FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Return To The Splatterhouse
The One and Only
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:52 am  Reply with quote

From Electronic Gaming Monthly, (http://kotaku.com/382837/splatterhouse-returns).SPLATTERHOUSE, the classic ,horror themed video game has like many a horror star, has returned. This time to the Nintendo Wii. Breakin' Splatterhouse told the tale of two college students who majored in parapsychology, Rick Taylor and the love of his life, Jennifer. Who decide to explore the infamous West Mansion. Home to a renowned parapyschologist by the name of Dr. West, who disappeared under mysterious circumstances. Sad , and now supposedly the center of several unexplained , supposedly supernatural phenomena. Shortly after entering the house, the lights go out, Rick hears Jennifer scream, and is knocked unconscious. ECW! ECW! ECW! . Upon awaking, Rick finds an ancient Aztec mask, known as the Terror Mask now on his face. Unable to remove it, Rick hears a voice from the cursed object that tells him that his girl has been siezed by the monsters that haunt the domicile, and he must save he. Thanks to the Terror Mask, Rick finds himself course with a supernatural strength that enables him to fight the many abominations that run wild through the West Mansion. Also along the way he finds many weapons reading to help in his fight. 2 X 4's. Holy water. Chainsaws. Incoming mail! And the prefered weapon of Tom Atkins Thrill me! , the 12 gauge shotgun. No, say hello to MY little friend!

The game spawned two sequels, and about two years ago Namco released a compilation of the three games. Many a horror gaming fan has been awaiting a return of Rick ,the Terror Mask, and the West Mansion. And tankfully it looks like we'll be getting our wish. You did it!

For those of you not in the know about Splatterhouse, check this wonderful little website to answer your questions.http://splatterhouse.classicgaming.gamespy.com/index.html
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:52 am  Reply with quote

Ah, my favorite TG16/Arcade game will be brought back! I can already hear the complaints rolling in about it being too violent.
NeoKefka
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

It better have that freaky skinless guy with the chainsaw hands.
Pestilence
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:29 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Fucking awesome. Can't wait for this. Splatterhouse 2 is one of the games I played right through most regularly on the Sega Megadrive (Genesis).
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:47 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

I can't wait for this game.

Can-not-wait.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Blockbuster
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

I actually broke out Splatterhouse 2 and 3 last night, just to remember...damn that was FUN.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:09 am  Reply with quote

I just can't imagine what Splatterhouse is gonna look like on a next-get system. All I can think of is a combination of RE4's camera system, and Condemned's creepiness.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

damn, now I'm gonna have to get a Wii, heh
NeoKefka
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

Hey guys, just got the new issue of EGM in the mail and checked out the article on the new Splatterhouse game coming out and I’d figure I’d post the gist of it here:

- It’s a remake of sort. Set up is basically the same as the original with Rick and Jennifer as students of “necrobiology” at Miskatonic university, being taught by Dr. West. Jennifer gets kidnapped by monsters, who maul Rick and leave him for dead. As he crawls around dying, he finds the mask, which offers him the power to fight the monsters and save Jennifer. It turns out Dr. West is the one behind the monsters (called the Corrupted) who are entering our world through portals scattered throughout the globe.

- Bottlerocket games, the design team, are drawing heavily on Lovecraft & 80’s splatter flicks for inspiration.

- Rick pretty much looks like Mutant Rick from Splatterhouse 3 and even has the same “tentacles shooting out of him” super attack, along with an ability to go all berserker on his enemies, where he’s a lot more powerful but harder to control. He also has the ability to raise dead enemies to fight along side him for a brief period.

- Rick’s health is measured in physical damage that appears on his body. As he takes damage, chunks of skin and flesh will come off, exposing muscle and bone and he can even lose limbs. However, Rick has a regenerating health system similar to Halo. The more damage he takes however, the slower the overall rate of regeneration is.

- Many objects in the game are destructable and special environmental kills are possible.

- Classic weapons like the 2x4, cleaver & shotgun are back. Rick can also rip off enemy’s limbs and heads as use them as weapons.

- Levels revealed so far include Dr. West’s estate, a shanty town & train, a haunted carnival in a bayou and a hidden Nazi ship harbor that’s been frozen over, complete with frozen Nazi zombies.

- The game will have jumping segements that are connected by what the developer describes as jump nodes, points where you’ll automatically jump from one point to the next, though there will be room vor failure. An example given was a segment in the shanty town area, where Rick has to swing from one “jump node”!to the next while creatures below him try to knock him off.

- Bosses revealed include: Biggy Man, the guy with the chainsaw hands from the original. Clawface, a huge monster that’s almost entirely one giant mouth on legs (think William Birkin’s dog-like form from Resident Evil 2) and whose weak points are puss sacks on the side of its head. Robo-Ape, Dr. West's bodyguard. There is also a major God of War II style boss battle against a giant burning Wicker Man that plays out similar to Shadow of Colossus, with you having to climb up this thing to strike at its weak point. No word on a Nicholas Cage cameo.

- 2,000AD writer Gordan Rennie will be working on the game’s script and Simon Bisley will be contributing artwork to the game, though whether it’s for the packaging and / or the advertising campaign is unknown at this point.

From what it shows in the article, it looks to be pretty promising. Hope they deliver.

The article itself is actually a look at several old school franchises being resurrected for this generation of consoles. Also show in this article is a new Alien Crush pinball game for the Wii, which looks pretty damn sick.
Justin Warren
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the info! Did they mention which system it's being released for? Several different websites are saying different things. I'd love to own this for my Wii, but somehow doubt it's coming out on it.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

NeoKefka wrote:

- Bottlerocket games, the design team, are drawing heavily on Lovecraft & 80’s splatter flicks for inspiration.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

NeoKefka
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Justin Warren wrote:
Thanks for sharing the info! Did they mention which system it's being released for? Several different websites are saying different things. I'd love to own this for my Wii, but somehow doubt it's coming out on it.

Sorry to disappoint you but it seems to be just for XBox360 / PS3 only release. Comes out Mid-2009.