FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Trash Cinephile - an irreverent guide to exploitation cinema
Trash Cinephile
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Just letting everyone know about my brand new horror and exploitation film reference guide. Trash Cinephile is an irreverent guide to horror, biker flicks, blaxploitation, sex hygiene pictures, drug warning films, bruceploitation, W.I.P, rape & revenge, roughies, and much much more!

It's now available from http://www.amazon.com

Here's the direct link if anyone's interested: http://www.amazon.com/Trash-Cinephile-Blake-Ryan/dp/1600760600/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203931022&sr=8-1
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

I find it a bit funny that you've written a review of your own book.
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!
Trash Cinephile
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:21 pm  Reply with quote

Well, it's actually a product description as I clearly stated on Amazon. I have promptly deleted it just to please you. All this fan negativity is the main problem with the genre nowadays...
Terminal
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:46 pm  Reply with quote

It's a product description. Everyone does it.

As for the book, it looks fantastic. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:14 pm  Reply with quote

I don't buy books online, because I'm way too habitual about the bookstores I shop in, but if I saw a copy of this on the shelves I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. I'm glad a few people are still writing and publishing film texts like this one. While I love having so much historical film info easily available online, there's still something special about having it collected in a book. That's how I learned about the genre, through old copies of film books. Keep it up! Looks like a cool tome.
Terminal
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:27 pm  Reply with quote

I'm the same way UF, but I'm very compelled to buy it online. I'm definitely considering it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:03 am  Reply with quote

I need to open a book and flip through it, check out the writing, check out the layout, font, design, photos, the whole package. I'd certainly scoop this one up if I saw it. I still turn to the classic IMMORAL TALES book to fill out my knowledge of genre world cinema. I'm interested to know how detailed this book is. Is it set up as a series of essays taking us through the years involved, or is it more like a reference book? I've got enough reference books on the subject, so unless there are new titles uncovered I might not need this one. But I'm always up for reading someone's intelligent analysis of a film, particularly if it doesn't just mirror my own opinions.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:10 am  Reply with quote

Now that I think of it, Franco makes a great point.

Is it a reference book, or a series of essays?
Trash Cinephile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:26 am  Reply with quote

Trash Cinephile is more a reference book, as it concentrates more on bizarre and obscure exploitation films (e.g. U.S.S. V.D-Ship of Shame, The Zero Boys, Body Melt)that would be difficult to pigeonhole. Thanks for the interest in it though. I think you guys would still like it. At $12.99 it's less expensive than a lot of reference guides, and I'm getting some good feedback on it.

I see where you're coming from on buying books Francostein. For me here in Australia though, online is the only option. There simply aren't any cool bookstores around here.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:00 am  Reply with quote

Oh no, I'm still really interested in buying it. I just may. Seriously.
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

To the author: You couldn't get amazon.com to have a product description though?
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!