FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Torchwood
RingoJ
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not saying I hate the relationships, just saying i'd like them to spend more time crafting good episodes and less time figuring out who's snogging who this week.

The dialogue was pretty witty, with the "Obi-Wan" bit causing me to LOL! for a bit.

And I also find Eve Myles to be strangely hot.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:05 am  Reply with quote

I also quite liked the opening:

"Excuse me, did you happen to see a blowfish come through here driving a sportscar?"

"Bloody Torchwood!"

And one of my favorite bits came at the end during the "Coming this season" preview.

TOSH: Multiple nuclear warheads are launching. It's the end of the world.

OWEN: The end of the world. Let's all have sex!

IANTO: Oh God, just when I thought it couldn't get any worse!
RingoJ
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:33 am  Reply with quote

Owen is the one i'd miss the least.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:29 am  Reply with quote

Well Ringo, you got your wish, as the newest episode, "Sleeper" was more plot-heavy than the premiere. And what a plot it was! The idea of a sleeper cell consisting of aliens sent out as the point guard for an invasion was both timely (the terrorist analogy is obvious) and well-handled. Loved the moment when the various agents were activated and then proceeded to cause mass havoc around England (and we even got a baby carriage flung into oncoming traffic -- yeesh!) There was some really stellar guest acting this time around as well, and Nikki Amuku-Bird, who played Beth, the alien suicide bomber who has a crisis of conscience when her implanted personality realizes her own nefarious purpose, did one hell of a job. For a character only appearing in a single episode, Beth was particularly well-developed.

Also loved the "blade-arms" that these mysterious aliens sport.

I've got a strong feeling that we haven't seen the last of this plotline. As one alien said, "We're already here."

All in all, this was strong stuff. More proof that TORCHWOOD is quickly becoming appointment television.

4.0 out of 5.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Sweet, I so rarely get what I wish for.

Downloading now.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:00 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

I'm not impressed with this season at all. It's all the same stuff that I disliked from last season all over again.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:49 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, I'm having a ton of fun with it this season, and I feel that it's finally found its voice. It also seems to have much more momentum.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:57 pm  Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for Freema to show up.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:11 am  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

As I stated in the Doctor Who thread - I think I am incapable of enjoying new Dr. Who...

that being said, I readily admit that I think it's going to be hard for me to overcome my dislike of Season One of Torchwood, and enjoy this season for what it is.

Maybe it's my total disgust of everything Russel T. Davies has touched lately, but I do not find the writing or relationships fleshed out in the slightest.

It still reeks to me of uninspired writing falling back on the "lets use sex to show we're adult programming" cliche instead of actual intelligent plotting.

For as cutting edge and post-watershed the show claims to be, it sure seems immature to me and just sloppy and psuedo-vulger/sexual just because it can.

I can almost see the writers and producers slapping each other on the arms after reading their naughty lines and situations in the script and saying, "Oh behave!" in an Austin Powers voice.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:14 am  Reply with quote

Have you watched the second episode yet, dude?
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:18 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Not yet. I will most likely watch it this weekend.

I really am going to give it a shot, but I'm so far (yes, after one episode Wink )turned off to this season.

But, we'll see.
Legba
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

Last night's episode kinda caught me off guard with its schlockiness. Plesantly I must say. Very Happy I liked how it walked a tightrop between between Beth's dire strait as as the 'sympathethic monster' - punctuated by some fairly outlandish dialog and moments. HD Net is airing the uncut version on Febuary 18th.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:14 am  Reply with quote

They aired two episodes tonight, and Martha was in the second one. In fact, it looks like she'll be sticking around for a while.

SPOILER AHEAD

SPOILER AHEAD

Owen is shot and killed in the second episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
NYC-Hearts
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:50 am  Reply with quote

I don't have much to say specifically about the second series/season, but I think it's a substantial improvement over the first season. Barrowman still can't act (he's a 21st century Shatner: a truly awesome force, but...an actor? not quite), but nevertheless this season...resonates. As MM said, this is "appointment" television. I just hope the rumours about major cast and thematic changes for season 3 are proven to be false...
RingoJ
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Overall, Season 2 has been better. I had my doubts as to how they'd work out this whole "Undead Owen" thing, but they haven't done a bad job of it so far.

Now i'm just waiting to see what/who the Big Bad is gonna be.