PAX West 2017: Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes Takes The Series to New Heights of Crazy

default-featured-image

In the weeks leading up to the release of the Wii game No More Heroes, director Suda51 repeatedly promised that his crazy cel-shaded action adventure would be one of the most violent games ever made, and at one point he even said that he wanted to make it even more violent than Manhunt 2, which had recently been refused a certificate from the Image result for British Board of Film Classification and had also been awarded a rare Adults Only rating from the ESRB. So I’ll never forget the cold empty feeling in my stomach when I learned that all the gore would be removed from the Japanese and European releases of No More Heroes to adhere to local censorship regulations (note that the gore was added back in the European PS3 port three years later).

The third game in the series, Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, was revealed at PAX East and will be released exclusively on the Nintendo Switch later this year. It will once again feature regular protagonist and professional assassin Travis Touchdown as he finds himself hunted by the father of one of his previous victims. Travis’ will also once again be wielding his trademark lightsaber (sorry, beam katana), and his foes will never know what hit them.

In keeping with the insane tone of most Grasshopper Manufacture games, the plot of Travis Strikes Again will also feature Travis being sucked into a game console and having to fight through levels inspired by classic indie games such as Shovel Knight and Hotline Miami. Can’t get much crazier than that.

Anyway, I’m hoping to God that the gore, which has become a trademark of the series, will remain intact in all international releases this time. It’s also currently unclear if this will be open world like the first game, or if it will follow a more linear approach like the second. Overall though, seeing as the first two entries didn’t exactly ship Call of Duty numbers, I’m just glad we’re getting a third.

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: