FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Achievement Whores
MagusMaleficus
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

So, how many of you fiends with 360s are achievement whores? Until recently, I merely liked achievements, but didn't go out of my way to get the majority of them. Now, I'm addicted to them. The funny thing is this: I'm not really achieving anything. Microsoft rarely hosts any official achievement contests in which prizes can be won, so achievements are for nothing more than bragging rights (except for those few-and-far-between gaming sites that host their own independent achievement contests). So, why do we bother?

I'd like to hear from those of you that, like me, go out of your way to earn as many achievements as possible, sometimes in games you might not otherwise play. Why do you do it?
EvilRex
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

For me it adds replay value.

For instance, it gave me a reason to go back and replay BioShock on the hard difficulty and try to kill every little sister instead of saving each one.

It'd be cool, though, if achievements led to something tangible like credits.
Impure159
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

My friends brother will not stop playing a game until he gets every achievement no matter what it is, the thing is it's not like he'll take a month and just do this when he has extra time. Within I believe it was 72 hours of buying GTA 4 he had every achievement in the game.

I'm pretty much the exact opposite, I don't worry about them, they're meaningless to me, maybe if there was a reason to them I'd care but as it stands they're just bragging rights for people with too much time/no life*.

* No offense to anyone on these boards of course Mr. Green
MagusMaleficus
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

Impure159 wrote:
My friends brother will not stop playing a game until he gets every achievement no matter what it is, the thing is it's not like he'll take a month and just do this when he has extra time. Within I believe it was 72 hours of buying GTA 4 he had every achievement in the game.

I'm pretty much the exact opposite, I don't worry about them, they're meaningless to me, maybe if there was a reason to them I'd care but as it stands they're just bragging rights for people with too much time/no life*.

* No offense to anyone on these boards of course Mr. Green

I guess I'm an anomaly of sorts, in that I love playing games and getting achievements (not in the same insane way as your friend's brother, though), but still find the time to read, write, hang out with friends, etc. -- all aside from work and school obligations. Mind you, I don't sleep much, but I seem to get by just fine with naught but three or four hours of sleep a night.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:00 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I am definitely an achievement whore, in that I have rented and played games specifically for the easy achievements. (coughairbendercoughTMNTwheeze)

However, I only go so far out of my way when playing a game to hit the achievements. I'm not going to spend hours doing something I'm not enjoying for achievements. On some games, like Oblivion, I'm not even looking at the achievements, I take them as they come. Bioshock is a good example of just playing the game and only looking at the achievements once I was nearly done, to see if I'd missed any simple ones. Assassin's Creed is an example of one with 'easy' achievements (flag collecting) that just aren't worth the time involved. Yes, just running around finding flags is easy, but monotonous, and no achievement points are worth the drudgery.

Lastly, I'm not that big of a multiplayer guy, so I generally give multiplayer points a miss. The exception are really easy ones, like Burnout Revenge and Paradise where all you have to do is show up and collect a number of achievements within minutes. Anything that requires massive online kills or victories...ah, screw that. Not worth the trouble.

As for why? I came up during the initial wave of arcade games. Yes, I have played Pong in and arcade for a quarter. I was playing games from when I needed a little step stool to reach the controls. I can go through something like Gametaps arcade archives and have a hard time finding something I didn't dump quarters into at one point. So the concept of 'high score' does mean something to me. Putting up those big three initials on a game was a big deal back then, even though now there's always some uber-geek who spends every waking hour on whatever game you're playing that results in a completely out of reach high score. Achievement points? Well, you're limited, right? You can be amazing or you can suck, but all you can get out of one game is 1000 or so points. It's just a matter of how many games you play, rather than how good you are at X game. That's cool, as even casual stuff on XBLA can gain you points the same way as Ultimate Mortal Combat.

To anyone who 'disses' achievement whores, dude, we aren't cheating. We're playing the games and gaining the points honestly. Is Airbender completely ridiculously easy when it comes to achievement points? Oh hell yes. Not my decision, though, so I take no blame. I spent my 120 seconds and walked away with my 1000 points. You're free to do the same. Smile
MagusMaleficus
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:14 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Is Airbender completely ridiculously easy when it comes to achievement points? Oh hell yes. Not my decision, though, so I take no blame. I spent my 120 seconds and walked away with my 1000 points. You're free to do the same. Smile

Speaking of which... I need to put that on my Gamefly GameQ.
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:06 am  Reply with quote

I am an achievement whore. Why? Because I have OCD.
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:55 am  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

Count me in! I LOVE getting them.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:34 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

MagusMaleficus wrote:
Mr. Dark wrote:
Is Airbender completely ridiculously easy when it comes to achievement points? Oh hell yes. Not my decision, though, so I take no blame. I spent my 120 seconds and walked away with my 1000 points. You're free to do the same. Smile

Speaking of which... I need to put that on my Gamefly GameQ.

It's the best two minutes you'll spend on your 360, man.

Madden 06 is another fertile field, although you'll dedicate a good 3-4 hours to get the motherlode there, the big 300 point 30 years franchise achievement.

People keep saying TMNT is a good choice, but it wasn't quick, and certainly wasn't painless. The CSI game is good if you like that sort of game (I do, so I enjoyed it) as just playing through gets you all 1000 points. Oh, and the new Soul Calibur game on XBLA is a fertile field. Changing the settings to Easy, infinite round time, and single round fights (the old trick I use to unlock all the characters when I get a new SC game) allows you to pull in several achievements within the first 5 minute playthrough in arcade mode. The rest are easily done with just a little more time spent. Sure, it's only the XBLA standard 12 achievements, but the game rocks and it's only $10.

The big games I recommend are Oblivion and Bioshock. You don't require much skill or effort to gain all or most of the AP's in either title, but you do have to complete the games. In both cases, it's well worth it. This is especially true in Oblivion's case. If you like that kind of game, it's very easy to milk all of the achievements out of it. Finish all quests for the various guilds as well as the main quest and you're the proud owner of 1000 points. Bioshock is a little more involved, but over 800 are low-hanging fruit and it just happens to be the best game of all time.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

I'm nearing 10,000 points and pretty excited about it. I would "cheat" and get what I need out of that Airbender game, but nobody rents it near me. I'm definatly with Dark here, I can't stand those "100 headshots" type of achievements. Not worth the time, and I hardly ever play FPS online, too many douchebags. So just like my teenage years, you'll find me playing alone and by myself. I do see UNO is played quite a bit, might have to download that one.
Jumper, as bad as it is, is 500 points in about 2 hours. You might be able to get more, but I couldn't take it any longer.
MagusMaleficus
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Oh, and the new Soul Calibur game on XBLA is a fertile field. Changing the settings to Easy, infinite round time, and single round fights (the old trick I use to unlock all the characters when I get a new SC game) allows you to pull in several achievements within the first 5 minute playthrough in arcade mode. The rest are easily done with just a little more time spent. Sure, it's only the XBLA standard 12 achievements, but the game rocks and it's only $10.

I actually bought Soul Calibur on XBL a couple days ago based on what I read in its achievement guide in the Achieve360points.com forums. Said forums also directed me to some ridiculously easy (pretty much cheating by exploiting a few glitches) points in Guitar Hero III.
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:19 am  Reply with quote

Dark's right with Oblivion and Bioshock, but it's best not to play them with achievements in mind (the latter especially).

Gears of War 2 can't get here soon enough.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:09 am  Reply with quote

Spaceshark wrote:
Dark's right with Oblivion and Bioshock, but it's best not to play them with achievements in mind (the latter especially).

Gears of War 2 can't get here soon enough.

Do I have permission to play the part of the raving lunatic Halo fan? OK!
Dude, GoW2 suckz azz i play halo get 700 killz im a murderring mofoz 1337!! n00bz LOL!!!1
Man, I've always wanted to do that.
To be honest, I like Gears a little better than Halo, but I don't own any of them. What's you tag? I might rent it and give it a try online. The single player mode, while pretty, was too short and (keeping in mind Winback) not all that original IMO.
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:42 am  Reply with quote

Mever played Halo, watched my bro play it but I was like, Master Chief is prolly just some zit-faced skinhead freak under all that body armor. Plus everyone was hopping around like bunnies on meth.

Yeah, GoW isn't exactly known for its dramatic narrative, hehe. Some dude from the dev team for the sequel actually said that they're gonna make a story that's more compelling than Bioshock's. Fuck the what. Dollars to donuts he's gonna have to shove his foot in his mouth.

And I don't have Xbox Live, sorry man. It's not exactly a feature for us...eh, how do I say this with tact...bootleggers. It's a third world thing.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:32 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

I'd be more into Achievements if they translated into points, y'know? I like the idea of it, but a physical reward for accomplishment would be nice.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell