470 GS while I got a tiny, shriveled, flaccid 17000. Does that make him better than me? Or does he just have more free time? He may play games he knows will give him fast, easy achievements regardless of if the game is even fun or not. I came to the realization that I spend too much time trying to get that last achievement instead of just moving on to a new game.
No more! From now on I'll play a game until I feel it's time to move on. I will no longer be a slave to the achievements or worrying that xXxhalokidzXxX has a bigger, stronger, uh....gamerscore than I do.

Free at last! Free at last! Thank Master Chief almighty, free at last!
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:29 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I try to balance. I look for low-hanging fruit. If I enjoy playing a game, then I'll enjoy taking a few extra steps to score a few easy achievements. Fallout 3 is a perfect example of that. I'm going back through the game again very soon, and I'm creating the character a specific way because it'll get me some extra achievements. Doesn't cost me anything, just as fun this way as another, so why not?

Then there are the TMNT's of the world. I played it, but I didn't milk every achievement. why? It wasn't fun. Why do something unpleasant? Life is too short.

Oh, and I'll have you know that my gamerscore is NOT tiny or shriveled...18400 is perfectly NORMAL, I'll have you now! Besides, it's not the score, it's what games you played to earn it...
Pestilence
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:06 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'm ashamed to say that I rented "Avatar : The last Airbender - The Burning Earth" just to reap the almost instant 1000 gamerpoints.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:48 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Pestilence wrote:
I'm ashamed to say that I rented "Avatar : The last Airbender - The Burning Earth" just to reap the almost instant 1000 gamerpoints.

Sure, I mean, why not? It takes two minutes. If it'd taken longer, though, I wouldn't have messed with it. I'm not that damn desperate.
STR8EVIL
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:51 am  Reply with quote

I don't play games specifically to get points, but sometimes they might convince me to play a game a bit longer or to replay a level here and there. I actually like the Gears 2 achievments. You can get a nice number of them just playing through the game, the rest by either replaying, going online, playing a different mode, etc...They use achievments to entice you to try out a feature you may not have otherwise. I know other games do this as well, but Gears is the first one that worked to get me to try things.

I did play TMNT and got all but one achievment. I thought the game was very bland, but made myself finish it. Now whenever I think about playing a game for points, I remember TMNT and regain my senses.
Kyle.Voorhees
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:38 am  Reply with quote

I am a complete and utter achievement whore. Sometimes I will go out of my way to get the points (TMNT, Avatar, NBA 2K6) while others I actually enjoy playing the game to get the points (BioShock, GOW2) so I know where you guys are coming from. Hell, I am coming up on 35,000 gamerscore.