FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Torchwood
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:13 am  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

I agree with the assessment that this year is better than last year, but to be a prick...

Saying Season 2 is better than Season One isn't much of a compliment, since if this year was any worse than the first season they might as well have just outright canceled it.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:37 pm  Reply with quote

To each his own.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:37 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Yeah.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:34 am  Reply with quote

I'm of the opinion that it's hard-bitten, extremely well-written and straight up one of the absolute best genre shows currently on the air. As a fan of intelligent, character-driven science fiction, this show is a breath of fresh air to me, and I find myself eagerly anticipating it every week. So yeah, not only an improvement over last season, but a metamorphosis into downright excellence and an absolutely outstanding addition to the DOCTOR WHO canon.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:09 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Messiah, are you a fan of current "New Era" Doctor Who?

Were you a watcher of "classic" Who?

If so what is your take/comparison on the new show to the old show?

(though I do feel that it is the same show, just different eras like the 60's Hartnell episodes are light years away from 80's McCoy era stories)
Sorry to go all "20 Questions" on you.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

thedudeabides wrote:
Messiah, are you a fan of current "New Era" Doctor Who?

Were you a watcher of "classic" Who?

If so what is your take/comparison on the new show to the old show?

(though I do feel that it is the same show, just different eras like the 60's Hartnell episodes are light years away from 80's McCoy era stories)
Sorry to go all "20 Questions" on you.

Yes, I'm a fan of classic Who, particularly the Tom Baker years, when I began watching religiously. In fact, isn't that the era that made most folks of our generation fans?

I'm only a moderate fan of new Who, meaning that I like certain episodes very much, others not so much. I think Davies is far and away the weakest writer on the show, and his episodes tend to make me wince. However, Moffat's scripts are fantastic with no exception, and I'm excited at the thought of him taking over as showrunner. If you're asking if I think the show is as consistently rocking as it was when guys like Terry Nation were writing, then I'll of course say "no." That doesn't mean there aren't some quite good episodes. I like Tennant and Ageyman just fine. Glad to be rid of Billie Piper.

Right now, I'm of the opinion that Torchwood is much stronger scifi than current Doctor Who. The storylines this season have been on the whole more interesting, engaging ad better-written than those on Who, and at least Torchwood actually has a reason for taking place only on Earth (yeah, I'm tired of Who always coming back to freaking London, too) and the characters are all layered and believable.

Of course, it's also notable that Davies hasn't written a Torchwood ep since the pilot which is likely why it just keeps getting better.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:56 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

I agree that Davies is the weakest part of this revival. In my opinion he's one of those long ago fans that always wanted to make Dr. Who and "correct" them.

People like him and Mark Gatiss and a bunch of other writers that used to write for the Virgin Books line of New Adventures were much like that: In interviews they always stated that they wanted to "fix" what was wrong with Dr. Who.

Amazing that they forget it was that so called flawed show that they supposedly fell in love with and helped provide them jobs years on down the line.

Also, New Who, for all their posturing and self congratulatory BS is the most inconsistant show right now. It can have some truely spectacular episodes followed by some absolutely horrid clunkers.
(for an explanation of my congratulatory BS comment, just check out any interview with any of the principal people behind the scenes...I've never seen people so in love with themselves...)

And I agree that Torchwood has been cnsistant and very sure of itself this year, much more than last season, which I felt was meandering and just too scattered in what it wanted to do.

I like how this team seems like more of a team this season, even when confronted with the most difficult of situations. It is a light year improvement from last season.
I just do not like the episodes as a whole. When watching them, I just feel unsatisfied. True, the writing is good in places, but then I find the direction or the pacing to be lacking... then in another episode I find just the opposite.

Maybe because I've seen concepts like this as far back as Sapphire & Steele, but Torchwood, while not feeling stale, is starting to feel very generic. To me, it's becoming very interchangable with any other kind of new millenium sci-fi.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:27 am  Reply with quote

I still gotta say it's been a decent season so far, and i'm curious as to how it's going to play out.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:42 am  Reply with quote

And there you have it.

SPOILER

R.I.P.-Toshiko&Owen
YouGetNoArt4freeFanBoys
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:04 am  Reply with quote

Then again, if Torchwood as a series were to never have happened, Davies would never have been able to add that "Castro Street Faire" element to the Doctor.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:09 am  Reply with quote

Seeing this thread title made me want to go back and watch the first season again. Loved it. I enjoy the first season more than the second, partially because there are more independent non-arc episodes. I grow weary of carefully-planned-but-obviously story arcs. There are some clinkers - the cyber-woman and the cannibal episodes particularly - but I love the fairies episode, Tosh's alien romance, and the plane from the 50's...all excellent to watch. I like the pace of the season and the lack of the required-by-TV-drama-law angst between main characters I'm supposed to (and do) care for. However, I hate the season finale. That particular science-fiction plot escape clause irritates me to no end. Such a lack of consequences, I can see that cliche coming a mile away. The Satoshi Kon anime "Paprika" is the only film/show to properly and successfully detour that cliche and show the logical aftermath of it, and I love the film all the more for it.

I haven't seen the final season yet, so I skipped all other posts.
YouGetNoArt4freeFanBoys
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:35 am  Reply with quote

I wanted to like the faeries ep, but I HATE reconstructionist claptrap (the ep was still VERY well written, however).

In fact, I'd say the only CRAP episode was "ooooooh no, massah, here come dah big white bwanah version of da DEVIL like'a that scene in Mistah Disney's Fantasia/Night on Balllllllld Mountain!"

TOTALLY COCKLESS GENERIC CRAP.

which is quite surprising, since I get the impression Mr. Davies has nothing against cocks at all.