FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> The Plucker
Rob
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone else read this? I got a hold of it last night and found it to be a wonderful read. The story is dark and the illustrations that accompany the pages are as equally sinister.

Basically, the plot centers around a jack in the box named, well, Jack, who's coming to grips on what all toys will eventually deal with: their owners grow up and they're left behind. But that's the least of his problems, as the boy's father brings back a doll from Africa that's used to trap evil spirits. The doll breaks, and the spirit, the Plucker, is free, and when night falls, it begins unleashing its dark magic, summoning disturbing looking monsters to aid him in his mission to drive out the boy's soul and use his body as its vessel, and it's up to Jack, a few other toys, and the boy's babysitter (who knows a thing or two about voodoo herself) to stop him. Won't be easy, since the toys get targeted first, mutilated and devoured by the various beasts.

It's 160 pages, give or take, and it moves at a great pace, and is definitely worth another look.'

And I read that a movie's in the works, which makes me a little nervous. I just really, really hope they don't try to make it more kid-friendly, because this book is not kid friendly. But I guess time will tell on the movie. For now though, pick up the book, it's definitely worth a read.

And some images