FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> FIRES RISING--MY NEW NOVEL
Mr. Gray
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:20 pm  Reply with quote

I'm one of those weirdos who shells out the $10.50 a month for the Leisure Horror club (for good or ill), so I should be getting my copy automatically. With Fires Rising and Laymon's Cuts, March looks like one of the good months.

It'll be my first Laimo book; I'm looking forward to it.
mlaimo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

Folks are starting to get their preordered copies...
mlaimo
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:59 pm  Reply with quote

FIRES RISING NOW AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE

Okay, this is the official announcement: my fifth Leisure Books horror novel, FIRES RISING, has been released and is now available wherever books are sold.

FIRES RISING is a true horror novel, in every respect of the word. From the prologue to the final chapter, this book bleeds horror. It's a visceral romp of terror that takes place in the streets of Manhattan, at the onset of apocalypse. It's a supernatural story, of good vs. evil and the dire results that result. There's something here for every horror fan: demons and zombies and religious desecration. It is the most visceral book I've ever written. It's a horror novel, in every sense of the word, with monsters and action in nearly every chapter.

It is the perfect book for someone who has never read something by me. It is also the perfect book for those who are familiar with my work, as there are tons of inside references to my novels and my friends. I hope you'll show your support by picking up a copy of FIRES RISING.

Yes, your support. Where would I be without it? I've got five novels under my belt, and it's solely because you, the reader and horror lover, have bought one or more of my books. But a writer is only as good as his most recent book's sales. Publishing is a business, and it doesn't matter how talented a writer you are, it's the numbers that count the most. This is why I need to ask you to consider buying a copy of FIRES RISING.

Yes--I need to reach out to you: my fans, my friends, my family, my readers, and ask of you to do your part to help support me and my work.

I am VERY pleased with FIRES RISING. I think it is my best work to date. My editor, and the few critics who've read it agree, which allows me to say this with conviction.

So what can you do to help?

If you frequent a particular message board, talk about Fires Rising there. Recommend it to your fellow board members and include links to The Horror-Mall, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Deep Discount, BAMM, or wherever else the book is sold. After the book's release, go to your local bookstore (or grocery store, etc.). Find Fires Rising. Face the copies out. This means turning the books around on the shelf so that the front cover is facing out towards the customer, rather than the spine. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Faced-out books drive sales better than anything else.

I'm a big believer in the power of Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble.com reviews, and I encourage you to leave one there. Also make sure you TAG Fires Rising on Amazon. This helps bring the book up when folks do searches for their favorite kind of horror.

NOW HERE'S THE BIG ONE: Buy extra copies of the book. Give them to your friends, your family, send them to soldiers, or send me one and I'll sign it for you. Leave them on the train, the bus, in malls, airplanes, airport lounges, Starbucks, and anywhere else folks gather. Someone will pick it up, and I'll have a new reader.

PLEASE: buy a copy of FIRES RISING now, online, and then buy another one at your bookstore. I've written a sequel to my bestselling DEEP IN THE DARKNESS. I want this book in your hands. The only way that's going to happen is if you put FIRES RISING in your hands.

Soon I'll be announcing a great contest testing you on the contents of FIRES RISING, so get your copy now, read it, and get ready to win.

As always, I appreciate your support. It means as much to me now as it did with my very first novel ATMOSPHERE. As long as you keep reading, I'll be able to keep writing.

Thank you,

Michael Laimo
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:40 am  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

Michael's additon to Dreadtime Stories, an excerpt from Fires Rising, is now up! Check it out here!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:37 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

Ugh. For some reason the file cuts off after 2:45, no idea why. Can't fix till tonight, but I will let you all know when it is...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:37 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

All better get listening!
mlaimo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Hey all,

Just had a COOL FIRES RISING screensaver made. Download one here for free:

http://www.mediafire.com/?x01j4g0k1zn

It's virus and spyware free, so not to worry. Authors (or anyone else for that matter), if you're interested in getting one, my friend John Hempstead makes them. He can be contacted through his website at http://www.morphosiscomics.com.

Michael
mlaimo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:27 am  Reply with quote

Some FIRES RISING reviews:

http://www.horrorworld.org/reviews.htm (scroll down to third review)

http://www.horror-web.com/reviews/YaBB.cgi?board=Books;action=display;num=1204406387

http://nickcato.livejournal.com/
mlaimo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

Hey all,

Just a quick note to let you know there's a brand new interview with me up at the Writer's Break website. Check it out here:

http://www.writersbreak.com
mlaimo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Hope everyone is doing well, and is gearing up for Spring. I know I am. And with this, there’s lots going on.

Firstly, my novel FIRES RISING, a Leisure Books paperback, is out in stores and is getting fabulous reviews (except for the one here at Dread Central, but that's good too--bad reviews sell books and this one is no exception). It’s a fun romp of a book, and my readers have been letting me know about it. I truly urge you to check out FIRES RISING, as this will help pave the way for my next novel RETURN TO DARKNESS, the long-awaited sequel to DEEP IN THE DARKNESS. I cannot stress the importance of your support for FIRES RISING—as writing is a business, this book must do well in order for RETURN TO DARKNESS see print. But you know that already. So go on out and get a copy of FIRES RISING now!

Hey, if it’s good enough for Germany, then it’s good enough for you! That’s right. FIRES RISING has been picked up by German publisher Otherworld Verlag, and will be published in hardback in Germany in 2009. So for all my fans in Germany, expect the book to be hitting the shelves there in 2009.

As mentioned in an earlier announcement, my new short story collection DARK RIDE is now available from Borderlands Press, and can be ordered through the BorderlandsPress.com website. There are only 500 copies, all signed and numbered, containing 23 stories, and a groovy introduction by Brian Keene. I have my copies, and it is a GORGEOUS book. Buy one now and make me happy. It’ll make publisher Tom Monteleone happy too.

I’ve been working on a number of short stories, and plan to do some more. I’ve enjoyed this bit of time between books to work on some odd projects. And when Summer rolls around, I’ll be getting to work on my psychological horror novel PANIC.

Thanks for listening, and please, pick up a copy of FIRES RISING today.

Michael