FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Just passed 62,000 words
Sifu Scott
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:01 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Nipples

on my new book and still going strong. That's around 300 pages, and I ain't done yet! I've got about another 20,000 words to go before I can call this one ready for a first-edit.

Just had to share. I'm insanely happy over it. This is the longest book I've written so far.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

Congrats.

I'm currently embroiled in a novel myself. 255 pages and over 100 thousand words. Going quite well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sifu Scott
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:22 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Nipples

You must be single-spacing...
Good luck with yours as well!
alien_nation
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

how do you even write 62000 words without becoming bored and are like damn i've only written 12 pages and i've bene here for like 5hrs.
Sifu Scott
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:01 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Nipples

It's just something we do. I write 1000 words a day, and I know other people who write up to 5000 a day. Of course, they're full-time writers, and I still have a "day job," but you get the idea. You just have to make the consious decision to do it.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

alien_nation wrote:
how do you even write 62000 words without becoming bored and are like damn i've only written 12 pages and i've bene here for like 5hrs.

Well, that's the difference between a writer and a person.

We don't get bored and we don't say "I wrote 12 pages and it's only been 5 hours", we think "Out of those 12 pages, did I get my point across, is that action logical, was that suspenseful, what did that mean, is this any good?" and we'll take another five hours to re-read those twelve pages over and over until we're comfortable.

That's a writer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JamesN
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

Also, a writer has to himself, "If this is boring ME, and I'M not having fun with it . . . how do I expect the reader to be interested in what I'm doing?"

Which, of course, is not to say that it's always 100% fun. Sometimes writing is hard (especially, as Scott said, when you have that pesky "day job" getting in the way). But ultimately, you've got to love what you do. You've got to WANT to write. As if you have no choice but to get the story out of your head so others can one day read it . . . .

J.N.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
alien_nation
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:52 am  Reply with quote

when you guys were first starting out you must of make so many grammar errors and all shorts of things that just didn't fit in, and you later learned how to change these grammar errors. i wrote a novel called hospital and there's no replies to it yet.
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:54 am  Reply with quote

alien_nation wrote:
when you guys were first starting out you must of make so many grammar errors and all shorts of things that just didn't fit in, and you later learned how to change these grammar errors. i wrote a novel called hospital and there's no replies to it yet.

Well, that's what Microsoft Word is for.

Last edited by Terminal on Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:55 am  Reply with quote

alien_nation wrote:

You sent it to publishers? I think that takes a while.

Oh you meant the Hospital post on here. That's only about 8 pages. I'd classify it more as a short story.
Sifu Scott
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:19 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Nipples

alien_nation wrote:

Of course we did, and still do. That's what the rewrite period is for. See, just like everyone else, we are guilty of typos, poor grammar, spelling errors, etc. Once a manuscript is finished (the first draft anyway), I put mine down for about a month so I can look at it from a fresh perspective, then I go back and edit it. I also have a "first reader" who goes through it and makes certain there are no major plot holes, etc.

Only after it goes through this process a few times does it go out to a publisher. Then it's the waiting game.
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:27 am  Reply with quote

Sifu Scott wrote:
alien_nation wrote:

Of course we did, and still do. That's what the rewrite period is for. See, just like everyone else, we are guilty of typos, poor grammar, spelling errors, etc. Once a manuscript is finished (the first draft anyway), I put mine down for about a month so I can look at it from a fresh perspective, then I go back and edit it. I also have a "first reader" who goes through it and makes certain there are no major plot holes, etc.

Only after it goes through this process a few times does it go out to a publisher. Then it's the waiting game.

I just write it, then go back over it about ten or fifteen, maybe thirty times, and I continue going over it again and again, then I add stuff or take out any unnecessary bits.
Sifu Scott
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:30 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Nipples

And, as this so clearly illustrates, everyone's writing process is different. No one's is better than anothers, just different.
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:34 am  Reply with quote

Sifu Scott wrote:
And, as this so clearly illustrates, everyone's writing process is different. No one's is better than anothers, just different.

Like finger prints.

It's whatever works for the writer, there's no manual you can follow.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:45 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I handwrote a 300 page romance novel in high school. I actually have it typed as well.... it's somewhere near 420 pages and all disjointed due to rewriting.It will more than likely never see the light of day. Laughing

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca