Burger King Trying to Ban IT in Russia

default-featured-image

This story is so ridiculous that it sounds like something straight out of The Onion. But no, this actually comes from The Hollywood Reporter and is sadly not a hoax.

Burger King’s Russian division has demanded that IT be banned in the country. In a complaint filed with the Federal Anti-Monopoly Service (FAS), they stated that Pennywise looks like Ronald McDonald, and the film therefore serves as an advertisement for McDonald’s. And that apparently gives them a valid reason to want to ban the film. Because, you know, free speech be damned. They also don’t seem to comprehend that Pennywise is actually the villain of the film.

We couldn’t make this shit up if we tried. I look at stupidity like this, and I really feel like we’re devolving and going backwards as a species, rather than moving forwards. Needless to say, I didn’t walk out of the theater after seeing It feeling like I was craving a Big Mac and fries.

Anyway, It was directed by Andres Muschietti and has already grossed $482 million worldwide. I suppose, by Burger King’s logic, that number is going to lead to a lot of Happy Meals being sold.

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: